mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Who's a XC Rider running a 1x10 Set up?

Thinking about taking my Niner to a 1x10 setup. Currently running a SRAM X-9 2x10 set up. Love the simplicity and thought of this but wondering if a XC rider who does a lot of distance in Dupont/Pisgah/Bent Creek would be making a smart move with all the climbing. Thoughts on a 32T Chainring with a 11-36 cassette? Who's running what? What are your gripes!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, I'm running a 32t chainring with 11 or 12-36 cassette on my 28 pound 650b. I like it, but I'm not in good enough shape to do the long Pisgah grinder climbs without getting off now and then. Bent Creek and Dupont aren't much of a problem, though. I love the simplicity and the weight savings. I could really use one more gear, I guess like the new XX1... Maybe a 30t chainring. I might try a 30t ring in the not-so-distant future. If you're in better shape than me, you might get away with it on a 29er, but I hope you have light wheels!
    Last edited by mountainbiker24; 07-30-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Rogue Exterminator
    I run 3x10 but rarely shift out of the middle chain ring (which is a 32) so I could very easily go 1x10 and be happy. Probably will eventually but just too lazy to do it right now.

That being said, I suppose only you know the real answer to the question.
    Do you use your granny gear?
    If you do, could you live without it?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I am running a 32 X 12-36 on my SIR9 full rigid . When I am riding often and in shape, there isn't much that I can't climb. After 3 months of straight rain and very little riding? I wish for a granny gear more often than I care to admit.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just switched to 1x9, first ride (bent creek) was this morning, loved it. Only walked one climb, because I spun out 1/2 way up and couldn't get started again, was getting burnt out near the end. I'm in OK shape, not great.

Also went tubeless at the same time, that helped a lot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I run 1X9 setup on both my rigs and would do it again, even mores so with a 1X10 or 1X11. But if you are like me and want to save on cost and weight, this is a great option. Since my largest cog on 9spd is 34t, I am using smaller chain ring up front, either 30t or 28t. I'd say go ahead and do it. If you find you need another step in granny gear, go with a smaller chain ring up front. It's a very individual thing based on your fitness level. Just keep in mind you will be taking away some of the smallest gear ratio for fast riding with a smaller chain ring.

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have been running 1x10 for a while and really like it. I started with a 34 up front but switched a few months ago to a 36 to get a little more top end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    c'mon now. what'chew scared of? i've been running a 34t up front on my 33# fs bike with those unfashionable little wheels that don't roll over anything, with an 11x34 in back, for years. finally switched to 11-36 1x10 and thought i'd died and gone to heaven. and yes, in pisgah and wilsons. and i ain't in no xc racerboi shape.

DEW IT.

mtbr member
    1x10 with XX1 30t crank and 11-36 cassette. I rode the stock 32t for a few months but it was not quite enough for a few of the Pisgah climbs. The 30t ring works great for me and I'm 152 with a 21lb hard tail 29er. It also worked fine on my old 26lb epic fs 29er.

mtbr member
    I run 1x9 on my Santa Cruz Butcher (32 front 11x34 rear) and on my Niner Air 9 (28 front 11x34 rear) and I love it. Actually looking to bump my Niner front ring to a 32 or even 34. I have had no problem getting up stuff in Dupont/Pisgah/Bent Creek. Even rode the ORAMM course and enjoyed it. FYI I also ride a Single Speed Karate Monkey with 34/21 gearing all around Paris Mountain, Dupont, and Bent Creek, but epics in Pisgah require a few gears for me.

Do it! and go to a short cage rear derailleur - very little chain slap and quick shifts!
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well I made the switch. Went with North Short Billet (BB30 Specific) bolt on 32T Chain Ring. Per Niner I can't go any larger than a 32T because of clearance with the chain stays. Also added a X0 type 2 clutch rear derailleur, according to NSB they said they've had really good success with no chain guide if you have the clutch type rear D. Taking it out for first spin tonight at Croft State Park. Not to bad for around $320 invested vs. $1200 for full XX1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's a XC Rider running a 1x10 Set up?-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    I think the advent of the new narrow/wide chain ring tooth designs as well as clutch derailleurs has made the 1X set ups a lot more digestible for me. I always scoffed at 1X setups because I thought the chain guide looks like a front derailleur that doesn't do a damn thing. TBH the only reason I even bothered with a 1X system was because I had tight clearances on my bike with a 2X crank set up. I'm running a Raceface NW chain ring 32X11/36 shimano cassette with a Shadow+ RD. So far I have to say I love it with the only obvious drawback of losing low gearing. I haven't done a long Pisgah ride yet so I'm sure I'll be screaming a bit on the steeps!
    My one says BRAP!