Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I think REI has their brand of a water pack that is cheaper and good. I am in the process of trying to find a hydration system that mounts to my bike. I don't like backpacks and my bike doesn't have a water bottle mount that is in a good place. I saw the handle bar clip ons which are doable but not my fav. Anyone have any suggestions? Or know any brands that offer a small pack mount for your bike? Thanks for the help!

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondalegirl120 View Post
    I think REI has their brand of a water pack that is cheaper and good. I am in the process of trying to find a hydration system that mounts to my bike. I don't like backpacks and my bike doesn't have a water bottle mount that is in a good place. I saw the handle bar clip ons which are doable but not my fav. Anyone have any suggestions? Or know any brands that offer a small pack mount for your bike? Thanks for the help!
    Showers Pass VelEau 42 Hydration System - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

This was just brought up in another thread but the poster didn't have any first hand experience with it, nor do I. Interesting concept. It weighs about a pound and holds 42 oz and has some room for a few tools in the bag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondalegirl120 View Post
    I mentioned a whole line of frame mounted hydration units in anther thread but have only used your traditional camel packs. The ideas are interesting but not sure how well they work.

Here is a system that utilizes your existing bottle cage.

Speedfil F2 Aero Bottle System in Tree Fort Bikes Multi Sport Hydration (cat864)

Seat mounted bottle cage:

XLAB Delta Wing 200 Water Bottle Cage System

1-2 liter frame mount:

Hydrathon: A Multi-Purpose Water Pack For Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Osprey packs are great. I use the Viper 7 - perfect size for most rides. I think folks tend to overbuy their hydration packs...I see guys with huge packs that are riding for an hour.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the great suggestions! I am checking out all the options you all posted for the best fit. I'm going to miss having a water bottle holder on my bike ill make I work! Thanks again for the help!

mtbr *******
    Osprey is awesome. They have two really cool features that I LOVE: the magnet that keeps your mouthpiece in place so it doesn't end up banging on your knee, and a cradle so that filling your hydration pack is a breeze. You can find them on sale at Backcountry.com at 50% off bringing them within your price range, and sometimes on SierraTradingPost.com I've also seen them in the REI clearance area.

The best part is their guarantee. Anything goes wrong? They replace it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Showers Pass VelEau 42 Hydration System - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

This was just brought up in another thread but the poster didn't have any first hand experience with it, nor do I. Interesting concept. It weighs about a pound and holds 42 oz and has some room for a few tools in the bag.
    I saw one of these on someone's bike and it looked very nice. I just ordered one for my wifes bike for Christmas. We shall see how it does, the reviews I've read are encouraging.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I'm getting a Dakine Drifter for Xmas... Will let you know how it is once I take it out for a spin. Pretty easy on the wallet and holds 100oz with some gear and tool storage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Osprey packs are great. I use the Viper 7 - perfect size for most rides. I think folks tend to overbuy their hydration packs...I see guys with huge packs that are riding for an hour.
    The reason this usually happens is because we buy one pack for all our needs - everything from a 1-hour after work loop to an overnight trek. Better to err on the larger side. These things are expensive.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    The reason this usually happens is because we buy one pack for all our needs - everything from a 1-hour after work loop to an overnight trek. Better to err on the larger side. These things are expensive.
    Plus, my Dakine Builder Pack holds 4 growlers. Be prepared.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've had DaKine, Camelback and Osprey. I went to Outerbike this year and looked at some other brands too. For me, Osprey is head and shoulders above the fray in terms of user friendly design, cargo capacity, all day fit/comfort, hydration ease... everything from the magnetically held bite valve to cleaning and refilling ease... these packs are amazingly well though out. And tough. The company behind them is staffed with passionate mountain bikers and, full disclosure, I know this because I created many videos with them over the years with my production company. Great people, great men and women specific designs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had a couple dakine bladders sitting around from when I use to ski, so I went to Target and got the Coleman Revel 8. (sorry, can't post links yet)

Has plenty of room for stuff and fits nicely. Price was right too. It would make a good starter pack, and you can switch out the bladder since the one I got seemed clogged when trying to get water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    All I know is stay away from Hydrapak. Their warranty sucks. I had a leak on my bite valve on the FIRST ride out with my brand new bladder from them. It's been 6 months and multiple emails and I have yet to see a replacement. I had a leaky bite valve once on my Camelbak, had a replacement in less than a week.

toscano
    decathlon.fr
    this could be the right place

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Try a Gerber hydration Pack. I have been using one for about three yrs. Little less expensive but works well. It has proven very durable after a few wipeouts one landing flat on my back on roots and to my surpise no leaks so I am sold on the product. I bought mine at the lbs but I found this link it has lots of options

Gerber hydration pack - TheFind

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

HAWG vs MULE

Any thoughts on the HAWG vs MULE>
    Is the a downside to the larger pack?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just got a Rogue from amazon for about 40 bucks. Used it twice and really like is so far. Good luck.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    The mule is on sale from $100 down to $73 at REI. Not a ton off, but makes it a skosh easier in the wallet.

mtbr member
    100oz Fox Oasis for ~55.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Fox Oasis Hydration Pack

Ive used it for about 60 miles and love it. Quick disconnect on the pack, and the bladder works by folding it over to seal it, which makes for quick and easy filling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have used Camelbaks for years and they hold up well for what I put them through. I have also used the High Sierra brand from Costco. It worked great, I just changed the bladder to a Camelbak bladder since I prefer them. My daughter now uses the High Sierra.

I currently use a mule and it is big enough for local riding and for long day trips I bust out the old Transalp. It is huge but it can carry everything but the kitchen sink.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I'm getting a Dakine Drifter for Xmas... Will let you know how it is once I take it out for a spin. Pretty easy on the wallet and holds 100oz with some gear and tool storage.
    EDIT - I THOUGHT I was getting a Drafter for xmas. I ended up getting the Mule, which is an awesome pack. It's super comfortable, holds 100oz, and fits a TON of gear. I keep walking around my house and picking things up going "I don't really NEED this in my pack, but it couldn't hurt to have and it fits." Rain jacket, tools, spares, candy, wipes, towel, snacks, etc...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This is a much discussed subject and just like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge question it comes down to what you like.. There are a lot of good packs out there. I have been happy with my Dakine Drafter and Nomad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

ch-ch-ch-changes...

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Lad View Post
    This is a much discussed subject and just like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge question it comes down to what you like.. There are a lot of good packs out there. I have been happy with my Dakine Drafter and Nomad.
    I agree that this is much discussed, but with good reason: things change, but people get stuck with what they like sometimes. And by stuck I mean happy rather than complacent. If we've got a hydration unit that we like, that's great. And we like to feel good about our decision in the face of market changes and the mods that make some newer pack designs desirable. So, I'd just like to chime in once again to say that I appreciate all the comments posted here. Things change, and when I'm in the market for something I'm glad I can come here for advice.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I too use and love the Viper 7. Its a big improvement over other hydration packs I've had in the past. It has 70 oz capacity with a little pouch big enough to carry a spare tube and a couple of small tools. (I rarely fill it all the up.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's a long term investment for the future so consider your purchase choice wisely. CamelBak is the leader in hydration packs and for good reason...just my .02

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast