Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    nocturnal oblivion

Any vegetarian riders out there?

I've always enjoyed bacon and steak as much as the next guy, but I've read a few books now that really make me question the trust we give to the meat industries. So I'm considering dropping meat altogether.
    The question is, how do you do it? How can you get enough calories after a long ride? How do you not get bored of rice and beans?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

is buachail foighneach me
    Calories?? Meat has relatively few calories compared to carb/fat rich foods. Animal fats do contain the highest concentration calories, but they're really bad for you. If health is the main goal, I would recommend cutting out dairy before cutting out meat.

If you're worried about supporting shady industries, you would probably need to go live in a cave to truly get away from all of them.

Ethics? Dairy is just as bad as meat in that department. Actually worse. What's less ethical, letting an animal roam around all day and do as it pleases, then killing it quickly and efficiently(most of the time), or mechanically raping it throughout it's life?

Before anyone get's their panties in a wad, I eat both meat and cheese, but in limited quantities. I couldn't care less about the ethics, only the health risks/benefits.

However, I used to be vegan, and was at one time a raw foodist. I had no problems with energy, and completed my first century when I was on an entirely raw foods diet. Veggie isn't just rice and beans. You've got all sorts of possibilities for variety with fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and grains.

mtbr member
    Rice and bean burritos after a ride. Stuff with tofu, etc. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I get 20 miles to the burrito! Been a vege since 1973 and never get tired of beans. Do you get tired of steak? Not a big rice eater, high mucous food. If you get tired of the beans there's always pizza, Mexican food, Chinese, Italian, Indian... I do eat lots of fresh fruit and more nuts in winter.
    Try reading Arnold Ehret "Rational Fasting" or Mucusless Diet Healing System".
    agmtb

AZ
    banned
    Quinoa, it is a complete protein.

mtbr member
    Life without meat is no life at all.
    :wq

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    The question is, how do you do it? How can you get enough calories after a long ride? How do you not get bored of rice and beans?
    Avocado sandos, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, fruits are all high in calories. There's a wide world of foods beyond animal products. It is not boring at all opening up a sense of taste to many times more flavors.

Over 15 years ago I went vegi to reduce a high cholesterol blood count. And to avoid being drug dependent to lower cholesterol. And to better my effort to live lighter on this little planet.

To my surprise my endurance for long rides and concentration at software development work increased a lot. And increasing yearly allergy symptoms disappeared over 2 years from weeks and months of suffering to an occasional sneeze or cough attack from dust or pollen, to last a few seconds or minutes at most. Also colds and flues reduced too, to about once or twice every 2 years.

slap happy
    vegetarians lol.
    humans are at the top of the food chain for a reason, and it isn't so we can eat bean curd and raw vegetables.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

nocturnal oblivion
    The toughest thing I imagine will be milk and yogurt, sort of staples of my diet.

Bro Mountainbiker
    im either vegetarian or vegan. Usually what ever is trendier at the moment.

All joking aside, meat is good for you. Especially if you are an athlete like us.

Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I gained almost 12 pounds in a month eating vegetarian.. Ive talked to a small group of people who had similar results.

Its a lot of work to prepare balanced and healthy meals.. its even more work to do it without any healthy lean meats, and your body wont necessarily like it.

Theres nothing wrong with meat. Theres nothing really wrong with not eating eat either, but dont buy into a few authors propaganda. We're biologically fine eating meat, and a few scare stores dont speak for the whole industry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For best overall health, physical and ethical, do as much eating as you can from your local farmers. You should be able to find eggs, meat, milk and yogurt without much problem. I highly recommend raw (unpasteurized) milk and milk products. Unless you are nursing an infant.

This is a great cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tra.../dp/0967089735
    This http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ is a great place to connect with farmers.

No doubt eating heavily hormone and antibiotic dosed, only corn fed, penned up animals is pretty horrific for your body, but it is also horrific for the animals involved, for the farm/ slaughter house workers, traditional farming communities, and the environment overall.

But eating flesh, dairy, and eggs from animals that have been raised by people that care is probably the best thing you can do for your body and community.
    Last edited by Hellav8ted; 04-30-2011 at 05:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    As a vegetarian their is so much more you can eat than just rice and beans. The list goes on and on: fruits, nuts , whole grains , huge variety of veggies, etc.

My own experience with being a vegetarian has been quite positive. I have been that way for 17 years. I sleep better, I have more energy, I am calmer, I can concentrate for longer periods of time without fatigue. The energy level I get from my current diet also seems to be much more stable and consistent than what I use to experience in my pre-veggie days.

If you only eat 3 meals a day currently you may find you would benefit from 5 smaller meals a day instead when you make the switch.
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Quinoa, it is a complete protein.
    +1
    quinoa is a seed and seeds are the only vegan source of complete protein, quinoa is basically the perfect balance of fat carbs and protein .. Add raw honey after its done cooking and it is gooood eating..
    Seeds are great not only for protein but for essential fatty acids:
    I like flax and chia seeds in the morning = omega 3s for energy
    and hemp seeds after rides and/or at night = omega 6s for protein synthesis

I do not eat Gluten , I decided to try gluten free after I heard pro cycling teams were doing it and I would absolutely never go back ... Anyone who hasn't tried , go two weeks gluten free and judge for yourself .

Blackstrap mollasses is a good vegan source of iron and calcium

Afric Pepperbird
    Is a vegetarian with the runs really called a salad shooter??

nocturnal oblivion
    What are your on the go tasty snacks/meals? Nuts are the obvious that come to mind, hummus and veggies is good too. I'm going to need ideas.
    And I agree with you Hellav8ted, you hit my primary concerns. My cholesterol is actually really good and I'm nowhere near overweight; my concern is the unregulated industry. I also just want to try it and see. If I spend less money, eat more veggies, and feel better it'd be worth it.

is buachail foighneach me
    trail snacks: 90% of commercially available granola bars, trail mix, dried fruit(I like dried mangoes), nuts, seeds, cookies, crackers. Macadamia nuts and craisins with some brown sugar and sea salt added is a very tasty, healthy trailside snack. Mini potatoes are also good. Cooked if you're gonna eat them warm/hot, raw if you're gonna eat them cold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    my concern is the unregulated industry. I also just want to try it and see. If I spend less money, eat more veggies, and feel better it'd be worth it.
    Definitely pick up Nourishing Traditions and learn how to source and prepare food.

Can't recommend it enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've always heard that "vegetarian" was an old indian word that means bad hunter.

DynoDon
    the Meatrix, check this info out.. at the end you can put in your area code and find Farm Fresh Foods in your area.
    I think local veggies are the best choice, the animals eat them, then we eat the animal, why get them second hand ??

http://www.themeatrix.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is some interesting reading about the global food industry, and it's impacts on people's lives.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/the_food_issue

This is a gallery of what a 'typical' family around the world eat.

http://fud.smugmug.com/gallery/46652...75574459_Xs57b

Back at it
    My wife has been vegan for over a year now, I eat very little meat. Never felt better.
    Research | Build | Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've always enjoyed bacon and steak as much as the next guy, but I've read a few books now that really make me question the trust we give to the meat industries. So I'm considering dropping meat altogether.
    I highly recommend anyone thinking about dropping meat and fat to read these books first:

http://www.amazon.com/Trick-Treat-he...4257687&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Health...4257687&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...4257748&sr=1-1

I agree the meat industry as a whole is no good. Profit driven to the extreme. Watch "Food, Inc." if you haven't seen it. Most of our meats are of poor quality and full of additives and chemicals. I eat only grassfed/grassfinished beef and it's unlike anything you might find at any grocery store. Most likely you'll be able to find a farmer near you where you can buy this. I eat a near zero carb diet and feel fabulous and full of energy...as soon as I eat some carbs I get all bloated, heart races, cold sweats etc.

Don't quit meat, just find a quality source.

Matt

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Avocado sandos, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, fruits are all high in calories. There's a wide world of foods beyond animal products. It is not boring at all opening up a sense of taste to many times more flavors.

Over 15 years ago I went vegi to reduce a high cholesterol blood count. And to avoid being drug dependent to lower cholesterol. And to better my effort to live lighter on this little planet.

To my surprise my endurance for long rides and concentration at software development work increased a lot. And increasing yearly allergy symptoms disappeared over 2 years from weeks and months of suffering to an occasional sneeze or cough attack from dust or pollen, to last a few seconds or minutes at most. Also colds and flues reduced too, to about once or twice every 2 years.
    Derby, all my hay fever allergies disappeared after becoming a vegetarian as well, & like you, I almost never get sick anymore either.
    I think meat requires a ton of energy to digest, I used to just about fall asleep after a hefty meat meal.

mtbr member
    as a trail snack, I really like PBJ sandwich. Especially with good bread.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast