Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404

    2013 Osprey Raptor 10 Initial Impressions

    I ordered from Backcountry and it arrived last Friday.

    I haven't gotten out to use it yet as the winds have been really bad here in Hawaii and the rain has been bad also.

    So far I love it. I wanted to get the old version but I didn't see too much reason to switch from my Mule. Well I saw the new model and knew it was time. I debated on color and scoured the interwebz for pictures of the colors. I saw more red than anything but I wanted to see the green. I saw some many differences in that color from "I Love it!" to "Ehh." Well I decided to go with black as I have a red shirt that I wear when riding.


    The black is not a super deep black like my Mule, but it is black just in certain light it looks like a really dark gray. The material is definitely lighter than the Mule also.



    Sorry for the focus my 3 yr old tried to tackle me. The back panel is much nicer than the Mule, but I have no complaints on the Mule it has served me well. I love how much ventilation there is on the straps even by the tube is mesh.




    The tool roll is the main feature that sold me. While I had a small bag that I kept the tools in to keep them organized in the Mule this is much better. It removes very easily by two T buttons and loops.



    The main compartment is very well laid out. I love the mesh pocket and the two deep side pockets. I have a spare tube, leatherman and knife in the mesh pocket and my Lezyne Pressure drive pump in the side pocket. It fits my first aid kit and Endura Photon jacket with plenty of room to spare.




    The accessory pocket has an inner pocket they say is for keys and such. The outer pocket is supposed to be anti scratch for sunglasses.



    The zipper pockets are another feature that sold me.


    While standing upright the bad feels good but while on the bike is where it shines! The strap management is a different approach than Camelbak. While not worse it isn't as clean looking but allows more adjustment on the fly than Camelbak IMHO. The bladder is similar to the older model but is made by Osprey not Nalgene and the magnet is stronger for the bite valve also.

    I highly recommend this bag to anyone and everyone!!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    103
    Great write-up my friend. Mine is in the mail, can't wait.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    What color did you get? Be sure to post pictures!

    I know it's new but I hope to see more people with them.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14
    I almost ordered the new viper 9 but now I may want the raptor 10... Decisions decisions

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    311

    2013 Osprey Raptor 10 Initial Impressions

    Nice pack!
    Can you tell me if you can only run the hose on the right side (when pack is on)? From the pic it looks like it has a zipper on the one side.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14
    Another question how is the semi rigi back panel? I've got a Mule which is soft..but bulges with the full bladder, making it not mesh well against my back. Does this pack sit well when full of water? Is it semi flexible or more like a frame is in it? I'm assuming its still comfortable?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeriderguy View Post
    Nice pack!
    Can you tell me if you can only run the hose on the right side (when pack is on)? From the pic it looks like it has a zipper on the one side.
    Yes just the right side.

    Quote Originally Posted by slipitysmooth View Post
    Another question how is the semi rigi back panel? I've got a Mule which is soft..but bulges with the full bladder, making it not mesh well against my back. Does this pack sit well when full of water? Is it semi flexible or more like a frame is in it? I'm assuming its still comfortable?
    Yes much better than the Mule. The bladder had a molded plate that is the same as the back panel.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    What color did you get? Be sure to post pictures!

    I know it's new but I hope to see more people with them.
    I got the black also. When it gets in I'll load it up with gear and take some pics of the equipment inside for scale.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    379

    Re: 2013 Osprey Raptor 10 Initial Impressions

    [QUOTE=worrptangl;10186482]Yes just the right side.



    Thanks for the write up. I had the same question about the hose. I've had a Mule for years and run the hose on the left side so I can grab it with, my left hand. That feels more comfortable than the right side. I don't know why it doesn't feel right taking my right hand off the bars. Seems like a silly reason not to get an Osprey pack, but its the only thing holding me back.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    103
    [QUOTE=moldau94;10187426]
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    Yes just the right side.



    Thanks for the write up. I had the same question about the hose. I've had a Mule for years and run the hose on the left side so I can grab it with, my left hand. That feels more comfortable than the right side. I don't know why it doesn't feel right taking my right hand off the bars. Seems like a silly reason not to get an Osprey pack, but its the only thing holding me back.
    I am pretty sure you will still be able to grab the hose with either hand. Osprey packs have a magnet that attaches the mouthpiece to the sternum strap.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    The magnet is on the left side of the sternum strap so it attaches on the left side routed on the right.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    379
    Do you find yourself using the magnet? Not sure that I would really take the time to put the mouthpiece on the magnet and instead just let it hang loose like I do on my Mule.

    Also, is the hose detachable from the bladder? That's the one thing I really like about the Camelback Antidote bladder. After a ride a simply disconnect the hose and remove the bladder. The old CB bladder had me thread the hose through the top of the back and through the shoulder straps, so it's helpful to just leave the hose attached to the bag all the time.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    I haven't got to actually use it but I have rode around a little with it. I liked it using the magnet. No the hose doesn't have a quick disconnect.

    http://twentynineinches.com/wp-conte...81-351x500.jpg

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14
    well after much deliberation...i pulled the trigger on a black raptor 10! Thinking the tool pack and the side zip pockets were what made the decision for me. Looks like I got the last black one from backcountry.com as of now anyways! stoked!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    Congrats! Did you get free shipping?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14
    sure did to my APO address, and tossed in a frame pump and some spare tubes to help fill it up

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    185
    They did a great job with the update on this pack, I really need it to replace my old Raptor 6! I wish I hadn't just bought a Zealot 10 2 months ago, ahh.

  18. #18
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    833
    How is the back padding? Is there any or is it still that hardish mesh?

    I bought one a few years ago but the back of the pack did not like my back and rubbed a raw spot so I sold it and went back to the camelbak due to their softer back padding.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    How is the back padding? Is there any or is it still that hardish mesh?

    I bought one a few years ago but the back of the pack did not like my back and rubbed a raw spot so I sold it and went back to the camelbak due to their softer back padding.
    The mesh is still there but it's not stiff. The padding is minimal but I can't compare it to the previous model because I never had it. Comparing it to the Mule I take the Osprey. I walking around Waikiki all day yesterday and never had a problem and barely had any sweat marks where the bag or straps were.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    Do you find yourself using the magnet? Not sure that I would really take the time to put the mouthpiece on the magnet and instead just let it hang loose like I do on my Mule.

    Also, is the hose detachable from the bladder? That's the one thing I really like about the Camelback Antidote bladder. After a ride a simply disconnect the hose and remove the bladder. The old CB bladder had me thread the hose through the top of the back and through the shoulder straps, so it's helpful to just leave the hose attached to the bag all the time.

    The new Raptors, Ravens, Vipers, and Verves all feature Osprey's new Direct Access Zip. This means that there is no threading the hose through slots or shoulder straps. The zipper runs down the shoulder strap so a quick zip and the reservoir slides in or out. It is super quick and convenient but doesn't open it up to the leak possibilities that come with some of the quick disconnect systems.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    379

    Re: 2013 Osprey Raptor 10 Initial Impressions

    Hey, thanks a lot for the reply. Good to know about the new zip system. I have to admit that while I like the quick disconnect on the CB antidote, i did have to feturn one because of leaks.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    Part of me wished I had got the 14 instead of the 10 but I don't know if I'd ever need that much room.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,261
    The 2013 raptor 14 is looking like a great mid-large size pack. Has anyone seen the 'screamin green' color in person yet?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: husonfirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    78
    I just got the previous generation Raptor 14. Osprey makes good stuff! I believe the new Raptors are one-size-fits-all. The prior version came in S/M and M/L.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    404
    That is true^^^^

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •