Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreypacks View Post
    You could check with the shop where you got it. Any exchanges, etc. would have to take place through the original shop. The new model may cost a bit more but way worth it in my opinion.
    ospreypacks, I have the 2012 versions (70 & 100), and while they are superior in almost every way to CB products, I really wanted the quick disconnect feature of the newer CB, and the Volt in particular. I can pop the bladder out and throw it into the fridge without drama. Also love the low center of gravity that design affords. Any possibility of picking up those features in a new design?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    ospreypacks, I have the 2012 versions (70 & 100), and while they are superior in almost every way to CB products, I really wanted the quick disconnect feature of the newer CB, and the Volt in particular. I can pop the bladder out and throw it into the fridge without drama. Also love the low center of gravity that design affords. Any possibility of picking up those features in a new design?
    thanks for the feedback. We purposely avoided the quick disconnect on these because our research showed too high of a failure rate for leakage. Instead we redid how the reservoir delivery system so that it routes through a new QuickZip system. There are no loops or slots to route the hose through. It simply zips right in and out which takes less than a second to remove or install.

There is a possibility of a disconnect coming on some future reservoirs as we dial in on one that meets our standards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreypacks View Post
    thanks for the feedback. We purposely avoided the quick disconnect on these because our research showed too high of a failure rate for leakage. Instead we redid how the reservoir delivery system so that it routes through a new QuickZip system. There are no loops or slots to route the hose through. It simply zips right in and out which takes less than a second to remove or install.

There is a possibility of a disconnect coming on some future reservoirs as we dial in on one that meets our standards.
    Completely understand...keep up the good work.

What are your feelings about the low c/g bladder? I think in theory it's a good idea, however I'm not sure I noticed much difference, especially after it was 1/2 way down.

Also, the waist band zippered pockets of the Volt were nice (until a zipper failure) for quick retrieval of the phone. It makes me a bit nervous to keep the phone in the elasticized waist band pocket of the Raptor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Completely understand...keep up the good work.

What are your feelings about the low c/g bladder? I think in theory it's a good idea, however I'm not sure I noticed much difference, especially after it was 1/2 way down.

Also, the waist band zippered pockets of the Volt were nice (until a zipper failure) for quick retrieval of the phone. It makes me a bit nervous to keep the phone in the elasticized waist band pocket of the Raptor.
    Some people really like the lumbar reservoir. Our design theory is that the heavy weight should be centered in nice tight column along the center of your back. This is one of the big advantages of having a structured backplate in the reservoir. As the water weight moves toward the outside edges of the pack it will have more tendency to want to move the pack around as you are involved in dynamic movement. The bigger issue for me personally is that the lumbar reservoirs are fairly awkward to work with for removal, filling and especially stuffing back into the pack.

The 2013 versions of all Raptors and Ravens have zippers on the hipbelt pockets. We also put a small baffle in the pocket to give them a little more stretch for larger items. Both of these upgrades were a direct result of our designers really listening to consumer feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just want to say that I love mine!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    I just want to say that I love mine!
    +1! I can't believe how easy it is to fill the bladder. Just unzip the zipper to pull the whole bladder out, then you can hold onto the built-in plastic handle while you fill it. It's like holding a giant mug. The structured backplate keeps the whole thing rigid when empty or full.

mtbr member
    Just took a look at the new Raptors. I picked up a 14 because REI didn't carry the 10 in store. Honestly there were a couple of disappointments:

1) The side opening compartment access in the 14 was just weird. You would have to do a little spelunking to get to some tools/stuff, and I was perplexed by that design element. Is that layout used in the Raptor 10?

2) The back panel was similar to my 2012 model and not the hoped for "trampoline" back as used in the Syncro. That back pad just doesn't get the air flow of the Syncro or the CM Hawg NV and Mule NV line. Is there a reason that the trampoline back wasn't incorporated in Raptor?

BTW, I do like the bladder configuration now, as you said it's much easier to load/un-load. Also, the belt pouches work well also.

Overall, a well executed product.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 05-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just took a look at the new Raptors. I picked up a 14 because REI didn't carry the 10 in store. Honestly there were a couple of disappointments:

1) The side opening compartment access in the 14 was just weird. You would have to do a little spelunking to get to some tools/stuff, and I was perplexed by that design element. Is that layout used in the Raptor 10?

2) The back panel was similar to my 2012 model and not the hoped for "trampoline" back as used in the Syncro. That back pad just doesn't get the air flow of the Syncro or the CM Hawg NV and Mule NV line. Is there a reason that the trampoline back wasn't incorporated in Raptor?

BTW, I do like the bladder configuration now, as you said it's much easier to load/un-load. Also, the belt pouches work well also.

Overall, a well executed product.
    Thanks for the comments and feedback. In reply to your comments/questions:

1.)There is no side opening compartment on the Raptor 10. That compartment on the Raptor 14 is additional and provides most of the extra volume over the 10. The side opening has actually been something that most people have really liked because it allows you to access the compartment without digging through everything from the top. I guess that really comes down to a matter of preference and some will like it and some won't.

2.) The AirSpeed backpanel is specific to the Syncro and Manta/Mira series. That is one of the things that differentiates the packs. The packs carry different and again some people like the AirSpeed (Syncro) and some people like the AirScape (Raptor). The Syncro is a lot stiffer due to the frame in the back but does give the separation between back and pack. The Raptor is a softer more compliant backpanel that still breathes pretty well, but not as well as Syncro. We appreciate your position and maybe will be able to move some of the Raptor features to a Syncro style backpanel in the future. Each generation of packs gets better based on all of the feedback we get from people using them.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2013 Raptor 14 in screamin green and am digging it so far. I'm riding with it tonight so we will see how it works out. I love the amount of storage in it though so far and the fact I can pull the bladder out in seconds and it has a fill handle.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

Dudette
    I just got the women's version, the Raven 14, in the mail. One of the things that "sold" me on this pack was the tool pouch at the bottom. I can't wait to organize all of my tools and have the finally accessible in one place. Another feature I like is the magnetic attachment for the hose. I have not filled the pack yet, so I cannot comment on how it feels, although just placing it on my back and cinching up the straps had me smiling because the pack is shorter than my Dakine Nomad.

One comment/question I have is in regards to the shoulder and waist strap adjustment. I'm not sure if I may be missing something, or doing something wrong, but are you supposed to have large lengths of loops that stick out when you cinch them up? I appreciate having the smaller loops you can grab onto for adjustment purposes, but I didn't notice any elastic bands or anything to conveniently stow away the extra straps that hang out. I am a little concerned about it catching on a handlebar or something. I'm only 5'4" and I had to really cinch the straps down to fit snugly. I could just get some velcro straps to secure the extra length, so it's not a big deal to me, I just wondered if I missed something.

I cannot wait to try this out - not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but it appears to be very well-made with a lot of thought on organization.

Dudette
    Okay, I had the opportunity to use this pack for the first time this weekend. First, I love all of the organizational pockets - especially the tool pouch. I love how the pockets on the waist belt are easily accessed without having to really reach around. As far as a lot of extra on the straps - there is quite a bit, but once you have the pack full, it's not obnoxious and they don't appear to be intrusive. I still would like to see a way to tuck them away a bit, but I don't think they are going to interfere with anything.

I already love the new hydration bladder and personally, don't care that I can't remove the hose. I never do on my Camelbak, either. I like how it has the handle and it's easy to fill. So far I like how easy the bite valve is to operate and the magnet holding the mouth piece is quite handy.

So far I am very pleased with the pack.

mtbr member

My search is over

I looked at many different packs in the 10 to 16 L range, including models from Dakine, Fox and Camelbak. The main criterion for my new pack was the ability for it to solidly hold a full face (ff) helmet and a wind-breaker. Iím happy that I was particular of what I wanted and waited until I found one. The Raptor 14 was absolutely worth the wait and search.

The Raptor 14 holds a ff helmet great using the shove-it pocket and upper compression straps. See the included photos to see how the ff is attached to the pack. The pack will still hold the ff helmet well with two long-sleeve shirts stuffed in the shove-it pocket. Also, the attach and detach is simple and easy to cinch down.

2013 Osprey Raptor 10 Initial Impressions-img_8769.jpg2013 Osprey Raptor 10 Initial Impressions-img_8768.jpg

Another great feature that Osprey offers is the magnetic hose holder on the sternum strap. The magnetic holder is great for quick detach and reattachment for a quick sip between sections that require all hands on deck. The newer Osprey bladders (blue) do not add any plastic taste to the water, even after the water sits all day. I did find a plastic taste with their competitors. The valve flows well and has an integrated lock feature. All of the pockets and dividers on the larger pockets make this pack very easy to organize. Tool pouch is awesome, and correctly placed at the bottom of the pack. The zippered hipbelt pockets are ideal to storing the car keys. This easy access is nice when you or your friend need to get back in the car for one last thing. I can go on and on about how great this pack isÖ
    One thing I found in my search for a pack is how to route the hose with this bladder. You can tuck the hose in the handle and then wrap it to the left (Iím referring to the left side of the pack as you wear it) and around the fill cap, then out the right shoulder strap. This hose route seems to work the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just got around to posting my thoughts on the Raptor 14 after using it for the last seven months. The review speaks for itself, but one additional note is that I would now strongly consider checking out a Zealot 16 instead of the Raptor.

James' MTB Blog: Gear Review: 2013 Osprey Raptor 14

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I may be in the minority here, but I much prefer the 2012 model. Mine was stolen out of my vehicle a few months ago so I picked up the new version. It seems to me that the tool pouch placement interferes with the bladder, causing the bladder to rock back and forth towards the top of the pack. I never had this issue with the old model, and I wish they would not have updated it. The 2012 version was definitely the best hydration pack I've ever used.

mtbr member
    YYYEEHHHHHAAAAAA!!
    Wife just bought me a Raptor 10 RED!! Love that chick! She doesn't ride but supports my ridding habbit!!
    I guess she got a Amazon credit and ask if I needed anything..DUUHH hell yeah I do!!
    I hope it arrives by Friday!!!

My first backpack so I'm a little excited about it!! LOVE MTB GEAR!!!!!!!!!!

RIDE!
    (random google pic for me to stare at) LOL

Name:  P1050682-382x500.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  65.1 KB
    Last edited by Burt4x4; 03-19-2014 at 05:09 PM.
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    I busted the bottom strap clasp somehow at -25 this winter. Sent them an e-mail with a picture and only 2 days later received a replacement strap with an apology for any inconvenience the product may have caused. Awesome

I've owned only one other hydration pack and it was a camelbak. I must say that this Raptor is miles better than it. It's well thought out purpose driven design is a win in my books. My only issue was having all my tools bundled in the bottom of the pack making it bulge in the bottom however I have come to appreciate the lower center of gravity it creates.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Awesome Chuck! yeah the purpose driven you speak of is very attractive for me..I love function over flare handsdown!!
    Thanks for you time and RideOn!
    Burt
    PS ~ no brown Santa at my door yet :-(
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    I have a Raptor14 for about a year now and its been problem free. I removed the cap from its leash to make filling easier but thats it. I carry a bit more than I probly need to cause I ride alone alot but the pack has held up great.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Cool cool, yeah I almost got the 14....got skeerd and didn't want "too much" pack on me while trying to "sky balance" when I leave the ground..I'm sure I'll get use to it.

AHHHH Freakin NO BROWN SANTA yet...common deliver it allready!! I am heading North in two hours...may have to wait to use it..FARTS!!
    Burt
    RIDE!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    YYYYEEEHHHAAAAaaaaa!!
    The Osprey Raptor 10 has arrived
    Shoved all my junk in there..took frame pump off my bike and all the stuff in my seatbag..still tons of room for ride supplys!!
    IMPRESSIVE Quality for sure !! A+ All the Zippers are smooth..pockets pockets nice!!
    Thanks Osprey
    Love the warrenty too!!
    RIDE
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3