mtbr member

Would it make a difference if...

Kind of a disturbing story on one of the local news stations about MTB in the area. I have never been to this area to ride so I cannot comment on the trails themselves in regards to mountain biking's impact. Really can't believe how one sided the journalism is on this piece.

My understanding is there's not an organized trail crew that does work in that neck of the woods. I would feel much better about deflecting accusations from someone like this if we could say " look we(mountain bikers) logged 200 man hours maintaining those trails last year." But since we don't have a presence other than shredding down those trails it makes anyone with a vendetta against mtbing feel justified in singling out cyclist for the "damage" to that area. It also makes it a whole lot easier to sway the publics perception against mtb in an area of the forest in which we do more taking than giving.

Here is my question, would it have made a difference if there was a trail crew of mountain bikers helping maintain the Big Ivy/Coleman area?

http://wlos.com/news/features/featured/stories/photographer-captures-troubling-images-1192.shtml

mtbr member

Would like to view but page won't load. Got another link?

mtbr member
    Try this. Sorry first time posting a link from MTBR.

Photographer Captures Troubling Images - WLOS News13 - Featured

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter View Post
    My understanding is there's not an organized trail crew that does work in that neck of the woods.
    Correct. This was brought up at the forest service "Trail Strategy" (lol) meetings last year, and I felt some strong sentiment against mountain biking in that area from folks in the room. I started this thread back then, and ended up seeing a lot more arguing and controversy than support and ideas for maintaining the trails (imagine that). And then the Trail Strategy completely fizzled out.

Looks like most MTBr'sjust see the area as a lesser-known place to shred downhill and well...there you go.

I personally think it would have made a difference, yes.

ready to ride
    I don't think trail work would make one difference with this guy. Horrible reporting, I am guessing that is bear pen. Umm legal bike trail right? I was prepared to see some bad damage. Did I miss that somewhere ? This guy would have a coronary if he saw the trails at Bent Creek. My guess is this guy likes to hike it since its close to his house and he doesn't like to share with bikers barreling downhill.

Sure trail maintenance is a good thing but he would probably complain about drain pits etc. He just wants to hike on natural trails, oh wait there aren't really any natural trails are there. I shudder to think how this guy would react to a prescribed burning or god forbid a timber sale.

Back to a poor job reporting the facts and only one side of the story. I think we should all send him a lemail giving him another positive point of view.
    johnle@wlos.com
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

ready to ride
    Oh the link changed Again. I found it here

Photographer Captures Troubling Images - WLOS News13 - Top Stories

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think he found an easy way to promote his business on the news... Here's the scenario: Send the station a breaking story about vandals! Have the news show up, run a biased story about impact and then show his pictures and website online. No really, he truly cares! If you look through his website his photos are pretty ho-hum. Composition is weak and lacking in color correction. He's looking for all the help he can get...

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot321 View Post
    I think he found an easy way to promote his business on the news... Here's the scenario: Send the station a breaking story about vandals! Have the news show up, run a biased story about impact and then show his pictures and website online. No really, he truly cares! If you look through his website his photos are pretty ho-hum. Composition is weak and lacking in color correction. He's looking for all the help he can get...
    Don't forget he braved 15 degree weather to take pictures of looking glass falls. He had to hike what, at least 30 yards on a man made stairs. Just think of the trees they had to cut and the damage they made to the the river bank. Not a trail, but a river bank for crying out loud. Think of all the unnecessary erosion!

The dude is a twit, maybe he will get lucky and a tree will fall on him or something.

Sorry, not meaning to detract from the original post, I guess it just struck a nerve.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Here's what i heard, "Those damn mountaiin bikers are tearing up the forest! They even stole my pot plants I planted along one trail! Didn't even leave me a stem! Damn it!!"
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter View Post
    Really can't believe how one sided the journalism is on this piece.
    You must not have been watching the news for a long long time now. Journalism is almost always one sided.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Big Mac

None of the links work for me, but John Le is a true pusquit. If I see him, I'm gonna kick him in his vajeyjey.

mtbr member
    Looks like we need to start a campaign to constantly call the news and drag them out to trail work sites until they do a story on all the trail work done by us delinquents...
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

drunken pirate
    The only way an organized trail crew would make a difference in the Big Ivy area is if the work they did was in line with the experience the riders who build those jumps and berms are looking for. Those trails really are a mess but they demonstrate the demand for that type of trail in the region. An organized and official trail crew who goes out there and does the usual work of cleaning and building drains, triming and looking for 'sustainable' realignments might win over the USFS and some users but they would not win over the bikers looking for the jumps and berms. And once those jumps and berms are gone the riders who used them are going to be disappointed and will move on to the next area to build what they are looking for.

Big Ivy is very much on the USFS radar and is a likely candidate for trail closures for mountain bikes. As mtbwnc said, at the Trail Strategy there was strong sentiment against mountain bikers in that area and the district ranger said they would get it taken care of...

Instead of seeing those trails closed to bikes I'd rather see them transformed into a 'sustainable' system where the riders could still keep their jumps and berms.

This isn't unique to just the Big Ivy area either. As many of us know, over the last few years several non-system trails have been created by mountain bikers that offer a similar experience in the Pisgah District. I guess some mountain bikers' definition of flow and what makes an excellent experience includes more than never having to brake, pedal or steer
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Those trails really are a mess but they demonstrate the demand for that type of trail in the region.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and posit that the National Forests in NC is not willing to be in the business of supplying *that* particular demand.

mtbr member
    Wow, what a story! Must have been an incredibly slow news day.

I find the idea that a "nature photog" suggested installing motion-sensor cameras to "catch the culprits" particularly intriguing.

Strava must've made these evil mountain bikers into even bigger jerkoffs and is the actual culprit in all of our erosion woes.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and posit that the National Forests in NC is not willing to be in the business of supplying *that* particular demand.
    I don't think you have to go out on a limb to say that.

But just because the NFinNC is not interested in supplying *that* particular demand, doesn't make the demand any less real or any less valid. And it also does not mean that those types of trails should not and cannot be built in National Forests in NC. There is precedent for such trails in other regions. Trails that provide the experience those riders are looking for can be built in a safe and maintainable manner. Local riders who are after that sort of experience could work with the USFS to get the trails they want built and designated. Let's not forget that these are our national forests and the USFS works for us. Change is possible.

I'm not brave enough to hit a jump or ride a berm or a skinny but I am open minded enough to recognize that there is a valid demand and need for more than just the type of trail that I prefer to ride my bike on. I'd love to see some designated DH/freeride/whateveryoucallit trails on our national forests.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    It looks like all this guy is out for his photography business to get going...they focused on his website real close...all you see is one MTB track and it's not even close to what he was pointing out...(the side of the hill..just plain erosion could have done that..esp with all the rain we've had)...there was no other mtb tracks...he does not know it was mtbers who made the other trail...hopefully he does not turn out to be another mike vandeman.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just another poorly thrown together fake story about fake people, (that redneck is no nature photograopher, or photographer at all) used to get the public used to having our privacy invaded even in the middle of the phuckign woods. Sometimes I hate the world.