Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

WNC's Rifle Season for Deer Opens Monday...

Just a friendly reminder for all who ride Pisgah District or Dupont State Forest--WNC's rifle season for deer opens Monday, November 22 and runs through Saturday, December 11. NC does not yet allow Sunday hunting on public lands, and hunting on DSF is only Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. While riding the next few weeks, don't look or sound like a deer! Wearing orange helps, and picking your ride venue wisely also helps!

More info here:

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...ters-get-ready

and here:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/hunting/H_Season_Dates.htm

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

And He was Not
    Just curious, Has anyone had a bullet come wizzing by while out riding? I know some kid and his father wasted someone gathering galax last year.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I haven't had a problem while biking, but I've had some scary encounters while horseback riding. Once with a guy who was angry that I was disturbing his hunting area and started firing his rifle to scare the horse - big success on his part, and scared the ***** out of me and my horse. And a good friend of mine just about got shot while riding near the French Broad River by a moron who was floating down the river and firing at the shore. She was on an Appaloosa - think big spots - so neither she nor the horse looked anything like a deer.

A horse is definitely more deer-like than a bike, but do be aware that crazy people are out there (as well as perfectly nice, responsible hunters also, I'm sure.) I'm still very leery while biking during hunting season - I wear a lot of orange and don't go out in the woods at all anymore during rifle season for deer.

mtbr member

Running out of the water

I was fly-fishing Bradley Creek, at the Mills River end, three years ago during the Thanksgiving weekend. I had my two dogs cabled, not tied, but cabled to a tree near my gear. Kind of like their home base. With Yellow Gap Road not too far away from where I hiked down from, I didn't want them playing in traffic when I was stalking the elusive trout. Plus I was ending my day and didn't want to put two wet Dobbermans into my car. Anyway.....

I hear two gunshots.

I run out of the water, slipping all over the place in my waders and felt-soled shoes trying to gain traction on six inches of leaves, and this guy is having a showdown with my dogs. Who of course are now trying frantically to retreat, but their cables won't let them. I ask what the heck is going on and the guy tells me that he is afraid of the dogs and shot warning shots over their heads. Seriously? The dude is carrying a freaking gun. What should he be scared about? My fishing rod tube, hip pack, thermos, and jacket? Or the dogs tied up off of the (fishing) trail. I tried to reason with him, "You didn't see my stuff right next to them? You realize that they can't run after you because they're tied to the tree with those green cables..." I kept my wits and sarcasm in check. To some degree rationality was out the window. What made me mad is that he said he'd do it again. What if he didn't have the gun? Would he have karate-chopped them or just kicked them in the ribs? Afterwards I got to thinking, "You know, his shots really could have hit me." I was done. Packed it in and went home. Wife, not so happy to hear about my experience. I guess it made a little more thankful. True story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WNC's Rifle Season for Deer Opens Monday...-ester-bester-keeping-me-company.jpg  

WNC's Rifle Season for Deer Opens Monday...-sunny-d-fishing-me.jpg  

"You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Just curious, Has anyone had a bullet come wizzing by while out riding?
    Yes.

I know some kid and his father wasted someone gathering galax last year.
    Close. Sort of.
    "The Ice Age is comin', the Sun's zoomin' in..."

-The Clash

banned
    prelude's suck.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    I love my guns but that right is a double-edged sword. Most any moron can get one.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by earl06
    Yes.

Close. Sort of.

My bad, I found the article, It was a adult who unloaded into the bushes. Turkey Pen Shooting

Not trying to start a Hunter /Biker panic . I was curious as I have had a round hit the ground 20 yards away from me while standing in my Grandfathers front yard in S.C. My Uncle and myself heard the shot and few split seconds later heard the bullet whizzing and it hit the ground beside us. We decided to go inside for a while.

I ride Uwharrie regularly during Hunt season, I often see people dragging thier deer down the trails, it still wigs me out a bit.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

ohhman
    Took buck shot all around me on Long Branch a couple years back. An old lady came running out of woods to see what she shot, luckily she shot trees not me. I yelled @ her for a bit until hubby comes out pissed, with gun pointed, telling me to apologize for swearing @ his lady. I had to just shut up and ride on before I was jerky.

banned
    My bad, I found the article, It was a adult who unloaded into the bushes. [url]

Not trying to start a Hunter /Biker panic . I was curious as I have had a round hit the ground 20 yards away from me while standing in my Grandfathers front yard in S.C. My Uncle and myself heard the shot and few split seconds later heard the bullet whizzing and it hit the ground beside us. We decided to go inside for a while.

I ride Uwharrie regularly during Hunt season, I often see people dragging thier deer down the trails, it still wigs me out a bit.
    as fast as you are Jerry they couldn't hit you if they tried.

mtbr member
    My story- I think I've told it on here before.

A few Double Dares ago, my wife and I were were riding up 140-A towards Farlow. Some space had developed between us. Could hear bear hunters driving trucks illegally on the road and through the woods, dogs barking, for about a 1/2 hour. The trucks got a lot louder quickly and got between us. I turned around as a truck came barrelling up the road behind me loaded with several hunters, guy jumps out, gun in hand running up to me stage whispering it's the big one it's the big one while holding up his hand for me to stop.

A few seconds later, shots echo. Voices start coming out of two-ways all the guys have, then a bunch of hooting and hollering, then dudes loud back up into truck and whip it around back down the road. I follow.

Wife comes pedaling up. Dogs treed the bear right in front of her- less than 20 yards- , she stopped, hunter on foot full camo no orange shoots from downhill across the road she had just been traveling on, killing the bear ( I think, she said the dogs were all over it like a tornado when it fell out of the tree) She points out to him that she's standing right there and he says he saw her, had to get that bear. Awesome.

As somebody else said, those weren't hunters, they were a$$holes.

mtbr member
    Two years ago a buddy and I were riding in Wilsons Creek area and camped out. It was during the middle of the week so it was pretty empty out there. As soon as it got dark the dogs start coming thru with the trucks following. One of the hunters said you boys better pack it up for the night and go home as it was "coon" season. Apparently that is slang for we are officially out here hunting racoons, but if nobody is looking I'm gonna shoot me a bear.

We never got shot at, but I heard dogs and trucks all night and was just waiting for a panicked, hunted, pissed off bear to coming storming into our campsite all night. We were suppose to be there for a couple nights and do a night ride the following night. We went home, and I'll never go riding in the WNC mountains ever again during hunting season, just too many dumba$$es out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just curious, Has anyone had a bullet come wizzing by while out riding? I know some kid and his father wasted someone gathering galax last year.

you know that shee-at was in my 'back-yard' right? i had to have the SnR vehicle move their trailer so i could get into my driveway.

Also, another nice story. ZB and myself were riding up 215 this past summer and had some kid shooting at cans he had set up along the highway from his porch. his mentality was that 'he would hear cars coming" and not shoot.

we all ride in an area where "that stuff" does happen. be safe!

d ****z

(and then, there's AVL........)

drunken pirate
    Wear orange, be loud, and keep your dogs leashed and we'll all make it through these challenging three weeks without a problem .
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdude
    I love my guns but that right is a double-edged sword. Most any moron can get one.
    Same boat.

My grandfather was career Army and he taught his kids (My mom, aunt and uncle) marksmanship with a focus on safety.

They then taught us. We grow up with basically an armory in our house that was not locked up nor put where we could not get to it. We knew and respected the rules for the firearms. They where never hidden from us and if we wanted to go shoot all we had to do was ask. Every-time out shooting was a focus on safety 1st and marksmanship.

Any firearm can be a great tool for self defense and/or placing food on the table or it can be a great source of danger to the person caring it and anyone/anything within a couple mile radius of him. I see a lot of people that think because they know how to load a "gun" that they know how to use it (that is scary). The person with it must know how to use it safely or it is just a booby trap waiting for someone to do something stupid.

Any "free" person should at least know how to use a firearm properly. True Freedom comes from knowing that you can defend yourself, your loved ones and your property from any threat whether it be the threat of going hungry, or an attack by a bear/wildlife, or unlawful intruder or for that matter a tyrannical government.

If you don't know how to use a firearm or you think you know how to use one... Attend an Appleseed Weekend.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

For a small price you will learn 1st and fore most the what and why we have the 2nd amendment. What the Founding Fathers lived and believed and why marksmanship was and still is so important for real Freedom.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    Wear orange, be loud, and keep your dogs leashed and we'll all make it through these challenging three weeks without a problem .
    That's it in a nutshell! My OP was intended to inform, not to inflame...

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i personally see no use for guns in our society

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker

Look in the mirror. . .

Sorry you set yourself up for that one.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    zing!

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker
    Resident of Candyland?

mtbr member
    I'm happy to acknowledge I'm a tree hugging hippie pacifist vegetarian who would never ever own a gun and believes that the idea that you should carry/own one "just to be safe" is a symptom of greater problems, not an answer- but....

I also have respect for intelligent and humane hunting. For most people, it's just as much about enjoying the woods as it is about shooting guns and killing something. I get that and respect it- I never would have grown up with the love I have for the outdoors/environment without my dad taking me fishing/camping so much as a kid- and that's something I'm thankful for every day.

banned
    pile on boys! I think you have a dessenter from popular opinion.

banned
    Well I might as well e-ride cause none of ya'll will actually ride...lets see.
    1. This whole thread sounds like whining!
    2.I am not a hippie and I do own many guns
    3.I may just start hunting again just to kill off all my frustration from e-riding.
    4. I don't carry a gun but I do carry a knife, so if you miss me watch-out!
    5.Did I mention this whole thread sounds like Whining!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Well I might as well e-ride cause none of ya'll will actually ride...lets see.
    1. This whole thread sounds like whining!
    2.I am not a hippie and I do own many guns
    3.I may just start hunting again just to kill off all my frustration from e-riding.
    4. I don't carry a gun but I do carry a knife, so if you miss me watch-out!
    5.Did I mention this whole thread sounds like Whining!
    you just need to man up!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bus_142
    you just need to man up!
    Thats it!!! I'm building my SS back-up and then I can ride around Rice Pinnacle parking lot for 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast