mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Camelbak MULE NV vs 2013 Osprey Raptor 14

I am trying to decide between a 2013 Camelbak MULE NV and a 2013 Osprey Raptor 14. I like the zipper on the hipbelt pockets and the two side pockets on the Raptor. But I prefer the MULE's rain cover over the Raptor's tool pouch. I also like the MULE's D-Fit suspension. I guess I will have to try them both out at a store too see how they fit me before I pull the trigger.

Any comments/suggestions?

mtbr member

Good job!

Here's a good article on both. Mountain Mileage: Hydration Pack Battle - Camelbak Mule vs. Osprey Raptor 14

Hope this helps. P.S. I have an older Mule and I bought the newer Osprey. Love it!

Update: the newest Raptor has zippers on the hip pockets. Now you won't lose whatever you put in there-car keys!
    Last edited by HouseNotes; 03-18-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Updated raptor 14
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    if you have a chance to try both on (with water in them) I doubt you'll ever buy another camelbak product again.

It's like the difference in comfort of carrying 30# in a school book bag vs a real backpacking pack. Yes, Osprey is that much better.

mtbr member
    +1 Osprey takes hydration packs to a whole new level.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have the Raptor 10 and posted some thoughts a few threads down. Take a look if you get a chance. I love it!

mtbr member

My .02: Osprey!

I've had several Camelbaks: Mule, HAWG NV and the Charge LR. All are, or were, 2010-11 models. I still have the Charge LR, which is an ultralight pack for short rides with the reservoir in the belt (hence "Lumbar Reservoir).

I also have had an Osprey Manta, which I really liked and still have an Osprey Stratos 36, which is a GREAT day-hiking pack and will even work OK on a bike. I think the new Osprey Raptor 10 would be my choice. I just think that Osprey's overall design and quality are superior. And the new 2013 Raptor's with the tool belt will be my next bike pack. My .02!
    Last edited by Porschefan; 03-22-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Add'l comment
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member

Review of Osprey Raptor 14

This might be helpful in making your decision.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...l#post10248799
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for all the input. I have decided on the Raptor 14.

mtbr member
    Good choice. I think you'll be very happy.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Here's a good article on both. Mountain Mileage: Hydration Pack Battle - Camelbak Mule vs. Osprey Raptor 14

Hope this helps. P.S. I have an older Mule and I bought the newer Osprey. Love it!

Update: the newest Raptor has zippers on the hip pockets. Now you won't lose whatever you put in there-car keys!
    The 2013 Raptor 14 is much different than the one in that review. I bought the version in the review, but I had some problems with the shoulder straps fraying so I sent my pack in for repair, but Osprey said they couldn't fix the straps, so they sent me a new Raptor 14 (thanks Osprey!).

I don't recognize the new pack, and I'm not sure I like the new configuration. For instance, the old one had a pocket with a zipper across the top for holding keys, a wallet, and other items with several stretchy organizers. Now that pocket has a side zip, and it is really difficult to use the organizers because the openings for the organizers face upward, and the organizers are too close to the top of the pocket, so I don't think I will be able to use the organizers.

The new version also loses the side stretch pockets(even though the Osprey website claims they are there), which were great for securely holding two large water bottles on long desert rides.

The new version has a big open pocket, which Osprey calls a "shove-it pocket", for which I have no explanation. I've seen that feature on other packs, but it only seems good for holding things you want to lose. It's possible you could use the shove-it pocket to hold a second bladder for long desert rides.

The new Raptor 14 has a new, separate tool pocket. If you've ever seen a large pack for backpacking, it usually has a zippered compartment at the bottom of the pack for a sleeping bag. The Raptor 14 uses a similar configuration for the tool pocket, and when you unzip the tool pocket there is a burrito like pouch that unrolls for your tools.

The new version adds zippers to the hip pockets, which is nicer than the slash pockets found on the old version. And the zipper for the reservoir has changed so that it now zips half way down the shoulder strap, covering up the hose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Osprey's web site still says that the new Raptor 14 has stretch mesh side pocket. I checked one out at a store. The opening of the shove-it pocket extend all the way to the side. That's what the photo on the Osprey's web site is showing when it refer to the stretch mesh side pocket. Have you tried using those as a side pocket?