Heads up Flyboy!!

The West Pisgah Labor Day Ride

Off to see the lesser seen side of Pisgah.
    In the words of the immortal Jim Morrison "The West is the Best"
    Yup theres trails in the western edge of Pisgah and few ever get to see them. The group of 13 who said they were coming dwindled down to six. A more reasonable number. Don't know if the weather scared the rest of you away but here is a postview of what you missed. Our ride began at a little over 5900' with some of the highest elevation trails you can legally ride in Western North Carolina.

Some fool left this sweet Wily 29er for trash at the parking area. SingletrackPig decided it would be his ride for the day. Check out that baby stroller in the background, I was so itchin to break out the tow rope and let the guys pull me around for the day.

A out and back on the rocky Ivestor Gap trail began the day.

In the clouds

High Elevation riding for the NC at least

As Far as we get to go

The etheral mtns

Robert C challenging Flat Laurel Creek

By far one of my favorite trails Flat Laurel Creek is just good old rocky singletrack

Think I should take up fly Fishin. Flat Laurel Creek itself, taken as one of the guys flatted with the old school tubed tire.

A 45 MPH descent down Hwy 215 brings you to Sumney Cove, hidden off the road, this gem hardly ever sees much traffic. Either way you go though theres some hike a bike.

Wheres Waldo?

The flowing ribbon of dirt in a sea of green

The beauty of Courthouse Falls

Phil climbing up Kissee Creek. This completely legal piece of singletrack hardly ever sees any traffic in West Pisgah. Some people say they like to explore and others do it.

Welcome to Farlow Gap boys and girls. Please lower your seats and mentally prepare yourself for technical descending down steep short drops & wet, mossy rocks n roots. Oh and please try not to die in the process. Have a great day!

I freakin love this trail

Yea I know everyone says it, but its steeper then it looks. Seeing STP on his rigid 29er rock this section was awsome!

a slightly fuzzy SingleTrackPig and a waterfall to cross

My rig, leaving without me. It was to eager to continue the fun

Yea , Farlow has a few smooth sections

STP on Daniel Ridge

Rob, Robert C, and Phil on the chase down Daniel Ridge

We finished the day up on the Davidson River Trail. A few sprinkles to tease us but never any downpours and actually got a bit of sunshine. 31 miles, 4,200 ft of accumilated climbing, over 7,300 ft of descending. Thats what I'm talking about.

Great to have along for the ride:

Rob
    Robert C
    Phil
    Singletrack pig
    and Johnny from Athens, Ga.

Jeremy
    Last edited by mountaingoatepics; 09-05-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Mr. Bucket
    Damn. i picked a bad day to wear a skirt. I should have come out. Glad ya'll had fun.
    [SIZE="4"]Beefcakes Bike Blog[/SIZE]http://beefcakesbikeblog.blogspot.com/

white boy extraordinaire

I've heard of those wilys..

I know why it was by the trash, those frames break too easily. There is this skinny a$$ punk who rides one around WNC and he broke his, it was ugly to boot, prolly have more luck riding that stroller down farlow

Sorry, I missed that one Jeremy, what a great route. Flat laurel is rad!!
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Thanks Jeremy

You lead a great ride once again. Seems like every time I join you we hit something I've never ridden. And thats saying something since I've been exploring Pisgah on a bike since back in frickin' 89. Jeez that sounds bad.

Farlow was a blast and the snotty roots and rocks just added to the experience. I had some serious adrenaline surges on that trail from snatching my wheel back from the edge of certain death. Who needs crystal meth anyway?

Yeah, CM, Wily's are so shoddily built that they went out of business. Thankfully Steve Stickel rescued her from the scrap heap with a new top tube and brace to handly my 138lbs of TNT. Like the rattlecan two-tone?
    Dirtbag since '89

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    OK...I'll bite. Clue me into where the heck Flat Laurel is and this other section. I've heard of Shining Rock Wilderness but don't know it's locale.

Also, since you guys are the explorer types, what's Panthertown like?
    I am not a "Role Model"

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Flat Laurel Creek and Ivestor Gap are between The Devil's Courthouse and Graveyard Fields off the BRP up FS 816 on Black Balsam Knob. Ivestor Gap basiaclly dead ends into the Shining Rock Wilderness( unfortunatley no bikes allowed in there).

Done some hiking in Pathertown, no riding yet, but most of what I've seen is like Wilson's Creek as far as backcountry. You need to be a good topo map reader as most of the trails are unmarked and there are several spurs everywhere. I'll post pics after my bike trip up that way.

Glad you enjoyed it STP. Wilson's or Scaly Mtn next time. I want to see you hit the creek gap on Rassberry

Yar , you guys missed a good one, CM and DJ.

Jeremy

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    fantastic to know. Panthertown was where we spent time day hiking alot back in college. They're always having to drag lost frat kids out of there next day type deal. Something about Panthertown is creepy to most people. I'd love to spent more time on those sections of Pisgah, but the time getting there alone is pretty extensive.

Ever dropped off the other side of the Pkwy into Sylva, Moses Creek, Wayehuta....hundreds of miles of trails in there between Balsam Gap and Bear Lake...
    I am not a "Role Model"

Work Shed...
    It were a fun ride
    The climb to the top of farlow wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Going DOWN farlow, however, is a completely different story. Kinda felt bad that I had to walk so much of it- theres nowhere in GA that can prepare you for that many rocks (or bolders, as I like to call them). Thanks to you Jeremy for leading the ride! I'll definately try to make it up there if you post up another'n..
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can someone tell me if Kissie Creek is road number 5031 on the map? Thanks!
    c