Thread: Weird sighting

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Weird sighting

Yesterday as we were chuggin' up BC Road to hit Lower Sider (BillyGoat) we hear this god awful noise, at first, thought maybe they were grading the road over near Chestnut Cove... then we came across this weird wagon train pulled by tractors headed towards the Prkwy.

Great day to ride.

the Route
    MuM's backyard to Rice Pinnacle
    up Ingles Field Gap
    up NB Rd
    downGreens lick
    down Laurel Branch rd
    down bottom section of Lower Side Hill to
    up Bent Creek Road
    up/down Lower Side Hill (Billy Goat)to
    up Bent Creek Road
    up South ridge Rd
    Down Chestnut Cove
    Down Explorer
    round the Lake
    up/down Warmup
    Deer Lake Lodge
    Rice Pinnacle back to Beer

here are the pix.

mtbr member
    Crazy wagon train!!

Great day to be in the woods!

Nice Pics!!
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Official Cooler Inspector
    Seeing the Wagon Train go by was neat. I did that trip a couple of times back in the 80's. Never would have imagined I'd be watching it go by while riding a mountain bike! Funniest thing was those slacker bike riders getting a "tractor pull" up the hill.

Great day.

http://www.hendersonvillenews.com/ap...510160375/1151

mtbr member
    My ride today consisted of that road, up and down.

BC road to the pkwy,
    pkwy to trace ridge trail head,
    spencer gap to wash creek,
    wash creek to fletcher creek,
    fletcher creek to spencer branch,
    spencher branch back to spencer gap,
    spencer gap back to wash creek,
    up wash creek to BC gap,
    BC road down to lower sidehill,
    lower sidehill to hickory top*,
    hickory top to ingles field gap,
    ingles field gap to ledford br road,
    ledford to corvair,
    corvair to some single track off of rice pinnacle road,
    said trail to wolf branch,
    wolf branch to deer lake lodge,
    deer lake lodge to the car.

great day to singlespeed!

*hickory top is still closed. I learned that when I got to the ingles field side. oops.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Freakin Gypsies......

Quote Originally Posted by zod
    Freakin Gypsies......
    Exactly what i was thinkin' as i was riding along side'em.

pronounced may-duh
    I also rode BC on saturday. I missed the chuck wagons. But I did go up and ride greens lick for the first time since spring. I was avoiding it all summer cause of the poision ivy situation. Happy to report the poision ivy is no longer a problem. So for all those who were avoiding greens lick for fear of poision ivy: I say GAME ON!

But stay off little hickory top. It's closed for logging.

One wheeled
    Thanks for posting the pictures. It was great to meet you and the infamous M-U-M. Thanks M-U-M for letting us play in your backyard. We ended up in Pisgah Sunday, what a great weekend.....

aka greyranger

wierd sightings

Brado, Mum, Garrett, thanks for the hospitality. Just got home a couple of hours ago. Nice to meet al of you and what a great backyard. Take care. Mark

Ride Instigator

Back to Reality...

Thanks for the pix Brad and thanks to MUM and Garrett also for the grand BC tour, we all had a blast and that 80s mtb vid shown afterwards was hilarious!

Soooo, a 12 hour drive home in steady rain and back to work tonight The fun had to end sometime I guess...

Ricko >>>> Plotting the next trip .

Boom Yow!
    Dec 2004
    A few years back I was riding in the Trace Ridge area and saw these same people leaving the big field at the bottom of the road that goes to the TR parking area. Unfortunately it was the day they were all leaving and I got stuck behind them on my way home.
    CC

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Are you guys the ones that passed us on Greens Lick in that one spot about 1/3 of the way down where 3 out of 6 of us got flats? I think I found the rock culprit and scooted it off the trail but just in case, carry an extra tube...

Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    Are you guys the ones that passed us on Greens Lick in that one spot about 1/3 of the way down where 3 out of 6 of us got flats? I think I found the rock culprit and scooted it off the trail but just in case, carry an extra tube...
    must have been another group , i don't remember passin' anyone other than the guy i almost ran over, who was pushing his bike up the middle of the trail. then there was a guy and girl who came down just after us. Sorry about the flat, but leave the loose rocks on the trail, please. thanks

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Sorry about the flat, but leave the loose rocks on the trail, please. thanks

This wasn't one of the loose rocks laying about on the trail. It was a jagged mess sticking out from the side.

Wouldn't want all those single speeders going 10mph down Greens Lick to get their feelings hurt by a few missing rocks. Besides, I thought 4 lb bikes had trouble with that type of thing anyway. Not to mention I love destroying trails that I ride twice a week.

Kudzu
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I also rode BC on saturday. I missed the chuck wagons. But I did go up and ride greens lick for the first time since spring. I was avoiding it all summer cause of the poision ivy situation. Happy to report the poision ivy is no longer a problem. So for all those who were avoiding greens lick for fear of poision ivy: I say GAME ON!

But stay off little hickory top. It's closed for logging.
    The poison ivy has pretty much been beaten down.
    I haven't had an issue with the Ivy on N. Boundry all summer.
    Its rare for me not to get at least one good dose

Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    This wasn't one of the loose rocks laying about on the trail. It was a jagged mess sticking out from the side.

Wouldn't want all those single speeders going 10mph down Greens Lick to get their feelings hurt by a few missing rocks. Besides, I thought 4 lb bikes had trouble with that type of thing anyway. Not to mention I love destroying trails that I ride twice a week.
    sorry i was being a smartass....forgot to insert the sarcastic smilies!

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu
    The poison ivy has pretty much been beaten down.
    I haven't had an issue with the Ivy on N. Boundry all summer.
    Its rare for me not to get at least one good dose

In the spring it was up to your armpits. I decided then, that I was not going up there till fall. I guess the trail recieved lots of traffic during the summer and the ivy was beaten back. Lets hope next spring the trail is still passable.

Greens Lick is really wearing in nicely. I rode it with a fully ridgid bike and it felt like my teeth were gonna fall out. Lots of chatter with the breaking bumps and rocks making there way to the surface.

BGR / MCM #311
    Looks like you had a lot drier and less crash ridden ride at BC than the "other" Illinois group. Ours was a bit like riding slime covered eels in certain sections...but Greens Lick was still a hoot. We ended up with just short of 90 miles of riding in the 5 days. BC, Round Mtn., Dupont, Funnel/Squirrel Gap, Tsali (left and right). It was a good week..

Just remember 78 and sunny...lol.

Our "official" trip log is HERE
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

aka greyranger

BC conditions

We had near perfect conditions for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Hope you guys enjoyed your trip we sure did. We will have to come down your way soon, take care.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    Looks like you had a lot drier and less crash ridden ride at BC than the "other" Illinois group. Ours was a bit like riding slime covered eels in certain sections...but Greens Lick was still a hoot. We ended up with just short of 90 miles of riding in the 5 days. BC, Round Mtn., Dupont, Funnel/Squirrel Gap, Tsali (left and right). It was a good week..

Just remember 78 and sunny...lol.

Our "official" trip log is HERE
    Yup, word on the trail is that you guys were like a buncha' rag dolls slippin and slidin on all those wet roots . I was prepared for wet though, Navagal Stick E on the front and Cinder on rear works like a charm on them slikkery roots.

We got lucky with 3 dry days of riding. DuPont, BC and the third day we rode from the horse stables up Black Mountain and down Avery Creek. Had a blast!

BGR / MCM #311
    Cool! We did black mountain with Thrift and Sycamore one day...it was gooooood. and Yes...you should come down here and ride soon.
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics Brad! Always good to ride w/ ya. That trip got Kaylie hooked- even after a nasty spill on some Avery Creek rocks! -Derek

mtbr member

Oh yeah...

Thanks Tara and Garret for the hospitality! Can I move in? I mean into your "backyard"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've heard several people mention the poison ivy on the North Boundary trail, but I must be immune to it or something because I am either running or riding in BC once or twice a week and never have had an issue with it. knock on wood.