mtbr member
    Jul 2005

yellow jackets on Pilot Cove - Slate Rock

Watch out for yellow jackets if you are riding "Pilot Cove - Slate Rock" (trail #320 on Nat. Geographic map #780). When ridden in a clockwise direction the nest is about 200 yards before the intersection of "Pilot Cove - Slate Rock" and "Pilot Cove Loop" (#320a). They managed to sting two out of the 4 in our group several times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    [Edit: This is wrong]
    I just heard something recently. Something earth-shaking. Something that changed everything I thought I knew about stinging insects. I was told the yellow hornet looking things that nest in the ground are NOT yellow jackets, but they're called common wasps! What I usually thought of as wasps were actually paper wasps. The ones that have the football-shaped nests in trees are actual yellow jackets or sometimes hornets if they're bigger. Not to minimize your stings or your warning...but...anyone know if this is true? That yellow jackets do not nest in the ground?
    [Done being wrong]

Edit: Well, I should've done my research. It seems that in reality, they're ALL yellowjackets, but the ones that nest in the ground are more specifically called Common Wasps. Whatever they're called - watch out for them! That trail is notorious for them anyway...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket
    Last edited by mtbwnc; 08-15-2006 at 08:31 AM.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc
    I just heard something recently. Something earth-shaking. Something that changed everything I thought I knew about stinging insects. I was told the yellow hornet looking things that nest in the ground are NOT yellow jackets, but they're called common wasps! What I usually thought of as wasps were actually paper wasps. The ones that have the football-shaped nests in trees are actual yellow jackets or sometimes hornets if they're bigger. Not to minimize your stings or your warning...but...anyone know if this is true? That yellow jackets do not nest in the ground?
    False...these ground dwellers are yellowjackets..... Hornets are the larger brothers the do the football shaped nest in the trees. http://www.ipm.uiuc.edu/hyg/insects/yellowjackets/

heres a paperwasp nest

most of the nests we've stirred up while riding have always been the yellowjacket hole type nest in or around the trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep...so I guess there are just too many species for me to remember...

damn what is up with the double post? my bad

Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc
    Yep...so I guess there are just too many species for me to remember...
    they all suck, especially this time of year, their nests are about as big as they'll get, and the yellowjackets are super aggressive foraging for food. i tore a calf muscle this time last year after stirring up a next doing some trail work during a ride, trying to make my escape, and get back to my bike, they got me good.

Kudzu
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    they all suck, especially this time of year, their nests are about as big as they'll get, and the yellowjackets are super aggressive foraging for food. i tore a calf muscle this time last year after stirring up a next doing some trail work during a ride, trying to make my escape, and get back to my bike, they got me good.
    Thadthetroll ran into bees not long ago.

Just Sunday Mum with the PAS group ride ran into a hive.
    I'm sure they can tell you what kind of critters they ran into.

2 years ago I got stung in the parking lot in Pisgah (sucker was big like a bumble bee).
    Since we were already there, I figured I might as well ride.
    Big Mistake, whatever stung me made my arm swell.
    Over the tiniest of bumps it felt like my arm was broken.

That reminds me, I need to change out the benadryl in my camelbak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeppers those succas can hurt ya. .I got lucky this time... 1st one over this nest.. but I recall last summer a stirring up a nest and I counted 20 or more stings ...from what I have been told the best way to get away and or stop the mad bees's chasing ya forever is to get away quickly and once you are a few yards away Stop and stay still (Obviously withen a reasonable distance) as the bees are more aggressive to a moving Object and or become more aggitated over something moving ..Anyone have opinions ??..it did seem to work on the Large nest we hit last summer we didnt see it coming the folks in frount stopped and it was a big ole mess but I yelled fer them to go once we got away we stopped still and they calmed down as we brushed them and beat them off each other..Golly there were a LOT LOT of them!! ..Yes it was a bad nest and I think it could have been worse..the bees that attacked us were alread on or around us when we stopped..Thank Goodness no one was allergic..

Ride On...
    Never mind the bees Dude's..
    I encountered a Red Wolf on this same loop
    about 2 months ago.

No, No No, it wasn't a coyote. I've seen them
    several times. I did the research and besides,
    this one was larger and heavier than a German
    Shepperd. Pretty scary experience, even for me...

Last edited by Killer B; 09-03-2006 at 08:04 AM.

() Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride... ()

mtbr member
    what did the wolf do? That would probably freak me out especially at night.

has anyone seen a cat before? No, not a bob cat, a real cat, ie cougar.

Ride On...
    The wolf looked right me, maybe 50 feet away, and ran pretty fast up a steep mountainside. I could see it's eye's with the piercing glance it gave me. Nothing quite like a "wild" animal looking directly at you, especially one that close, and that's capable of killing you...

The only cougar I've ever seen around WNC was down on I-40 near the TN welcome center tunnel. It was dead and looked like it had been hit by a vehicle. It was huge though. Alot larger than a wild cat.

BTW, I always carry a .22 pistol with me when I ride (solo 99.9% of the time) and now you know why. That and all the crazy SOB's out there nowadays...

() Life's Short, Enjoy The Ride... ()

Philosophizer
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    what did the wolf do? That would probably freak me out especially at night.

has anyone seen a cat before? No, not a bob cat, a real cat, ie cougar.

4:30 am.....Highway 11 near table rock,about 8 yrs ago. Big Cat with a long tail.
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.