Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    It's working!
    Last night I was able to wear a pair of pants that I couldn't even get around my waist at Christmas. It was my oldest boys grad and I wanted to wear a certain pair of pants and thought...maybe?
    Very happy. No weight loss this week but that's ok. I know not to get hung up on numbers. Although 34" beats 36" all day ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    congrats!!!
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Awesome. If you're waist is smaller yet the scale doesn't see it, that probably means you gained muscle while loosing fat.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Great post Dave and i welcome more input from you.
    Do you know much about Dr McDougall's work on studying Native Japanese, and Japanese that went to Hawaii? Looks interesting, and echos some of your points.

How about T Cambell's (if I'm remembering) research?, on how 5% animal proteins was a turn off cancer trigger, while 20% was turn on. Where interestingly enough the 20% subjects did get more cancer yet they still generally outlived the 5% subject that did not.

Aflatoxin?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Explain Keith Richards? Just kidding. Burn more than you eat and have fun doing it. For the family guys, include the spouse. It'll make things easier and lead to better success.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Great post Dave and i welcome more input from you.
    Do you know much about Dr McDougall's work on studying Native Japanese, and Japanese that went to Hawaii? Looks interesting, and echos some of your points.

How about T Cambell's (if I'm remembering) research?, on how 5% animal proteins was a turn off cancer trigger, while 20% was turn on. Where interestingly enough the 20% subjects did get more cancer yet they still generally outlived the 5% subject that did not.

Aflatoxin?
    just curious, how does mcdougall's work mirror dave's points? mcdougall completely attributes diet to disease prevention and longevity while also suggesting genetics have little if any part to play in it since disease followed diet in the study you mentioned. granted, another poster in the thread made these points but it wasn't dave, who in fact offered COUNTERING points of view to consider.

the reason i ask is that both mcdougall and cambell suggest that any animal-based material in the diet is too much. both attribute diet as being the key component to disease prevention and longevity, almost completely discounting genetics and other factors. dave, on the other hand, stated, "So diet alone cannot explain cancer rates, and neither can ethnicity/genetics. You simply cannot pull one out separately (diet) from the rest and declare it the key."

contrary to mcdougall's work dave gave an example of a culture where high amounts of animal products are consumed yet they enjoy a phenomenally low cancer rate. as previously mentioned something that is surprising considering not only the high animal content in the diet but the high instances of alcoholism and smoking within that culture subset as well. the down side, of course, is that they have a much lower life expectancy.

so i'm genuinely curious what aspects of of mcdougall's work echos dave's points.

also, i believe you have it completely backward about campbell's study. as i recall, all of the "5% mice" outlived the others.

and just so there's no confusion, let me be clear that i'm genuinely attempting to have a civil discussion with you. so please don't infer anything else.

btw, if you haven't read mcdougall's books "the mcdougall program for maximum weight loss" and "the mcdougall program: 12 days to dynamic health" i would highly recommend them.
    Last edited by monogod; 06-27-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    Explain Keith Richards?
    that guy has everyone scratching their heads! at only 70 he doesn't look a day over "dead for 20 years".

burrough's life was another one. the keith richards of his era.

this was a great interview from '77:

Last edited by monogod; 06-27-2014 at 11:15 AM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

It's working!
    Welk after a weekend of drinking and eating catered wedding food I am happy to report I did not put on a single pound :-)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

It's working!
    Well after 5days without a ride and eating everything that is "off limits" I had my strongest ride yet. I powered up three large hills that I have walked my bike up before because I just couldn't do it. I was out with a friend and he was commenting on what I must have taken pre ride. So I think a bit of rest really let my muscles recover so I am going to reduce frequency and increase intensity and duration. Back to good food today.

mtbr member
    Rest is as important as the workout, maybe more so. If you don't give your body time to recuperate, you'll never grow stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Well after 5days without a ride and eating everything that is "off limits" I had my strongest ride yet. I powered up three large hills that I have walked my bike up before because I just couldn't do it. I was out with a friend and he was commenting on what I must have taken pre ride. So I think a bit of rest really let my muscles recover so I am going to reduce frequency and increase intensity and duration. Back to good food today.
    I have had this happen to me too...where I took a break from riding, ate more than I should have of foods I know I shouldn't be eating (fast food, etc), then went on a ride and absolutely crushed it, had more energy than I ever expected.

I chalked it up to the fact that I was taking a break so my muscles could fully recover (and during recovery is where you get stronger) and I was eating plenty of calories (and fat & sodium, etc) so likely my energy reserves were topped off. Hard to call eating like that a training program though...hahah

Clueless Bastard
    The power of active recovery, learn you must.

It's working!
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    The power of active recovery, learn you must.
    Definately!
    Rode for 90 min, all out again last night. went 31km of mixed single track and gravel(hard packed) community trail. Absolutely killed it. I am amazed at how much stronger I am. I am loving my results thus far. Tonight is about rest and sleep and tomorrow night I plan to hit it again. Thanks for all the info guys. Results prove your right!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4