mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Why no trails near Boone??

I cannot believe that all the best trails in North Carolina are in Pisgah. I dont mind making the 45 + minute drive to Pisgah or to Dark Mountain in Wilkesboro, but why are there not any good trails closer to Boone??

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    and if there are some trails in Boone I dont know about, where are they?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    There are trails smack in Boone......or at least there used to be back when I was in college up there in the mid 90's. I am sure the State Farm loop and the Broyhill run still exist. Also just as when I was there I am sure there are a dozen ghetto runs that locals have built and maintain. Best bet would be to buddy up with the dudes at Magic Cycles and see what you can learn. There are ALWAYS secret trails that are not public knowledge...........nobody is going to post information about such trails on a forum.

mtbr member
    True dat Zod. Like Zod mentioned, your best bet would be to hook up with some locals at Magic Cycles or Boone Bike & Touring. I lived in Boone for just over 5 years, moved there just so I could be closer to the slopes for snowboarding. Just remember any trails that are shown to you are kinda "hush, hush," so don't relay any info over the WWW, if you do, make sure that you do not post the info about the trail or where it is located.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member

ohh..

I have about 3 hrs worth of trails, riding right out of my back door over at #$%^&&**
    and i live near^&* which is close to Asheville on the east side of town..
    Seriously though, isnt the Wilson Creek area considered Boone trails for the locals up there..

mtbr member
    Man, Thad, that riding over by #$%^&&** isn't bad at all, is it?
    Made me laugh, how you posted it...
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thadthetroll
    I have about 3 hrs worth of trails, riding right out of my back door over at #$%^&&**
    and i live near^&* which is close to Asheville on the east side of town..
    Seriously though, isnt the Wilson Creek area considered Boone trails for the locals up there..
    That is great, just about spit my coffee all over my screen. Touche Thad
    Last edited by mb3designs; 11-30-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Are you a student at ASU? If so, finding someone to show you around should be fairly easy. Like Thad mentioned, Wilson's Creek is a fairly short drive from downtown Boone. Make sure that if you go to Wilson's have someone with you that knows the trail system, very easy to get lost if you are not familiar with that area. Don't know if you are into freeriding or not, but there are a ton of places on ASU's campus that we used to "shred" on a daily basis.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    r there any trails on howards knob or is this one of those don't talk about trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SB173Koach
    r there any trails on howards knob or is this one of those don't talk about trails
    Hum, not sure on that one. When I lived there it was closed to bikes year round I think. Rode there only one time with a friend and a guy from the forest service told us to get the F**K out of there. Guess we had it coming.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Probably nothing on Howards Knob....when I was at App State the whole "Save Howards Knob" thing was going on and it was private property.....now it's "protected" County Park. Most of the knob is pretty damn sheer though.....too much so for trail.

I agree that Wilsons is his best bet BUT that is really outside of Boone and he was asking about trails in Boone. Most of the people that ride Wilsons like to keep its trails and routes hush-hush as well eventhough it is a bunch of Federal trail......so you'll still need to hook up with some knowledgeble locals to be your guide. It's not a trail system to try to figure out on your own because you will most likely get lost and it is definitely not a good place to roll solo because wrecks and mechanicals are part of that ride.

mtbr member
    I would consider China Creek to be "in Boone," or at least Blowing Rock, and it's a fun trail easy to find. Short, fun-tech downhill off the parkway, turn around and come back up. Much better idea, however, to figure out who's there to show all of Wilson's- no cycling team, club at ASU?? I've also ridden some trails that I don't know if were bandit or not but were fun right in town, so really, ask around...
    Mike

mtb wanderer
    Dec 2006
    i used to ride up from town to the firetower area (good climb), some good rough riding up there scattered around---dont know about any 'hush hush' trails but im sure they are out there...
    broyhill and state farm are always good rides if you dont have all day. . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks a bunch everybody. I have met a couple people recently that have been willing to take me around Wilson's creek. I know about the China Creek trail because I climb, and it goes right past Blowing Rock Boulders. I know about alot of the trails that go down there to the globe but it is kind of a pain to organize shuttles and stuff like that sometimes. Thanks for the replies though, and yes, I "shred" campus.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    There are goodies here and there but the aforementioned shuttles and wilsons creek are definitely your best bet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yuiruprup
    Thanks a bunch everybody. I have met a couple people recently that have been willing to take me around Wilson's creek. I know about the China Creek trail because I climb, and it goes right past Blowing Rock Boulders. I know about alot of the trails that go down there to the globe but it is kind of a pain to organize shuttles and stuff like that sometimes. Thanks for the replies though, and yes, I "shred" campus.
    what kinda bike do you ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    I would consider China Creek to be "in Boone," or at least Blowing Rock, and it's a fun trail easy to find....
    Mike
    What is the current status of these trails?

Last time I rode China Creek was in the late 80's (Full Rigid AL Cannondale with 3x6 biopace Rings... OUCH!!!). In the day, you'd decend from Tiajuana Fats in Blowing Rock, but then there was also a really fun loop at the bottom with some challenging creek crossings and logs and what-not. For some reason, I was under the impression that this whole system was "gone".

I remember doing a ride with a campus group once (organized ASU event) that started at "the castle" up on the parkway, and mostly followed fire-roads all the way down to Lenior. Back in the day, this was a HUGE ride for me. Then they shuttled us back up and home.

BTW: I still have the old cannondale, although the Farmer John's and Farmer John's Cousins are probably flat
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    What is the current status of these trails?
    They're running awesome right now. Lots of trail maintenance has been going on lately, but don't tell anyone that.