mtbr member

Wheelbuilder Recommendations (Greenville area)

Hoping to find a good local builder in the Greenville area and maybe up to Asheville if it's a really good price to build me a new rear wheel. Thought about doing it myself but after buying the nipple drivers and spoke tension meters etc I could just pay someone the same amount and get someone that knows what they're doing. Recommendations would be appreciated (or even places to avoid if you've had bad luck).

Official Cooler Inspector
    Have not had a personal wheel experience, but know people who feel he does a mighty fine job. I just like the pictures.... Location might be opposite of what you were looking for?

No*Gas Wheels -- HOME

WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

mtbr member
    I've said it before and I'll say it every time somebody asks; nobody in our area has more experience with wheel building than Andy at ChainHeart Cycling Studio. If you what you want is an expertly hand-built mtb wheel, he is the man.
    Closer to your home, both Sycamore and The Hub in Brevard have good rep's.
    Greenville itself- somebody else will have to have an opinion.

mtbr member
    Kipp Smith at Lucky Bike can build you a nice wheelset in Greenville. He has built (and destroyed) a few.

mtbr member
    Tad at Sunrift would be another good one . . . he just laced up a set of I-9's with Flow's for me . . . couldn't be happier!!

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks. Strangely enough I didn't even know lucky bike was there and I must drive past it going to paris mountain all the time. n2dsky do you happen to remember what Sunrift ran as far as labor/spokes for the build? And did you have the shop order the hub/rim or find good deals yourself. Was going to get a Hadley/Flow rear and hadley prices have 100$ spread online.

mtbr member
    We're blessed with so many great folks here in the Upstate . . . wheel builders, bike techs . . . trail builders and supporters . . . hard to go wrong with any of them . . .

I won the hubs at the Upstate SORBA Cranksgiving Paris Mountain downhill race and found a deal on the Flows . . .

Give Tad at Sunrift call and discuss what you need . . . I'm sure he'll find a way to work with you . . .

I couldn't be happier about how my wheels turned out!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'll second No*Gas Wheels -- HOME . . . and know many in the region who would as well. Drop Calvin a line if you're still looking. It's not that far, and he'll do you right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love my No Gas wheels! They get my personal seal of approval.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Dave at Ride-On in Anderson is great! He builds wheels all the time and does a fantastic job.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Nogas does the best rim jobs in the area

mtbr member
    That's a mighty fancy seal you have there. I've got the hub in the mail and I'll be calling up all these shops this week. Just be nice to have a wheel i don't have to re-true after every long ride.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    NoGas wheels....no brainer! I've been running wheels built by Calvin for 10 years now and would never buy a pre-made or custom from anywhere else. His website kicks nuts also. FYI.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    if you dont like abt12 the best he will put hot dogs in your rims

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    if you dont like abt12 the best he will put hot dogs in your rims
    know this

mtbr member
    Hehe are we talking abt 12 beer? If thats the case I can maybe bribe him with some aged abt 12.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Look up Tim Barrett on "Ride Smooth Brother" face book site. Good dude that does good work and won't brake your pocket like most lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Hehe are we talking abt 12 beer? If thats the case I can maybe bribe him with some aged abt 12.
    Yes and yes. You and Tiles are gonna get on just fine...