mtbr member
    May 2010

Where to stay near Pisgah Forest?

I'm headed to the area in mid June with a group of 5-6 guys to ride. I am aware of Davidson River campground but as of today there are only two campsites available for reservations and I'm guessing those will get booked before I can get everyone commmitted to the same weekend. I was told they have walk up sites but I don't want to risk driving from Raleigh and not having a place to stay when we get there. Last year we stayed at Black Forest Campground and spent the whole weekend riding Dupont, but I'd like to find something closer to Mills River or Pisgah. Any suggestions? I have been checking on VRBOŽ is Vacation Rentals By Owner and found a few places but they tend to be a little too nice, clean, or expensive for me and my mountain bikin friends.

Big Mac

Mills River has a campground, as does Bent Creek. Lots of free camping in PNF also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like the campground in Bent Creek. Have always had a good experience there. Just don't set your tent up off the pad because they will ake you take it down.

mtbr member
    BC campground is OK at best and considering all the better options there's really no point staying there. The "beach" is disgusting.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by d0nch3ad1e View Post
    BC campground is OK at best and considering all the better options there's really no point staying there. The "beach" is disgusting.
    Bent Creek campground is fine. Not sure what you're talking about. It's a great option for folks wanting to ride BC and north and south mills river. All can be ridden from your site. Plus it's real close to Asheville. What are all the "better" options you speak of? And what's wrong with the beach? You step in poop or something?

mtbr member
    Yeah...you pretty much nailed it....I do prefer do not avoid goose crap and the idiots feeding the geese when I go to a "beach".

Davidson River, N Mills River, and Cascade Lake are all superior facilities and closer to better riding.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by d0nch3ad1e View Post
    Yeah...you pretty much nailed it....I do prefer do not avoid goose crap and the idiots feeding the geese when I go to a "beach".

Davidson River, N Mills River, and Cascade Lake are all superior facilities and closer to better riding.
    If you want the "the beach" you should go to the outer banks, not the mountains. North mills cg has no showers. How is that better. DR is nice, but horribly uptight. Cascade lake is neither here nor there. And "closer to better riding"? Meh, you can ride to pretty much anywhere from BC. Especially when the BRP is closed.