mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Winter Short Track Series Dates

2011 Winter Short Track Mountain Bike Series Kicking off January 16

Dates for the much anticipated Winter Short Track Series have been posted on the event website. We are still working on sponsors for the 2011 season but wanted to spread the word as we have secured the dates. We had originally worked on running the series a little later but softball starts in late February so the park is not available.

The series will once again be held on Sundays: January 16, 23 and 30, February 6 and 13

If you haven't ever raced the series, its a blast. Its super specator friendly, great for beginners or the seasoned vet. Plus...we are working on a great BEER sponsor.

Renaissance Park Short Track
    Charlotte, NC

Series registration will be available soon. We are actually going to run a "Christmas Special" this year....info posted soon.

For more info on the series, check out www.charlottemtnbike.com

mtbr member
    This was fun when I did it a few years ago. Drop bar mountain bikes OK?
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This event is open to all bikes. Some guys have raced cyclo-cross bikes but most race mountain bikes. There are some race participants who put rigid forks on the bike for the series. That's one thing great about the series, you can try different bikes or set ups to see what you feel is faster.

Cheers
    Neal

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There's been several request for a clydesdale category. I believe we can add the category into the 1:15 time slot for a 30 minute race. I want to get a general feel from the mountain bike community about adding the category. I'm all about motivating anyone and everyone to get off the couch in the winter but we need enough people to make for a solid race.

Would adding the clydesdale category motivate you to break out the bike this winter??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    DISCOUNTED SERIES REGISTRATION HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO NEW YEARS DAY!
    Register by NOON on NEW YEARS DAY and race one event for FREE.
    24 hours and counting!

http://www.BikeReg.com/events/regist...?eventid=12161

Also...we have added a Clydesdale category to the mix this year.

Racing in the snow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_t5GCV1_Ps

The series will once again be held on Sundays:
    January 16, 23 and 30, February 6 and 13.
    Renaissance Park Short Track

For more info on the series, check out www.charlottemtnbike.com or
    http://www.charlottemtnbike.com/short-trackhome.htm

Special thanks to our series supporting sponsors
    East Blvd Bar and Grill.... http://ebbandg.com/
    Heartwood Tree Service.... http://heartwoodtree.com/
    All About the Pipes Plumbing...... http://allaboutthepipes.com/
    Dirt Divas...... www.dirtdivas.net

Our shop sponsors this year include:
    Bike Line of Charlotte, Queen City Bicycles (Charlotte), BikeSource (Charlotte), Bicycle Sport (Charlotte), Ultimate Bicycle (Matthews), Bicycles East (Mathews), Carolina Bike Company (Charlotte and Huntersville), The Cycle Path (Cornelius), Cool Breeze Cyclery (Mooresville), Trek Bicycle Store of Charlotte, Blood, Sweat and Gears (Denver), Sun and Ski Sports (Concord) and the newly opened Live it Extreme in Mooresville.

We could not put on such an exciting event without the support of our event sponsors. Please stop by and see our sponsors over the holidays.

Happy New Year to ALL!
    Neal Boyd

cowbellchallenge
    Mar 2007
    is this a usac true Race series? or is it a usac Training series?

mtbr member
    Might try one of those Feb dates. Good excuse to visit the fam!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The 2011 Winter Short Track Series is sanctioned through USA Cycling so race participants must have an annual USAC mountain bike license or participants can purchase the one-day USAC license on race day. USAC one-day license is $5 per day. You can race multiple races on the same day with a one-day license. If you are interested in ordering an annual license, you can visit www.usacycling.org. The annual license does have a medical insurance policy included in the license.

Cheers
    Neal

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This looks like fun. We have never tried Mountain Bike racing before but want to try something new in the cycling disipline. I have a 14 year old and a 16 year old. do these classes have lots of riders in them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Winter Series is a great place to try mountain bike racing, especially for young children. With the shorter course, you're not sending kids two or three miles out in the woods wondering when they are going to come back. Plus, with the short course, you pass the spectators more often. The spectators are very encouraging and always support the kids during the race. We typically have around ten or so junior boys in each age group and four to five junior girls racing during each of the event. If the weather isn't rough, we obviously have more.

We also have several juniors who are very experienced racing with the Sport, Super Sport and Expert categories.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I printed the flyer out. I am going to try and get up there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Do you hate filling out the participant release form every time you come to the race? I know many people do as we here the complaints but we must as its required by our insurance.

Pre-register for the series online at BikeReg.com and we will print your form for each event. All you will do is sign the form at each event and you are ready to go race. Registering for the series online will also save you money. We will have the online registration open until Saturday.

http://www.charlottemtnbike.com/Shor...gistration.htm

Bike Dork
    Great event yesterday. Mud and slickness added to the fun! Hot chocolate with marshmallows on site, bonus!

mtbr member
    Agreed... badass race. Lookin forward to next weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Looks like its going to be a little colder on Sunday but the course should be dry or at least not as wet as this past Sunday.

mtbr member
    I hope it's not as wet... i'll have much skinnier tires... :-\

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Short track course is in great shape. Should be nice and fast on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Last race of the 2011 Winter Short Track Series is the weekend. Course has been in great shape and the racing off the hook. We will have veggie soup, chili, hot chocolate and Caribou coffee out at the race. Also, East Blvd Bar and Grill is running a special on Old Meck Brewery beer all day and for the race party. GREAT beer.

For more info and pictures of the races, check out

www.charlottemtnbike.com or

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=101656526575298