Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    seems like a popular pack, backcountry is out of stock on everything but the green, glad I got my order in..hoping it will be in the mail when I go to check today!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I still kind of wish I got the green.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Undetermined on the green, seems like I'd need to see it in person to make a sure call on it. But it would definitely be different!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ospreypacks confirmed that the green is accurate in this picture.

Snapfish: Share:Registration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreypacks View Post
    The new Raptors, Ravens, Vipers, and Verves all feature Osprey's new Direct Access Zip. This means that there is no threading the hose through slots or shoulder straps. The zipper runs down the shoulder strap so a quick zip and the reservoir slides in or out. It is super quick and convenient but doesn't open it up to the leak possibilities that come with some of the quick disconnect systems.
    That's very nifty. The 2012 version doesn't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    Part of me wished I had got the 14 instead of the 10 but I don't know if I'd ever need that much room.
    You could always cinch down the sides of the 14 if it's not full.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I know but seriously the 10 is enough room.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Got my pack in the mail today! Super stoked, it looks awesome. Now just gotta fill it up and head out for a ride, planning the next time I can ride already. Hopefully I can get some trail time in this week since its supposed to hit 60 this week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    I just got the previous generation Raptor 14. Osprey makes good stuff! I believe the new Raptors are one-size-fits-all. The prior version came in S/M and M/L.
    Any info on how the fit/size of the 2013's compares to the old ones? The other 2013 raptor changes look awesome, but I worry that a one-size pack won't fit as well as my old one.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Have any of you verified the 3.0L bladder? My Osprey 3.0L bladder only holds a little more than 2L. That includes the tube being filled as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not yet. I will try later tonight or tomorrow for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The new Raptor pack is the equivalent torso sizing of the previous M/L version of a Raptor. The Raven is equivalent torso sizing of the previous S/M version of a Raven. The Raven is also cut for a narrower shoulder and smaller hipbelt. There is no reason that a guy couldn't wear a Raven pack especially since a green color is offered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS73 View Post
    Have any of you verified the 3.0L bladder? My Osprey 3.0L bladder only holds a little more than 2L. That includes the tube being filled as well.
    The new reservoirs hold more than the listed volume in both the 3.0L and 2.0L volume. This is one of the things that we made sure to improve with the new design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreypacks View Post
    The new Raptor pack is the equivalent torso sizing of the previous M/L version of a Raptor. The Raven is equivalent torso sizing of the previous S/M version of a Raven.
    That's great, thanks for responding.

mtbr member
    Great write-up. Do these come with a rain fly?
    Where's the gas pedal on this thing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskagriz View Post
    Great write-up. Do these come with a rain fly?
    A rain cover is not included but available as an option for those that will be riding in wet environments.

Hi-Vis Raincover (XS) - Osprey Packs, Inc :2013: Official Site

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just order one of these packs from REI, can't wait to get it. They have a 20% member coupon right now so it was $97 or so with free shipping.

I was very close to buying one of the 2012 versions for around $60 but all of the new features were things that I really wanted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    photos of the screamin' green would be nice....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    photos of the screamin' green would be nice....
    Here you go:

2013 Osprey Raptor 10 Initial Impressions-raptor-10-screamin-green.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Now that is a nice green. Too bad my bike is red. I'd look like Christmas. Which I guess isn't too bad a thing. Good write up too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    1) the hard shell of the bladder presses on my lower spine. It's a nuisance.

2) the tube is too long and curves back towards your face. combined with the 90 degree bite valve, it ends up turning 90 degrees away from your mouth. it would be much more ergnomic if the valve was open at 180 degrees. as it currently is designed, I have to turn my head and pull back on the tube to get it to line up w/ my mouth. so the valve is constantly pressing against my lip and not allowing the water to flow smoothly.

The pack definitely needs better padding to counteract the solid plastic spine of the bladder hitting your lower back.

3) the pack fits surprisingly well and doesn't really move around on your back.

I wish there was a way to modify the bite valve. it's just not ergnomic at all.
    the magnet also needs to be stronger so you dont have to be so accurate and fumble around to get it to remount.

I've seen TINY magnets in power meters that are unbelievably strong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can cut the tube to whatever length you want. Are you sure you don't have an older 2012 model? If I remember right they upgraded the magnet on the 2013s. I know I rarely have a problem reattaching mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sounds like you have one of the previous generation Raptors. The 2013 reservoir and backpanels have been redesigned so that they still maintain enough structure to keep the load stable but are more compliant than earlier ones. You can definitely trim the hose to whatever length you want. The bite valve will pop off easily. Cut your hose and push the bite valve back on the hose.
    The magnet is also stronger on newer models. You can replace the reservoir with the new generation and get the stronger magnet or just order a replacement magnet kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    1) the hard shell of the bladder presses on my lower spine. It's a nuisance.

2) the tube is too long and curves back towards your face. combined with the 90 degree bite valve, it ends up turning 90 degrees away from your mouth. it would be much more ergnomic if the valve was open at 180 degrees. as it currently is designed, I have to turn my head and pull back on the tube to get it to line up w/ my mouth. so the valve is constantly pressing against my lip and not allowing the water to flow smoothly.

The pack definitely needs better padding to counteract the solid plastic spine of the bladder hitting your lower back.

3) the pack fits surprisingly well and doesn't really move around on your back.

I wish there was a way to modify the bite valve. it's just not ergnomic at all.
    the magnet also needs to be stronger so you dont have to be so accurate and fumble around to get it to remount.

I've seen TINY magnets in power meters that are unbelievably strong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    damn...you're right. I thought I was buying the latest model from the LBS....apparently they sold me the 2012 model. mine doesn't have the tool pouch, and it has a gray bladder.

hmm....maybe I can get them to exchange it? Is that something that you guys would honor? (it's the trek store in boulder).

I really want to like this pack, but it's just really hard against my lower spine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You could check with the shop where you got it. Any exchanges, etc. would have to take place through the original shop. The new model may cost a bit more but way worth it in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    damn...you're right. I thought I was buying the latest model from the LBS....apparently they sold me the 2012 model. mine doesn't have the tool pouch, and it has a gray bladder.

hmm....maybe I can get them to exchange it? Is that something that you guys would honor? (it's the trek store in boulder).

I really want to like this pack, but it's just really hard against my lower spine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    so I was able to get a refund and picked up the 2013 model from excel sports.

The design is much, much nicer. The bladder backplate is noticeably more compliant and softer, and I didn't notice the bag hitting on my lower spine at all!

Thanks for the heads up on the new design Osprey rep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast