mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What happened to 26 West in Asheville?

I've been looking for some good places to go DH riding here in the south east, and I saw some good reviews on mtbr for the 26 West bike park in Asheville, but it appears to have been closed down? Anyone know when and why that happened? Given that they were (i think) one of the only shuttle assist bike parks in the south I would be surprised if they were not getting enough business.

ohhman
    everyone started riding 29ers....

....and a handful of other reasons...

Too many haters to get much done around here... Hendersonville is getting some dirt jumps, though! and Dark Green Motorsports has had DH trails advertised on their signs... Beech and Sugar open a handful of weekends in-season, as well.

Rogue Exterminator
    Don't know why the place closed but I imagine it is harder to keep the doors open in a place where there is so many places to go biking for free.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarb View Post
    I've been looking for some good places to go DH riding here in the south east, and I saw some good reviews on mtbr for the 26 West bike park in Asheville, but it appears to have been closed down? Anyone know when and why that happened? Given that they were (i think) one of the only shuttle assist bike parks in the south I would be surprised if they were not getting enough business.
    Lift Access normally around or after late May

Sugar Mtn. is open on weekends but has limited trails and a slow lift.
    Beech Mtn. is open on Race weekends and is suppose to open weekends this year but not confirmed yet.
    Snowshoe, WV, fully operational DH mountain. Lots of trails and various terrain.

Shuttle Access, need to provide your own lift, year round

Windrock, Oliver Springs, Tn. - steep, tech, gnar. Not recommended for beginner
    TCC ( Trials Training Center) Sequatchie, Tn. I've never been but heard good things.

Might want to check out this site. There always seems to be something going on in your area.
    The South

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarb View Post
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The arrangement with the ski area was very complicated and there was fighting within the ownership of the ski hill. My guess is that is as much reason why Ryan decided to abort.

mtbr member
    The 26 West venture lasted for a few months...That was 4 or 5 years ago.