Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nocturnal oblivion

Any vegetarian riders out there?

I've always enjoyed bacon and steak as much as the next guy, but I've read a few books now that really make me question the trust we give to the meat industries. So I'm considering dropping meat altogether.
    The question is, how do you do it? How can you get enough calories after a long ride? How do you not get bored of rice and beans?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

is buachail foighneach me
    Calories?? Meat has relatively few calories compared to carb/fat rich foods. Animal fats do contain the highest concentration calories, but they're really bad for you. If health is the main goal, I would recommend cutting out dairy before cutting out meat.

If you're worried about supporting shady industries, you would probably need to go live in a cave to truly get away from all of them.

Ethics? Dairy is just as bad as meat in that department. Actually worse. What's less ethical, letting an animal roam around all day and do as it pleases, then killing it quickly and efficiently(most of the time), or mechanically raping it throughout it's life?

Before anyone get's their panties in a wad, I eat both meat and cheese, but in limited quantities. I couldn't care less about the ethics, only the health risks/benefits.

However, I used to be vegan, and was at one time a raw foodist. I had no problems with energy, and completed my first century when I was on an entirely raw foods diet. Veggie isn't just rice and beans. You've got all sorts of possibilities for variety with fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and grains.

mtbr member
    Rice and bean burritos after a ride. Stuff with tofu, etc. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I get 20 miles to the burrito! Been a vege since 1973 and never get tired of beans. Do you get tired of steak? Not a big rice eater, high mucous food. If you get tired of the beans there's always pizza, Mexican food, Chinese, Italian, Indian... I do eat lots of fresh fruit and more nuts in winter.
    Try reading Arnold Ehret "Rational Fasting" or Mucusless Diet Healing System".
    agmtb

AZ
    banned
    Quinoa, it is a complete protein.

mtbr member
    Life without meat is no life at all.
    :wq

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    The question is, how do you do it? How can you get enough calories after a long ride? How do you not get bored of rice and beans?
    Avocado sandos, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, fruits are all high in calories. There's a wide world of foods beyond animal products. It is not boring at all opening up a sense of taste to many times more flavors.

Over 15 years ago I went vegi to reduce a high cholesterol blood count. And to avoid being drug dependent to lower cholesterol. And to better my effort to live lighter on this little planet.

To my surprise my endurance for long rides and concentration at software development work increased a lot. And increasing yearly allergy symptoms disappeared over 2 years from weeks and months of suffering to an occasional sneeze or cough attack from dust or pollen, to last a few seconds or minutes at most. Also colds and flues reduced too, to about once or twice every 2 years.

slap happy
    vegetarians lol.
    humans are at the top of the food chain for a reason, and it isn't so we can eat bean curd and raw vegetables.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

nocturnal oblivion
    The toughest thing I imagine will be milk and yogurt, sort of staples of my diet.

Bro Mountainbiker
    im either vegetarian or vegan. Usually what ever is trendier at the moment.

All joking aside, meat is good for you. Especially if you are an athlete like us.

Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I gained almost 12 pounds in a month eating vegetarian.. Ive talked to a small group of people who had similar results.

Its a lot of work to prepare balanced and healthy meals.. its even more work to do it without any healthy lean meats, and your body wont necessarily like it.

Theres nothing wrong with meat. Theres nothing really wrong with not eating eat either, but dont buy into a few authors propaganda. We're biologically fine eating meat, and a few scare stores dont speak for the whole industry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For best overall health, physical and ethical, do as much eating as you can from your local farmers. You should be able to find eggs, meat, milk and yogurt without much problem. I highly recommend raw (unpasteurized) milk and milk products. Unless you are nursing an infant.

This is a great cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tra.../dp/0967089735
    This http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ is a great place to connect with farmers.

No doubt eating heavily hormone and antibiotic dosed, only corn fed, penned up animals is pretty horrific for your body, but it is also horrific for the animals involved, for the farm/ slaughter house workers, traditional farming communities, and the environment overall.

But eating flesh, dairy, and eggs from animals that have been raised by people that care is probably the best thing you can do for your body and community.
    Last edited by Hellav8ted; 04-30-2011 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    As a vegetarian their is so much more you can eat than just rice and beans. The list goes on and on: fruits, nuts , whole grains , huge variety of veggies, etc.

My own experience with being a vegetarian has been quite positive. I have been that way for 17 years. I sleep better, I have more energy, I am calmer, I can concentrate for longer periods of time without fatigue. The energy level I get from my current diet also seems to be much more stable and consistent than what I use to experience in my pre-veggie days.

If you only eat 3 meals a day currently you may find you would benefit from 5 smaller meals a day instead when you make the switch.
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Quinoa, it is a complete protein.
    +1
    quinoa is a seed and seeds are the only vegan source of complete protein, quinoa is basically the perfect balance of fat carbs and protein .. Add raw honey after its done cooking and it is gooood eating..
    Seeds are great not only for protein but for essential fatty acids:
    I like flax and chia seeds in the morning = omega 3s for energy
    and hemp seeds after rides and/or at night = omega 6s for protein synthesis

I do not eat Gluten , I decided to try gluten free after I heard pro cycling teams were doing it and I would absolutely never go back ... Anyone who hasn't tried , go two weeks gluten free and judge for yourself .

Blackstrap mollasses is a good vegan source of iron and calcium

Afric Pepperbird
    Is a vegetarian with the runs really called a salad shooter??

nocturnal oblivion
    What are your on the go tasty snacks/meals? Nuts are the obvious that come to mind, hummus and veggies is good too. I'm going to need ideas.
    And I agree with you Hellav8ted, you hit my primary concerns. My cholesterol is actually really good and I'm nowhere near overweight; my concern is the unregulated industry. I also just want to try it and see. If I spend less money, eat more veggies, and feel better it'd be worth it.

trail snacks: 90% of commercially available granola bars, trail mix, dried fruit(I like dried mangoes), nuts, seeds, cookies, crackers. Macadamia nuts and craisins with some brown sugar and sea salt added is a very tasty, healthy trailside snack. Mini potatoes are also good. Cooked if you're gonna eat them warm/hot, raw if you're gonna eat them cold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    my concern is the unregulated industry. I also just want to try it and see. If I spend less money, eat more veggies, and feel better it'd be worth it.
    Definitely pick up Nourishing Traditions and learn how to source and prepare food.

Can't recommend it enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've always heard that "vegetarian" was an old indian word that means bad hunter.

DynoDon
    the Meatrix, check this info out.. at the end you can put in your area code and find Farm Fresh Foods in your area.
    I think local veggies are the best choice, the animals eat them, then we eat the animal, why get them second hand ??

http://www.themeatrix.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is some interesting reading about the global food industry, and it's impacts on people's lives.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/the_food_issue

This is a gallery of what a 'typical' family around the world eat.

http://fud.smugmug.com/gallery/46652...75574459_Xs57b

Back at it
    My wife has been vegan for over a year now, I eat very little meat. Never felt better.
    Crave SL SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've always enjoyed bacon and steak as much as the next guy, but I've read a few books now that really make me question the trust we give to the meat industries. So I'm considering dropping meat altogether.
    I highly recommend anyone thinking about dropping meat and fat to read these books first:

http://www.amazon.com/Trick-Treat-he...4257687&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Health...4257687&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...4257748&sr=1-1

I agree the meat industry as a whole is no good. Profit driven to the extreme. Watch "Food, Inc." if you haven't seen it. Most of our meats are of poor quality and full of additives and chemicals. I eat only grassfed/grassfinished beef and it's unlike anything you might find at any grocery store. Most likely you'll be able to find a farmer near you where you can buy this. I eat a near zero carb diet and feel fabulous and full of energy...as soon as I eat some carbs I get all bloated, heart races, cold sweats etc.

Don't quit meat, just find a quality source.

Matt

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Avocado sandos, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, fruits are all high in calories. There's a wide world of foods beyond animal products. It is not boring at all opening up a sense of taste to many times more flavors.

Over 15 years ago I went vegi to reduce a high cholesterol blood count. And to avoid being drug dependent to lower cholesterol. And to better my effort to live lighter on this little planet.

To my surprise my endurance for long rides and concentration at software development work increased a lot. And increasing yearly allergy symptoms disappeared over 2 years from weeks and months of suffering to an occasional sneeze or cough attack from dust or pollen, to last a few seconds or minutes at most. Also colds and flues reduced too, to about once or twice every 2 years.
    Derby, all my hay fever allergies disappeared after becoming a vegetarian as well, & like you, I almost never get sick anymore either.
    I think meat requires a ton of energy to digest, I used to just about fall asleep after a hefty meat meal.

mtbr member
    as a trail snack, I really like PBJ sandwich. Especially with good bread.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

AZ
    banned
    Trail snack, Yam baked with olive oil, PB and honey sammich.

Afric Pepperbird
    I'll have to try that Peanut Butter and Bacon snack as raved about in this thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Since I went veggie quote - “I almost never get sick anymore either.”

Are you sure this has a lot to do with a diet change? I have noticed that in the last 10 yrs the general population seems to have a lower incident of cold and flu. More people washing their hands properly, staying home from work and not spreading it around, etc. I’m not a doctor – just a personal observation.

I tried going veggie for a while in my early twenties. I bought a variety of books and followed a proper balanced diet. I got a wild lands fire fighter job in Mammoth (8,000’) on a Heli-Attack Hot Shot Crew. I noticed that cuts took weeks to heal and mentioned this to one of the ‘old guys’ (thirty something - grin).
    Rick - “Do you eat meat?”
    Me – “No”
    Rick – “I was a veg and had the same problem. I started eating meat again and now my cuts heal in a few days.”
    Sure enough, I started eating meat again and my cuts healed normally.

There is no question that being able to cut a 2” thick chicken breast with a fork is WRONG but you can buy organically raised meat at the health food store. It cost more – so eat less…

If we weren’t supposed to eat meat, why does BBQ smell so good?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I converted last year, but I remain a octo-lavo, eating cage free, organic eggs and an occassional half-and-half in my coffee when Almond Milk is not available.

Coming from a Filipino family, I was raised on fried rice with spam and eggs. And although that sounds delicious - it's horrible. When I discovered you can be vegetarian and still have good tasting food, I was down for it. Made life easier for my wife who's a vegan.

I didn't convert for health reasons primarily - I did it because I think the meat industry, aside from local organic farmers, is a nasty, nasty, nasty business. Everyone complains about cruelty to animals - but some guy kicking his dog pails in comparision to what the meat industry does to animals. I don't want my money to go towards that sort of thing.

Hunt your meat or buy from a local, organic farmer if you're going to eat meat. I have more respect for hunters (I am a NRA member/gun enthusiast) than I do for those who turn a blind eye to what the meat industry is doing to animals, as well as creating hazardous conditions for people with poor food handling.

What?
    I have been a vegetarian (but not vegan) for almost a year. I havent noticed much of a difference in how I feel. I still have plenty of energy and feel great, but I felt fine before. Im not a PETA member and I have no problems with the idea of eating meat. I stopped eating meat after learning about all the hormones they stuff into the animal getting them to grow faster and what not, and what they can do to the people who eat it.

After the first month, I stopped missing meat all together. I still use dairy products. Mostly cheese and skim milk and sour cream, but I try to limit it. Once you come up with a list of meals and foods to eat it not hard at all.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellav8ted
    Definitely pick up Nourishing Traditions and learn how to source and prepare food.

I looked into this, and the other Amazon books mentioned above. The author Sally Fallon is president of WAPF, while Barry Groves (author of the other mentioned books) is a board member. WAPF is a group that believes in high cholesterol, high fat diets. They follow the mantra of a dentist who wrote in the 1930's named Weston A. Price, creating a foundation following his beliefs.
    On their website a picture of a family: "They're happy because they eat butter." Another of their prominent members, Chris Masterjohn denies a difference LDL vs HDL cholesterol science and writes about how his attempt at vegetarianism "nearly killed" him, caused him to loose his teeth, and have panic attacks. Then he discovered WAPF.
    Sounds like an odd agenda, and it has worked so well for so many Americans.

US Soccer

Thanks for letting me know about this book!

Just bought it on my Kindle for $9.99

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    I stopped eating meat after learning about all the hormones they stuff into the animal getting them to grow faster and what not, and what they can do to the people who eat it.

Pack a rifle on your rides & kill your own meat.

Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    XC, that is legit!
    How do you haul out your kill?
    How much dressing do you do in the field?
    Please forgive my ignorance, I've only dressed roadkill (deer that's still warm on very cold nights) and live stock, and we've always taken care to use all the blood and offal, but that's a lot of weight to pack out of the backcountry.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    XC, that is legit!
    How do you haul out your kill?
    How much dressing do you do in the field?
    Please forgive my ignorance, I've only dressed roadkill (deer that's still warm on very cold nights) and live stock, and we've always taken care to use all the blood and offal, but that's a lot of weight to pack out of the backcountry.
    Late last summer I came across a LARGE Black Bear standing flat footed staring @ me from 40 yards ahead on the trail. My wife & I were riding across the base of Debar Mtn in the Adirondacks.

In the following days I started noticing Bear scat (yes they do shat in the woods) on numerous trails near where we were camping.

Perhaps it was this guy that was pooping on the trails..

JK

Since I have never taken a Bear (I have taken over 30 deer from my farm in the 12 years I have lived here) & always wanted a rug, when the early bear season opened in the Adirondacks, I started using my MTB as an access vehicle to get back into some of the promising areas. I would lock my bike to a tree & strike out XC W/my trusty Silva compass & topo map.

I didn't encounter a bear while hunting, but I found lots of sign & areas where they had been feeding on Beech nuts & insects in a area full of rotting logs.

Here's another picture I took in camp.That's "Mountain Pond" in the background. there are several free DEC campsites there.

As far as getting the carcass out of the woods?

I figured in the remote possibility that I was successful, I would call home & get help. This area is only about 45 miles from my home. Mother nature takes care of the offal, she wastes nothing.

Back to the subject of this thread.

If you kill your own meat, you have a lot more control over the quality.
    Those that say "hardtails rule" never rode the miles I ride on the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    OP, don't worry so much about the Sally Fallon/ Weston Price aspect of the cookbook, Nourishing Traditions.

-Enjoy eating and preparing food.
    -Process food yourself, it is the most cost effective.
    -That means, buy fresh, whole grains, with their hulls and germ, and fresh, sproutable legumes. These are still technically alive, as they are viable seeds. Sprout them just before cooking them.
    -Buy a whole chicken rather than packaged breasts. It's a whole lot cheaper per pound, and there are many recipes for making stocks with the bones, skin, feet, etc. there's no waste, plus there is a f*ckton of nutrition.
    -Eat lot's of fresh, leafy greens.
    -Eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies in season, and can and preserve yourself for winter.
    -Make your own ferments, like sauerkraut and kim chi.
    -Cut out processed corn sugar.

I've worked most of the past 13 years on small, 4 - 40 acre farms, and feel pretty passionately about food and our food choices.
    I was a vegetarian (mostly) for many years, until I started working on a 30 milking cow dairy/fresh market vegetable farm in the Big Thompson river valley in the front range of Colorado.
    It was there that I learned how important large grazing mammals are to an ecosystem. 10 acres of high quality pasture mixed with trees, with cows and chickens grazing and pooping is so much more biodiverse, healthy, and productive than 10 acres of nothing but corn.
    It takes attentive management, and it means keeping the herd/ flock size at level that the land can sustain, and that means killing and eating.
    Attentive management is anathema to today's "Edible Protein Production Facility" and we're all the worse off for it.

We need illegal immigrants to work at the bottom of the food industry, picking strawberries (the absolute worst crop to pick) and slaughtering animals on an 'assembly' line.
    And we assure ourselves a steady supply of illegal immigrants from Mexico by passing the Farm Bill every 5 years. The bulk of the spending ($288 Billion) goes to price supporting corn and soy. The fallout is cheap cheap corn on the international market making it impossible for rural Mexican families to try and grow more, because margins are slim. They borrow money for fertilizer, equipment, diesel (just like farmers in the US), and get deep into debt, and after one or two bad years(weather, prices, personal disease/ debilitation) they 'lose the farm'.
    So they move to the cities, looking for work. The cities crowd up, so the young men (boys really) head north to pick fruit in California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, or work in Slaughter houses in Colorado, Nebraska, or Tennessee.
    Then the Senators and Representatives of the rural "conservative" districts that depend on cheap, disposable, labor get reelected by saying they're going to keep the country safe by spending (at a minimum) $49 Billion on a fence nobody thinks will actually work.

Whoa, sorry for the rant, I've had a few beers.

So, uh, buy from a farmer you meet at your local farmers market.
    Don't eat meat from a farm where they don't let you take pictures.
    Watch out, if you start to really care about food, you're going to end up having to cut rides short because it's getting dark and the chickens have to be closed up, and you should get to sleep early any way 'cause it's your turn to wake up early and milk the goats.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Watch out, if you start to really care about food, you're going to end up having to cut rides short because it's getting dark and the chickens have to be closed up.

Yesterday we took 22 "Cornish Giant" broilers out of the brood box & put them "on the floor". They are only a few weeks old, but already huge, so they seem to be doing fine on the floor.

Non too soon as the Agway called this morning & the "Buff Orfingtons" (sp?) layers came in so we got 11 of them settled into the brood box this evening.

It's been a few years since we raised chickens. The local Amish dress them fo $1 ea so that's what we do. They do a nice job packaging the gizards, hearts & livers for us.

The broilers we raised last time were so much better than store bought birds & our own farm fresh eggs are a great alternative too.

Back at it
    It was there that I learned how important large grazing mammals are to an ecosystem. 10 acres of high quality pasture mixed with trees, with cows and chickens grazing and pooping is so much more biodiverse, healthy, and productive than 10 acres of nothing but corn.
    I agree that pasture land is more eco-friendly than a corn field, but neither are as eco-friendly as the forest that was probably there to begin with.

Unfortunatly most of the meat in this country doesn't come from small, sustainable and eco-friendly farms like you worked on. It comes from HUGE industial feed lots that are horrible for the environment, or from destroying the Amazon for grazing land. If all meat could come from a place like you worked it would be utopia, but that unfortunately is simply not the case.
    Crave SL SS

Underskilled
    Wow a lot of veggie haters out there.

I am a long term veggie, and very healthy, but i cannot stress enough this is not easy to do properly.

The main issue you have is keeping up the protein if you exercise a lot.

There are too many people who just cut meat out their diets and do not replace it, get weak, get sick and give up. Others just keep eating a ton of low protein food to try and get enough and get fat.

I use to try really hard to get the protein naturally, but realized I was just restricting an already restricted diet.

1 protein fruit smoothie every day does wonders.
    I have about 60g of protein in each shake.

Also there is no reason to completely cut meat out of your diet. Quite a few of my friends eat veggie at home, but when eating out, just get what looks best.
    Make meat a treat, not a staple.

Food is very varied (as long as you supp with protein), and it can be a very healthy diet.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Back at it
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Make meat a treat, not a staple.

That sums up my diet, vegan meals at home with my wife and occasionally eat meat when we go out or at lunch
    Crave SL SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Animal fats do contain the highest concentration calories, but they're really bad for you.
    No, animal fats are not bad for you, in fact they are one of the healthiest things you can eat.

Watch the fat head movie, do some research. Carbs, vegetable oils, and a low fat diet are causing health problems. Fat was never a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I learned how important large grazing mammals are to an ecosystem. 10 acres of high quality pasture mixed with trees, with cows and chickens grazing and pooping is so much more biodiverse, healthy, and productive....
    I found that it is not only the poop but also getting the dead grazed down so the plants don't have anything to hold them back in the spring. I love the way the field look this time of year. Fresh and new....

We raise chickens for eggs. When we go out for breakfast now we are amazed at the eggs you get. Runny, yellow yoke instead of dark orange, etc. We tried raising chickens for meat but man that is a lot of work - end to end - incubation thru slaughter. Our chickens get to run around all day and are layer breeds. This makes them really TOUGH and only good for the crock-pot.

Red meat – we buy a ¼ every year from a local guy that raises the cows on grass only and no unnecessary shots. We go to the butcher shop and vacuum pack with the Seal a Meal as the he hands us each cut. This extends the storage time easily 4x over just wrapping and freezing.

I’m not down on veggies. What every works for you is fine with me. I eat meat because it smells good…

mtbr member
    I went vegetarian last December, more as a challenge to myself and to see if I could stop eating meat for a whole year, and I gotta admit, I dont really miss meat at all. When the year is up, I'll probably eat meat in moderation, but I have found that food is much more interesting and rewarding when you prepare it yourself and control as much of the process as possible. I'll probably never look back on fast food.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

I love the farmers market. It's the only place I buy meat from on the off chance I feel like having some( once a year or so). I also try to eat as little dairy as possible. I love vegetables so it's not hard for me to have a good tasty meal. I have a friend who is veg and hates most veggies. He's healthy though and eats a lot. I just think it's funny/ weird. Are there other people like that? Who don't eat meat and only like a very few amount of the vegetables out there? Or is he an isolated case?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vege's heal faster. The sickest I have ever been is when I got a spinal strep infection in a disc. In the spinal fluid it's called menningitis. Dr's told me it'd take 12 months to get back to normal. In 3 1/2 months I was on a MTB trip riding southern Utah. Vegetarians DO heal faster, but some sprains just take fovrever.
    Try spirulina before your next ride, you'll feel stronger, longer.
    agmtb

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    Vege's heal faster.
    Blanket assumption based on anecdotal evidence.....

Quote Originally Posted by gghurst
    No, animal fats are not bad for you, in fact they are one of the healthiest things you can eat.

Watch the fat head movie, do some research. Carbs, vegetable oils, and a low fat diet are causing health problems. Fat was never a problem.

Best of luck with that. Let's get together in 30 years and see who's opinion has changed. I've done plenty of research. The overwhelming majority of what's out there says that you are believing lies if you believe what you posted there. The vast majority also thought the earth was flat at one point, but I'm gonna go with my gut and keep minimizing my consumption of animal fats.
    Last edited by sean salach; 05-11-2011 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not a vegetarian, but I believe people should eat whatever food they have grown up with (unless it's really "junk food"). It's what your body has been accustomed to during your formative years, and drastically changing it can't have a positive effect on you.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Best of luck with that. Let's get together in 30 years and see who's opinion has changed. I've done plenty of research. The overwhelming majority of what's out there says that you are believing lies if you believe what you posted there. The vast majority also thought the earth was flat at one point, but I'm gonna go with my gut and keep minimizing my consumption of animal fats.
    I had missed that one, it certainly was an obtuse statement.

mtbr member
    I gave up red meat about 3 or 4 years ago. I recently did a 4-day fast and dropped poultry too. I will occasionally eat fish but for the most part I eat vegetarian. The last few years my annual wellness test has been off the charts, they usually freak out since my numbers are perfect across the board. Overall, I just prefer to not eat meat. I wouldn’t call it humanitarian as it is I just can’t stomach it (sort of listening to your body what it likes and doesn’t). To each his own if it’s not your thing.

The Vegan approach is pretty strict (seems like you’d really have to be cautious). I find Veggie to be fairly easy. But back to the OP question, give up red meat first, then phase out other things. I really think if you try and give up too much from the beginning it isn’t healthy. But again, it’s staying in tune with your body.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast