Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! Widmer Brothers Rivers Edge MTB Marathon

Widmer Brothers Rivers Edge Mountain Bike Marathon
    US National Whitewater Center
    Saturday, August 29
    Endurance Racing, Food, Beer, Music and Entertainment for the Whole Family

The 2nd Annual Widmer Brothers Rivers Edge Mountain Bike Marathon is a 50 mile mountain bike which will test mountain bikers both mentally and physically. The race is held on the super sweet singletrack trails at the US National Whitewater Center . The race will consist of four laps around a 12.5 mile loop.

Solo Categories: Men 19 - 34, Men 35 - 49, Men 50+,
    Women 19 - 39, Women 40+, Single Speed, Juniors
    Duo Categories: Duo Male, Duo Female, Duo Coed

Awards
    Winners Jersey: Widmer Brothers Merino Wool Jersey to each SOLO first place finisher.
    Sweet Trophies: Top three Solo and Duo finishers
    Sponsor Prizes: Top five Solo finishers and top three Duo finishers.

All registrants will receive a sponsor goody bag including a 2009 Widmer Brothers River Edge Mountain Bike Marathon T-Shirt.

US National Whitewater Center Discount Passes
    All race registrants will receive discount passes for activities at the US National Whitewater Center: climbing, whitewater rafting, flatwater kayaking, zip line, eco cache and the ropes course. Passes will be available for the entire family of each race participant and will be valid for entire weekend
    www.usnwc.org

Packet Pickup/Race Set Up: 6:30AM to 8:30PM
    Prerace Meeting: 8:30AM
    Race Start: 9:00AM
    Last Lap: 4:00PM
    Widmer Brothers Beer and Food @ Rivers Edge Bar & Grill: 2:00PM to 6:00PM
    Awards Ceremony @ Rivers Edge Bar & Grill: 5:00PM to 5:30PM
    Live Music: 6:00PM to 9:00PM

Registration is open!
    For more information or to register for the event, visit www.charlottemtnbike.com

mtbr member
    I was thinking of doing this one. Is there an aid station at the start/finish area or do we need to provide all of our own water and so forth?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We will have a fully stocked pit area with food, water and Clif Shot Drink mix. We plan to have PB & J's, fruit, bagels, etc. Lots of food.

consistent default champ
    I know they had plenty of fluid last year and that was good because it was HOT!

Looking forward to the race again this year and hopefully cutting off a chunk of my time from last year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We are planning to have iced down towels at the finish line also.

consistent default champ
    When will the course be marked? I have the day off work Friday and planned on playing on the trails (if the weather doesn't close them). This will only be the second time (last time was in 2005) that I will have rode the trails without it being a race.

mtbr member
    Will be doing it again this year! Last year was a great event and I know the heat took a toll on everyone but mother nature will always have her way.

Neal, where will the starting line/transistion area be this year? I saw where the mileage per lap has gone up a bit and wondering if it effected where the start area will be.

Thanks
    IF IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A HANDLEBAR...I,M IN!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We plan on marking the course the week of the event. Its actually pretty simple, just ride all trails at the park.

The start/finish/transition will be in the exact same spot as last year. We will be holding the awards ceremony at the Rivers Edge Bar and Grill, up by the competition channel.

The additional mileage comes from a new trail they just opened up.

consistent default champ
    The web page on Charlotte Mountain bike says it will be marked two weeks in advance. oh well.
    I'll go out and ride it all ~ I know where my weakness are

mtbr member
    I signed up today. Now the rest of you guys have to fight it out for next to last

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The course is pretty much marked as we will be using all of the trails at the park. You should not get lost, just ride the whole 12 mile loop.

Cheers
    Neal

mtbr member
    You should break it up with a few runs through the whitewater course after 2 laps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Food?

Is the food/beer after the race free to racers ( part of the entry fee) or extra?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It is FREE to all race participants.

We will have a big assortment of finger foods. The restaurant will also be open and there will be live music outside. Also, the center has shower facilities for everyone.

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by NBOYD
    It is FREE to all race participants.

We will have a big assortment of finger foods. The restaurant will also be open and there will be live music outside. Also, the center has shower facilities for everyone.
    Neal,
    Thanks for the updates and info. Thank you also for monitoring your posts here, SORBA, and on the THTB page. It makes a huge difference when RD's do that to help convey info to out of towners.

See ya next week!

~Charles
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    If we don't have any relatives that are interested in sitting in the heat for the pleasure of watching us ride by every hour or 2, will there be a place we can set up a small pit area for personal stuff we might want without going back to the car?

consistent default champ
    There was a pit area right along the last stretch before the start/lap/finish line last year. You could drive down, set down your stuff and then go park in the main lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We will have spots that run along the course, just before the finish, where race participants can set up pit areas. You'll just need to be there early and drive down around the water. You can drop you pit stuff off....tent, bottles, chairs, food, etc and then go park in the parking lot. You'll need to drive around the back of the restaurant, following the gravel road around to the staging area. The staging area is located by the lower pond. As you enter the USNWC, drive to your right and look for the driveway that takes you behind the restaurant and the zip line.

www.usnwc.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here's the event T-shirt. Pretty cool shirt.

mtbr member
    Weather report says 50% chance of rain on Friday, 40% on Saturday. Is the race going to happen rain or shine? I know they seem to close the trails at the Whitewater Center at the first sign of rain....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good question

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm waiting to hear if the event is rain or shine,

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah, I'll race in the rain , no problem, I'm just waiting to find out if they are going to call it, my gut tells me they will call it / postpone it with all the rain coming, if it is rain or shine I am in

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I do, but I have the pisgah mtb stage race

consistent default champ
    It would not be my first race in the rain and mud but it would be the longest in those conditions. Let the anti-rain dancing begin! Three weekends next month are already busy for me. Guess I could tell the family I've got more important plans or pull my daughter in a bike trailer behind me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast