mtbr member
    Mar 2011

What trails to ride on days like today?

I don't think it really poured the rain last night so tonight might be OK to ride...I was thinking DuPont. Any suggestions for minimal trail damage routes between 10-15 miles or too wet to ride?

I'm still adjusting to the way the soil was in Iowa, if it rained half an inch like last night the trails would close for a few days, especially during this time of year. For the amount of rain we got last night can you pretty much ride anywhere or are there specific areas to avoid? I was thinking the south eastern side of DuPont has been the worst for being muddy that I've noticed. Burnt/Cedar/Big Rock might be OK? I just don't like damaging the trails.

mtbr member
    Just stay of the clay based trails (like most of the trails near Fawn Lake) and ride consciously.

Oh, and you should plan on hitting a few workdays throughout the year to help out.

If you see standing water kick the drain out if possible. Fix what you mess up. Out and backs are good so you can see if you need you repair your tread.

This time of year its usually better to ride the rain versus the thaw.

At least your riding. Have fun.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Keep in mind everything was already muddy yesterday from thaw. I generally stick to the old school steep stuff in questionable conditions, since you really won't be messing anything up anyway. If I absolutely had to get out today, I would do an out and back on pilot rock...you won't be hurting that trail. Most of corn mill shoals area will probably be fine, beware of lingering ice though, there was a lot of it out there yesterday.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a quick walk with dogs in Bent Creek and it was a sloppy mess. The fire roads are just oozing water from the thaw and this mornings rain. Even the super compacted road bed that is Explore loop was a slop fest. Yet a stream of cars and bikes were pouring in to take advantage of the warm weather as well as to get a ride in before tomorrows rain event.

As mentioned above please choose your trails wisely.

mtbr member
    Ride gravel, it's a great way to learn the big-picture of the forest and you're still in the woods. Gravel most often follows water and it's a great way to find new places to explore on foot when you have a mind to do some hiking.
    many gears, some pies

Rogue Exterminator
    If you are wanting to ride at DuPont, ride the stuff at the Cornmill Shoals lot (Cedar Rock, Big Rock, Wilkie, Micaja, Long Side, Pine Tree, Burnt Mtn, etc) or ride the stuff over at the Lake Imaging side (Jim Branch, Isaac Heath, Locust, Hill Top, Hooker Creek, Ridgeline, etc)

Stay off Reasonver, Mine Mountain and Airstrip.

There are a few other good trails and ones to avoid but those are the main ones.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Decided against it after doing some errands by bike in the mist/rain this evening. Pretty nasty out. Appreciate the suggestions and the ideas on where to ride when the weather isn't ideal though. Will keep it in mind for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This graphic says it all (borrowed off Facebook).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What trails to ride on days like today?-trail-conditions.jpg  

drunken pirate
    I don't ride trails on days like today.

If I had to ride trails today I would pick Pilot Rock because it is really rocky or Flat Laurel Creek because it is really high. Or Summey Cove because it is being closed, or Bear Branch because it is becoming a logging road.

Your best bet this time of year is to ride when the ground is still frozen. Perfect traction.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    This graphic says it all (borrowed off Facebook).

Yep bentcreek and dupont will be overflowing tomorrow.Respect has nothing to do with it.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch on 1206 View Post
    Yep bentcreek and dupont will be overflowing tomorrow.Respect has nothing to do with it.
    For some
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

Re: What trails to ride on days like today?

I may have to see if my road bike still works tomorrow. Massive rains and flooding here in Spartanburg the last couple of days.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: What trails to ride on days like today?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I may have to see if my road bike still works tomorrow. Massive rains and flooding here in Spartanburg the last couple of days.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Yup. Looks like a ride up to the parkway is in order tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Went for a trail run today at BC, and ended up running mostly gravel. The trails are sloppy muddy, and everyone and their brother were at BC mountain biking today.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rode pavement up to parkway. Probably saw 100 mountain bikes being shuttled up the mountain...no idea where folks were riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    Went for a trail run today at BC, and ended up running mostly gravel. The trails are sloppy muddy, and everyone and their brother were at BC mountain biking today.
    I was there today from Noon 'til about 3, poling along on my cripple sticks. Wolf Branch was wet where it always is but not really that bad. Met some guys coming off Ledford at the split, they were cursing the mud. No surprise, there.

Funny thing about Bent Creek: nowhere to park on a busy Sunday but the forest just seems to swallow up the people. You really don't ever feel crowded.

I used to obsess over tire tracks in wet clay but now I've come to realize that the tread doesn't really change much over the years from traffic; in dry weather it gets dusty and the grooves get beaten down, freeze-thaw heaves and settles. It's erosion that does the most damage.

Look at Wolf Branch as you climb up from the bridge. The 2 steep clay mounds are slippery (when wet) and heavily damaged from erosion up to and just past the jump but there are no deep ruts from traffic. Then as you climb toward the hairpin, the root networks, rocks and drainage fall off towards the creek keep the trail looking pretty much as it always has for years. Same for the next climb where the low wet area just as you turn left towards the roller keeps getting worse but the gravelly/rooty trail beyond remains OK.

Seems to me that weather is the real culprit along with well-intentioned "improvements" (I'm thinking of the East end of Powerline) that leave entirely bare treads of clay.

It doesn't take engineering and bridges to fix bare clay and clogged drains, it requires pick up truck loads of rock, some of that corduroy mat stuff and a buncha people with shovels. I'll bet if you parked some food trucks and static displays of bike and gear at RP and/or Hard Times and one of these big new breweries handed out coupons to folks, a lot of good trail work could get done.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE