Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Anything besides a Camelbak

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a Hydration pack. I have been looking and like the camelbak, but am a noob and just cant justify the cost... yet.

Are there any reputable alternatives to the camelbak brand? I don't want to spend $50 just to have a leaking blatter in a few months.

Natural Born Killer
    I've got a Lezyne Svelte pack that I've been using for over a year. It's more cycling specific than most packs and I'm really loving it. It has lots of pockets and compartments. Some of the reviews I've seen complain about slow flow from the bite valve, but I've had no problems. Just a suggestion, you could try retrofitting a camelbak bladder into another generic(cheap) pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Cumbria, England.
    What about one of these: Jenson link. Unbelievably cheap!
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great find, right in my price range and the reputation/quality of Camelbak. Gonna order tonight. Thanks for your help.

Huckin' trails
    If it's not too late, I'd like to suggest you take a look at Dakine's packs. You might find one that fit you good, but the best part is they offer a life-time no-leak warranty on their bladder. If for some reason you get your bladder to leak, bring it in to their customer service and they'll get you a new one no question asked (beside filling a report form if you have to mail it if you can't make it to their office).

I crashed and went OTB and rolled on my back a few months ago. The tools in my pack and my body blew and punctured the bladder. They got me a new one and I even had the guy handed to me first hand since I was to leave town in a few days and needed a new bladder.

They treated me right and I'll buy from them again without doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have looked at Dakine.

Right now I am between the Dakine Session, Osprey Viper 10, and Camelbak Consiarge.

Save Jesus
    Also Deuter and Vaude. I consider both to be superior to my Camelbak. Search these forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Also Deuter and Vaude. I consider both to be superior to my Camelbak. Search these forums.
    I love my Deuter. Well made and the pack is held away from my back, making it cooler to wear. The only problem was that I had to replace the bite valve as it was too slow for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Hydrapak

Hydrapak

Good quality, lots of sizes, and the folks that work for them are super nice and actually ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought a hydrapak a few months ago. It's absolutely wonderful. Seemed a bit pricey in the beginning, but loved it since the beginning. It's only a few months old, but its still holding up & looking knew.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    anybody know anything about Vaude's bladder warranty? I love the pack and got it on sale for a great price but the bladder started leaking after a year of rather infrequent use.

Save Jesus
    my vaude bladder sux anyway and I don't use it. I replaced it with a platypus which has no plastic taste.

Oh, I mean, my vaude bladder is awesome and barely used. Please buy mine off of me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've got a hydrapack. I've only used it once so far, so I can't give much of a review. I do know it leaked like crazy where the hose plugs into the bladder. Probably going to have to use some plumber's tape there to keep from getting soaked.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Geigerrig packs are fantastic and have a lifetime warranty!

Sent from my Android!
    Last edited by rogerfromco; 09-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    my vaude bladder sux anyway and I don't use it. I replaced it with a platypus which has no plastic taste.

Oh, I mean, my vaude bladder is awesome and barely used. Please buy mine off of me!
    yeah I could never get the plastic taste out of mine either, and I tried everything hence I wasn't really that bummed that it started leaking. But I'm having trouble finding a replacement bladder that doesn't cost nearly as much as a whole new pack on sale

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    yeah I could never get the plastic taste out of mine either, and I tried everything hence I wasn't really that bummed that it started leaking. But I'm having trouble finding a replacement bladder that doesn't cost nearly as much as a whole new pack on sale
    Dakine's bladder have a lifetime warranty against leaks... And they are pretty nice too. Check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had good luck with a high-sierra. I think it was $20. The bite valve leaked and I just called the company and got a replacement, no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Check out "Outdoor Products" - they have rather decent stuff for HALF the price of Osprey or Camelbak.

To put it short, I've been using my OP hydration pack (which also carries my tubes, hiking equip, etc) for a solid 5 years and it's still going strong. Cost me $30.

I can't post links yet, but search for OUTDOOR PRODUCT RIPCORD HYDRATION PACK

It kicks ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have used the Camelbak Mule for 10-15 years but also have several of the 'High Sierra' models from Costco that I use when dirt biking. They are a whopping $20 each and have never been an issue. Even if they were, Costco takes anything back on returns.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I actually ended up buying a Osprey Viper 10. I am very happy with my purchase. I actually tore the bladder a few weeks after purchasing it, snagged it taking out of the fridge. Emailed the company with some pics and a week later I had a new bladder. Definately recommend Osprey.

mtbr member
    I really like my Osprey Manta. There is a wire frame and mesh stand off to keep it about an inch from your body. It uses a Nalgene bladder, I think. The bladder is great, I left it in my truck and it froze, no leaks. Go to a shop and try them out, that's what I did and it was so much better than my Camelback was. There was a review on here a couple years ago that made me check them out.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/osprey-manta...in-liquid-blue

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    another vote for geigerrig! I bout their "rig" model and it rocks. the tubes have quick disconnects from the bladder and they don't leak. the bite valve doesn't leak at all and the bladder can be pressurized via a little hand pump (looks like the little black bulb the doc squeezes to pump up arm band when taking your blood pressure) so that when you bite the valve the water sprays.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just ordered a Dakine Session for $39 and free shipping. It uses a 70 oz. Hydrapak badder, I really like the idea of turning the badder inside out and running it through the dishwasher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    I'd do like beanbag and go Platypus. I've run them for years as hydro bladders. Never refill in the field, just swap out a bottle. No taste, forever guarantee. If used hard they will eventually spring a tiny leak, so having duct tape in your kit's prudent. Of the dozen or so I bought 17 years ago (for a dif sport), I've had all of them replaced at least once under warranty. I just took three of them on the CO Tr. and would again.

Cheers,

Mike

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Has anyone used the Fox XC Race Hydration pack? Pretty cheap at $39.95 and has a low profile. Also, anyone have a link to the Costco High Sierra packs? If they're really $20, I'd definitely pick one up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast