Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where to go on an MTB vacation in NC / blue ridge / smokey

I know the "hot" spots for riding my sport bike (Deal's gap, blue ridge parkway, etc.) .. Now I want to take my vacation with my MTB vs the sport bike...coming from FL, I want some nice and real mountain bike riding...

Also, maybe something like this.. Where would this be?
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

thecentralscrutinizer
    That's not NC. If I had to guess, I'd say Europe somewhere. For your vacation you probably want to stick to the western part of the state.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Philosophizer
    Tsali rocks,go there!
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
    Tsali rocks,go there!

"Tsali"..... and that is where?.........
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

Philosophizer
    On lake Fontana, close to Sylva.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pisgah, Pisgah, Pisgah and oh Dupont too. Then take a ride at Bent Creek. Did I mention Pisgah?

Philosophizer
    Those places suck..........Tsali rocks!

Freeride Pabstist Church
    Jan 2006
    The photo looks to be the 401 trail near Crested Butte, CO. That's a damn fine ride if I do say so. (and I do)

pb

Really? Well I guess if you are into easier riding you may feel that way. I've ridden Tsali and though it is fun and a great trail system, it is not near the challenge that Pisgah has to offer. Tsali was way too easy of a ride by comparison.

Maybe as your skills improve you may come to appreciate Pisgah.

mtbr member

Me thinks "66" has sarcasmism

and does spread misinformation to those that ride the dragon......

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    PROFESSIONAL THREAD KILLER!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maybe I will just start hanging out in the "Recycle Bin" forum.

Big Mac

yer kool!!!

not!! attempts at being contrary are so 1990's. Get over it. Share.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Skip this

Official Cooler Inspector
    emmaus28: You've been reading MTBr long enough to remember the "Pisgah Sucks" campaign. Never gained much punch though - you toursists just keep coming.

See you in a few weeks.

pronounced may-duh
    I just got back from a weekend camping at Tsali and it did rock! Sure there are no long climbs and therefore no long downhills. It's crowded with riders and if you go against the flow of traffic you better watch out for a head on collision. Also it was very muddy. Whats up with all the mud puddles? Can't they get rid of those? But I had a blast riding. It's tight fast single track. The scenery is first rate. I connected the right and left loops and made 20 miles of uninterupted single track. Sure Pisgah is more chalenging and epic but Tsali was a whole lot of fun.

Philosophizer
    You guys are getting more fun than the ridemonkey crowd.Some of you guys need to take some humor pills. Emmaus28, I hope to have the skills one day to do more than stand in the hatchery parking lot wish...........
    Last edited by mtnbiker66; 08-17-2006 at 04:01 AM.

I still do not get the joke, but if this was all in humor so be it. I guess I'm just not that quick at such things.
    A person comes on the board looking for some advice on where to ride, and I gave my opinion on where to go. It was followed up with you coming on and saying that my opinion sucks.....Oh I get it now! Ha Ha Ha! That was hillarious. Yeah right.

M-U-M, I don't recall the Pisgah Sucks campaign. And there in lies my ignorance I suppose. Maybe you will be able to educate me around the table with a few beers come October.

My regrets to you 66 for my lack of humor and understanding. It's all so clear to me now.
    By the way, I like your reference of standing in the hatchery parking lot. I gotta know though, how'd you know that I do that?

Did a "Pisgah Sucks" search on the forum, here's what I've found so far....

mtnbiker66
    Philosophizer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ldetting
    I'm heading down to NWC from Wisconsin on spring break to do some camping and biking. I've read about Tsali, any other good single track trails in that general area? What about camping around that area, any recommendations?

I know I'll get railed for this but Tsali sucks. If your gonna come from the frozen north to ride, ride Pisgah.Tsali is o.k. if you like smooth simple single track but for more trails and more tech. riding go to Pisgah.Dupont is in the same area so you can check that out too.

I'm starting to get the picture.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Maida7] It's crowded with riders and if you go against the flow of traffic you better watch out for a head on collision. Also it was very muddy. Whats up with all the mud puddles? Can't they get rid of those? QUOTE]

Tsali = very crowded weekends. If you ride Tsali ride on a weekday if at all possible. Otherwise be prepared to go slow or pass everyone. Otherwise it rocks. There are a lot of puddles but I think they add flair and we all know that 15 pieces of flair just ain't going the extra mile.

Dupont is sweeeet. However you have to sit down and STUDY the map before you go out there. There are a TON of intersections and if you don't know the flow you will just scratch your head staring at the map all day. So just make a route and make up a "cheat sheet" to go off of. Find a guide post what kind of rider you are and someone will most likely respond to show you around.

Pisgah is great but it takes a different type of riding into consideration. Many times the best "loops" incorporate long gravel climbs. I love it but some people are single track hounds and don't like the epic scenery and mountains. . . Sure you can make it all single track if you want but you better be prepared.

There is a ton of great info on here just look for it.

thecentralscrutinizer
    [SIZE="5"]Pisgah sucks!!!![/SIZE] When did that happen???
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    OP- a lot of advice has been given in the past to others. Scroll down through the forum and you will find way more info than you could possibly use.
    Mike

mtbr member

All WNC Sucks!!!

..of course we may just be saying that to keep the trails clear :P

There are some good shops in the area that would be a valuable resource for you.
    Near Tsali (extreme WNC near Bryson City) there is Nantahala Outdoor who also does rafting trips throughout the area.

I haven't personally dealt with any of the shops near Pisgah, but I'm sure some of the other guys here can steer you to good ones.

Asheville has Bent Creek, which is kinda my backyard, and there's plenty of any kind of riding (sans North Shore—it is run by the Forestry Service after all) you could want. My personal shop is ProBikes in West Asheville, though the guys at Carolina Fatz are pretty helpful too (and I think they have a group ride from the shop on Thursdays maybe?). Trails you shouldn't miss include Greenslick (which is rearely crowded thanks to a requisite 6 mile climb) and Lower Sidehill (best if ridden from Bent Creek Gap to Laurel Gap Rd and only access is a couple mile fire road climb, the last 200 yard of which feel straighth up at times.). Both are newly remodeled—for the better—and ridable even in the worst weather thanks to excellent runoff pitching. (Thank you Woody and crew)

Check out a map of Bent Creek here (thanks to Jordan Mitchell who I've never met but who must be a great guy.) You can thank him yourself here.

Additional Asheville shop info: Some guys have had good luck with the guys @ Liberty Bikes (ask for either of the Mikes, or Jennings) and Bio Wheels (ask for Eric). Liberty is in South Asheville where the Parkway crosses Hendersonville Hwy, Biowheels is Downtown. There's a new shop on the North Side near downtown. I think it's called Youngbloods. I don't know them well, but the guy I did meet there was easy to deal with. Farther out is SkiCountry which used to sell K2s and Konas, but I haven't been there in a while. Don't know anyone anymore in Hearns (also downtown), but if Rocky is still there, avoid. nuff said.

Honestly, there is so much good singletrack here that it's an embarrassment of riches. I grew up here and have been riding it (hard) since I moved back on 95.. I have yet to get bored. Have a great time. Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Edit: Forgot to mention mtbikewnc.com. While the trail info isn't always up-to-date, and some of the images are mislinked/mislabeled, it'll give you a goood idea of the variety of riding in the area.
    DirtyBike
    Last edited by xxxbike; 08-17-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Philosophizer
    Heck Emmaus, I just really need help. I hope you can forgive me. Tell me more about the hatchery parking lot. Did I hit on something? Did I get your underwear in a bunch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxbike
    Edit: Forgot to mention mtbikewnc.com. While the trail info isn't always up-to-date, and some of the images are mislinked/mislabeled, it'll give you a goood idea of the variety of riding in the area.
    DirtyBike
    Thanks for the plug! If you find any out of date trail info, mislabels, bad links, etc...could you send me a note with those? I'd like to get 'em all fixed and up to date, but sometimes they still slip through...

Thanks!

Heck Emmaus, I just really need help. I hope you can forgive me. Tell me more about the hatchery parking lot. Did I hit on something? Did I get your underwear in a bunch?
    Nothing to forgive....and no you didn't get my undies in a bunch. I was kidding. Humor just does not translate well on these boards. You joke..I joke..but nobody gets the joke.

Just can't wait, only a few more weeks and I will be down there ridin the trails again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast