mtbr member

What to do in Charlotte?

Staying downtown Charlotte for work and have a day off over the weekend. I was thinking of trying to rent a bike and head out for a road or mtn bike ride. Never been to NC, so I'm asking for some help here! Is there any decent riding (probably road, I guess) starting downtown? I won't have a rental car.

Thanks!

Schmed
    Golden, CO

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    You could ride to one or two trails from downtown but the rest(and the best) you would want a car to get to.

drunken pirate
    I don't road bike (yet) but I do know that there is a very popular road route call the booty loop that is on the edge of uptown in the Myers Park area. It is probably pretty short but you could link up with Colony Rd. (it has bike lanes in several stretches) to add some distance and see more of the city. For rentals you might want to try Black Sheep Cycles or South Park Cycles. Hope that helps.

Get out of town!

for mtn biking

catawba (a great place that offers mountain biking trails and kayaking/whitewater rafting). either of those bike shops mentioned could hook you up with a bike. the shop at the whitewater center will eventually rent bikes but not until this fall.

also there is a race at renaissance park saturday morning at 10:00 so southpark cycles will be out there. maybe you can call them and arrange something? you can race whatever class for the fun of it, or just ride at your leisure

what size bike do you ride btw?
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input! I will look into all those options and possible bike rentals! I might check out that race, too.

(I ride an 18" Turner O2 now. My wife's 15" (?) Titus Riddler is also not too far from fitting).

Schmed

mtbr member
    Talked to Ethan from Black Sheep Cycles. He's going to hook me up w/ something!

Seems like a great shop! Thanks for the recommendation!!!!

Cool website, too:

http://www.blacksheepcycles.com/

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Ethan rocks....no doubt

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by schmed
    Talked to Ethan from Black Sheep Cycles. He's going to hook me up w/ something!

Seems like a great shop! Thanks for the recommendation!!!!

Cool website, too:

http://www.blacksheepcycles.com/
    AND he offers very tasty free coffee Great guy and very cool shop.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Category Winner

Btw

The buses have bike racks, so if you really want to you could take the bus to some of the local trails. Renni is real easy to get to from the uptown.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.