mtbr member
    May 2012

What tire setup are you running on your 29er and why?

I ride mostly single track such as LNSP, Fisher Farm, and other local trails around the Statesville-Charlotte area with a few trips planned for DuPont and Pisgah in the next few months.
    I am looking at the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 for the front but unsure of the rear and looking for advice on both.

Thanks!

Rogue Exterminator
    Maxis Exiwolf on my full suspension because I found a guy selling a brand new set for cheap.

Kenda Honey Badgers on my single speed because I heard good things about them.

I like both just fine.

Both do well in DuPont and for what I have seen in Charlotte so far they will be fine there too.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I live and ride in the same area and I am currently running a Rocket Ron (F) and Racing Ralph (R). These have worked great for me. Once these wear out I'm going to go for Ardent race (F) 2.2 Ikon (R). Recently road a bike in DuPont with this combo and really liked the performance and traction from the Ikon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would just buy whatever is cheaper or on sale. Its stupid how much tires cost these days.

If the majority of your riding is at LKNSP, fisher, or other Charlotte trails you can get by with almost anything. I used to ride my cross bike at LKNSP with 32c small block 8's. I dont think you need a super aggressive, durable tire.

If your riding alot in the mountains or other rocky, technical areas where a torn sidewall is a high possibility, look into getting a tougher tire.

In my experience, tread pattern doesnt really matter unless its wet or your really hauling the mail.

Ardent 2.25s EXO TR here. Last years model on sale for $30 a piece!

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ardent/Ikon is a popular combo here. (The Ardent is my favorite front tire ever.)

Right now, I run a Captain/Fast Trak or Fast Trak/Fast Trak, depending on how dry it is.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh, and kjlued's nickname is either 'crash' or 'save,' depending on the week, so you might not want those exiwolfs

(j/k....they're a fine tire.)

Rogue Exterminator
    I was on the single speed the day I made the amazing save. It has the Honey Badgers.

Anyways, I never blame the tires in my crashes....well, maybe the Tsali crash but I had Aspens then and they are a blamable tire. lol

Was out visiting Charlotte this weekend and rode White Water Center and Lake Norman and pretty much any tire will do the job out there. Even the Aspens. For a visit to DuPont, just buy a tire for what you normally ride and it will do fine for a visit out here.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I run an Ignitor up front and a Crossmark out back. In my experience the Crossmark does surprisingly well at low pressure (27ish psi).
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I run all kinds of tires. They all work fine imho.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    is there more than one ardent 29x2.4? I want something tubeless ready!

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cburgin View Post
    is there more than one ardent 29x2.4? I want something tubeless ready!
    The Ardent I use tubeless isn't one of their "tubeless ready" but has been one of the most easily mounted/sealed/etc. tubeless tires I've ever used. Took 24-36 hours to get airtight, but has been rock solid ever since. Ymmv.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    High Roller in the front. Ardent on the rear. So far I like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I second the Ardent front Ikon rear story...

mtbr member
    29" HT w/100m fork - Ardent 2.4F / Ardent 2.25R

29" 140mm DS - Highroller 2.3F / Highroller 2.3R

But for ORAMM and SWANK, etc... I use Ikon / Ikon or Ardent / Ikon

mtbr member
    Racing Ralph 2.35 TL Snake Skin up front, Ikon 2.2 TLR EXO rear, why, because they're light enough, tough enough and fast enough for racing.

Hans Dampf 2.35 TLR front, Nobby Nik 2.2 TLR rear, why? Because they both do better with lower PSI for fun trail riding and aggressive rocky terrain.

I laugh at the notion of tire choice not being important. I'm pretty stubborn about only using tubeless ready tires, however I will echo that an Ardent 2.4 EXO has always mounted and held air really nicely for me. I still prefer the Hans Dampf by a long shot for "I don't care about weight" days.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hardtail with 140 fork, Minion DHF 2.5 front and Specialized Butcher rear. Longer races have been Ardent 2.4 and Ardent 2.4 or IKON.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hardtail SS. 2.35 Ikon Front (non-exo) / 2.2 Ikon Rear (exo)

Coming off a 2.4 Ardent Front. I like the Ikon MUCH more. Lighter, faster rolling, and to me a more predictable cornering tire. I was very impressed in it's handling of wet rocks and roots which Ididn't expect it to do that well in.

Carbon8er
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front

Maxxis Crossmark on the rear
    Have also had an Icon on the rear and that's was a good rear tire

That combo works excellent in Pisgah Here
    The Ardent grabs the wet roots and rocks and makes the front end stick great

I am riding a 29'er

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm currently running Hans Dampf 2.35 SS Pacestars front and rear.

I prefer bigger tires and the HDs are among the biggest without going 29+. The casing is very firm and works great at low pressure. They are heavy but they roll amazingly well for an aggressive 2.35. My only complaint is that they are not great at railing corners. The breakaway is very progressive so they won't dump you on the ground, but the point at which they break away is less than I would expect for an aggressive tire.

I recently swapped front wheels with my buddy for one ride and tried his Panaracer Rampage 2.35. It's much smaller than the HD 2.35. I found that it railed the corners better than the HD, although I didn't push it hard enough to find the limit. It rolled much slower though, and actually buzzed the handlebars on smooth hardpack.

What I am still waiting for is a true 2.5 or maybe even 2.6 29er tire.