mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Where are the trails at Richmond Hill Park in Asheville?

I visited Richmond Hill Park today, under the impression that there were miles of trails, but all I could find was a frisbee-golf course. There wasn't any trail information anywhere and I haven't been able to find a map or anything online. I'd just like to know where in relation to the entrance of the parking lot I have to look to find the start of the trails.

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When you pull into the parking area look to the left and go through the mulch. There is a little wooden bill board thing and the trails start there. Or you can cut in behind the armory.

mtbr member
    There is a wooden kiosk with trail information behind the giant pile of mulch. I need to ask PAS to buy a new trail sign for the parking lot, I guess; the previous two, one paid for by PAS and one by me, have been stolen. I have also asked the city to dump the mulch somewhere else; this hasn't happened yet. Come to think of it, I'll probably start by asking the city to purchase a sign, can't hurt.

I do apologize for the lack of good signage and the giant pile of mulch; I will try to put up a temporary sign.

I can send you a crappy map, but there is no good map yet. Trails are blazed and directions are posted on the kiosk. Producing a good map is 1) beyond my technical ability and 2) kind of fruitless d/t a still pending re-route. This re-route is STILL pending for reasons entirely too complicated for me to describe right here right now.

There are 3.5 miles of official trail and about another mile or so that is open to exploring. Trails are fun in all directions, however; when I focus on it, I can ride for about 6-7 miles without having to repeat any directional flow and still have a lot of fun. Trails are in about the best possible shape except some giant lingering mudholes that will likely be addressed at an upcoming boy scout work day.

Edit: Here's a google map link showing the exact-ish location of the trailhead in relation to the parking lot. As you can see, the trails are not embedded; the trail density is too high to not look like it overlaps when put into google maps (at least by me).
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Richm...28806&t=h&z=17
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 09-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm continually stoked on how much you've been able to squeeze into such a small footprint.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

Rogue Exterminator
    I just heard about these the other day.
    I must go check them out.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post

Edit: Here's a google map link showing the exact-ish location of the trailhead in relation to the parking lot. As you can see, the trails are not embedded; the trail density is too high to not look like it overlaps when put into google maps (at least by me).
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Try again with the link please .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Try again with the link please .
    Should be fixed, here it is again.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Richm...28806&t=h&z=17

Rogue Exterminator
    Thanks

banned
    Aug 2013
    Thanks Mike always wanted to know the exact location.

Rogue Exterminator
    BTW, what are the trails like?

I have a pretty good shoulder injury(s) due to several crashes on the left side (I have not learned to crash on the right side yet). I just can't do a lot technical/rough stuff right now. I need a little more flow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks! I'll probably check it out within the next few days.

mtbr member
    The trails are very tight You steer more per mile than any trail at Bent Creek and most Pisgah trails. There are also a few technical places including one very challenging switch back, steep side-slope through tight trees over roots and rocks, and two tricky creek crossings. That said, you're never going that fast because of all the turning and can always stop and figure out what you want and don't want to ride.

Poison ivy is abundant. I'm super sensitive and recommend showering with Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap after. Don't know why, but works for me and other people who have tried it. It's way cheaper than the products like Technu or Zanfel; I've used all those and if you follow the directions they work too.

I rode all the trails tonight and it's super-good conditions except for some mudholes that will be worked on this weekend and two downed trees, which will also be removed this weekend. The trees are from within the past 6 days; I spend a lot of time cutting out downed trees.

Man, that is one long trail conditions report.

Rogue Exterminator
    Sounds similar to Green River Game Lands.
    Lots of tight turns, a few tech sections, nothing real fast, lots of downed trees and lots of poison ivy. lol

I cut a lot of trees out a few weeks ago with a buddy but a chainsaw is needed for the rest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Producing a good map is 1) beyond my technical ability and 2) kind of fruitless d/t a still pending re-route. This re-route is STILL pending for reasons entirely too complicated for me to describe right here right now.
    I've got all the trails gps'd and was just waiting on the re-route to release the map But when that happens you'll be able to use the final product however you'd like. If you'd like, I'll be glad to let you look over it for correctness and make suggestions on style (terrain? contours? etc.) for a print-ready version, and then send you a PDF.

mtbr member
    Thanks a million, Jordan. Send me what you got at mikemtnbike@gmail.com