mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Women riders in Greenville/Spartanburg area

I'm sort of a newbie to riding and I'm trying to ride with other women (rather than always riding with my boyfriend). Anyone up for riding somewhere in the vicinity? I'm in Spartanburg and I frequent Croft. I'm definitely willing to do some driving to get in a good ride- that's what it's all about!
    I cycle, therefore I am.

Official Cooler Inspector

Listen!

I assume the Sparkle-Vegas area posters are watching TV.

There's many casual and organized folks who do rides in Bent Creek and surrounding areas - on any given day. Time frames and skill levels set the pace for what's happening, so don't limit your interest to "gender rides". You might want to check out: http://www.meetup.com/Asheville-MTB-Meetup-Group/
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm hoping they stop soon! I'd love to hit the trails this weekend!
    I know I shouldn't be, but I'm slightly paranoid about riding with guys. Every guys' group I've ever been on has been really intense and all about "killing it." I'm okay on the bike, but in some aspects, I'm still getting the hang of riding. I'm hoping to ride with some women (simply because I've only ever ridden with men) and learn a bit more about riding. I've heard from several women riders that it's very different riding with a women's group than men's. Not that I don't want to ride with men ever, but I'd like to develop my own riding group (rather than relying on whoever my boyfriend rides with).
    I cycle, therefore I am.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    And thank you for the link- I appreciate it!
    I cycle, therefore I am.

mtbr member
    I live in Spartanburg and know 2 women that ride MTB here. There are a few in the Greenville SORBA group (AKA the Paris Mountain Bike Club). Look for Upstate SORBA on Facebook and you should find some people.

I did a casual ride with one of the 2 women and one other guy this past Sunday and we had a great time.

There are a good number of women in the Freewheelers who show up for a lot of the regular road rides around here. Most of them kick my a$$.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Official Cooler Inspector
    Everything I learned about mountain biking, I learned from men!

I learned MTB riding on an an old school bike. I was the token chica on many back country hike-a-bike death trips "solo" with a pack of men who (sometimes) waited for me to catch up. Hence, I never learned to appreciate stopping for safety checks... times have changed.
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm in the burg and would be glad to meet up sometime. I'm very very new myself...just got my bike about 6 weeks ago. I haven't been to Croft yet but it's not far from my house. Been working on building confidence at Cottonwood and at USCU. Am headed to Woodstock GA women's clinic on Saturday 10/16 to build some skills and confidence. It was the closest skills clinic I could find. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to meet up sometime.

mtbr member
    My wife (and I) just moved to GVL and I'd love to have her make some new friends with similar interests. The only problem, she is recovering from an injury she got from Snowshoe back in August. It might be a few more weeks before she can do some XC type riding.

I'll pass this thread on to her later today.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Everything I learned about mountain biking, I learned from men!

I learned MTB riding on an an old school bike. I was the token chica on many back country hike-a-bike death trips "solo" with a pack of men who (sometimes) waited for me to catch up. Hence, I never learned to appreciate stopping for safety checks... times have changed.
    Oh YES! I remember starting a ride with the dudes and MUM in tow..........thinking "yeah right, she better know the way".......and after several "S-C" stops, there'd be MUM pulling up and ready to keep going all the way to the end..........just 5 minutes behind. Yep..........MUM abides, she's just slower and much more careful. So, if you're a "chica" you should hook up with "The MUM"...........
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Croft can be a good spot to learn to ride on. My Wife rides and I think she is great at it and a good teacher too. We jsut had a baby so it will be a few weeks before I can get her on a bike again. She has a friend who rides with her to. Me and my buds go on ahead and her and her friends meander behind. I have a radio on my shoulder and she has one on her back so if a chain comes off or a tire flats, I go back to fix it. Croft has some loops that i can go on and catch back up to her as well which can make it good for both of us, I get to push myself and meet up with her later on down the trail. Keep persuing the Girl ride thing though becuase I woudl love to see my wife be a part of more female orientated rides!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My wife and I live in Hendersonville, and we're always looking for people to ride with. She would like ot make some friends, as we're somewhat new to the area. So if you would like to ride at Dupont, Pisgah, Bent Creek, Paris Mountain, or Croft, she (or we) would definitely be up for a ride now and then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mike- thank you so much! I'll definitely check it out.
    MUM- you sound like you know what you're talking about- if you have any insights on the finer points of riding, I'd love to hear them sometime!
    sameyeam- definitely! I'd love to ride together sometime. Send me a message if you want to get together.
    waterdogs- I hope your wife feels better soon! Definitely see if she's interested in riding when she's able.
    Senor StrongBad- I think I met you on the trail with my boyfriend, Matt (drumsev). Whenever your wife is up and around, let me know! Congratulations!
    I cycle, therefore I am.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    seems like I only ride in Pisgah these days but drop me a line if you want to ride up closer to Asheville. Though if Pisgah gets snowed in again this winter I'll be riding Croft/Harbison too.
    And maybe we should just have a loosely organized every-other-weekish women's ride in the area?? It's hard to believe there isn't one already.
    I would gladly organize it, but between various committments I would need some co-leaders to be sure it would be going off on a regular basis. If anyone else is interested speak up, let's get something going.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds amazing to me- I'm down!
    I cycle, therefore I am.

mtbr member
    @ mtnishy: I signed her up to the forum last night and she has been reading up. She'll post soon. user ID is waterdogs2 (so much for originality)

We are by no means XC racers, not to mention getting older by the day. Hill climbing is and will likely always be a challenge. I know that she is anxious to get back on the bike as it's been almost two months..... she had to watch us this past weekend at Clemson Freeride Park which I no bothered her a bit. BTW, if you and your boyfriend are up for something different and not overly challenging in the grand scheme of things, Clemson Freeride is great. If that's not your cup of tea, then on the other side of the lake is the Isaqueena (spelling?) XC trail system.

Also, I do agree with some of the others, Dupont and Pisgah, although a drive are epic! Well worth it.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I live in Asheville, ride mainly Bent Creek, Dupont, and now more of Pisgah - but would love to hook up sometime if you want. I have a few other women I ride with a lot, and we're always up for more company.

EmilyB - I love the idea of a semi-regular women's ride. I'd be happy to help with it, but am definitely not qualified to lead a ride in Pisgah without a cue sheet and a map. Dupont or Bent Creek, OTOH, I'm good with. Keep us posted!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well I know Pisgah well enough to ride without maps but I get lost every time I ride in Dupont so this could work out pretty nicely.
    It would be awesome to have an all-are-welcome moderate-paced/moderate-skill women's ride not affiliated with any team or shop. For women who are riding more seriously, it could serve as a cool-down or rest day ride. I'm not thinking "skills clinic" or "beginner ride" just meeting up and riding trails with other women.
    Unfortunately due to racing and other commitments my weekends are sometimes tied up but we could get something going if more people than just me committed to this. If the time slot varied week to week that would help too. Seriously, send me a personal message with your real email address if you are interested. If it seems like there might be anyone else I will start posting announcements here and elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Emily- I am so down! I can't wait to get it started.
    waterdogs- Maybe Matt and I can check that out sometime soon... Clemson Freeride sounds great.
    I cycle, therefore I am.