Thread: Wilson Ridge

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Wilson Ridge

Can anybody give me a trail report for Wilson Ridge?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I haven't been up it since the spring but coming from Brown Mtn Beach rd. I would say it's not really worth it. I could be missing something, maybe I didn't explore far enough.

(Honest answer, not a Wilson's sux don't come here answer)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You'll surely get lost; It is part of the Wilson Creek adventure.

Trail Liberator
    Gps

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    About 8 months ago I rode it from 90 south to its end at brown mtn beech rd. Lots of short hike-a-bike sections, plenty of trees that have been down across the trail for what looks like a long time. The trail crosses private property, and even though a couple sections I could see blazes there would be private property signs. Even one spot where someone installed a gated fence across the road bed that the trail is on. Not sure if the FS is still managing, or even still has, a right of way for this trail through those properties. Either way, we kept going cuz that's the way we needed to go.

We rode wilsons ridge as part of a longer 40ish mile route that included "other" trails. The one trail that is supposed to be for mtn bikes- wilsons ridge- was the least fun of them all. If not for the confusing private property issues, than for the fact that the trail hasn't had any maintenance in decades, has erosion ruts 5' deep in places, and tons of trees fallen across the trail. Perhaps the section north of 90 is better?

The whole issue with mountain bikes in the wilson area makes me wonder if the grandfather ranger district really gives a ****. Does anyone know if they have any plans to legitimize any of the "other" trails, or atleast provide not-shitty trails to ride on? Or are they one of the ranger districts run by one of the crochety old timers that is inherently anti-mtb?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster
    The whole issue with mountain bikes in the wilson area makes me wonder if the grandfather ranger district really gives a ****. Does anyone know if they have any plans to legitimize any of the "other" trails, or atleast provide not-shitty trails to ride on? Or are they one of the ranger districts run by one of the crochety old timers that is inherently anti-mtb?
    Wilson Creek sucks....

So back to Wilson Ridge, it looks lovely and long on a topo but isn't on the popular side of the mountain so it gets no attention. I actually plan on scouting it out this winter, never been on it before. Might need some clearing but this is the season for that kind of BS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks thumpduster that's the info I was looking for and I had a feeling that the trail was going to be in really bad shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yep, it still sucks,
    I have an A-C shoulder separation from a spill on Raspberry last Saturday.
    I'll have to go back in the spring (when the shoulder is healed) to confirm just how bad the riding up there is!
    c

To those that stopped to help and gave me encouraging words, thanks. At 49 yrs old, I have to admit I felt like a scared puppy up there. What goes around, comes around, thanks again.

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster
    Does anyone know if they have any plans to legitimize any of the "other" trails,
    In the recent past, "trails" were measured and added to a map. The results of which should tell you the extent of what it means to be a trail in the Grandfather Pisgah District. Ride In Peace, Pisgah!