Thread: Wayehutta - wow

mtbr member

Wayehutta - wow

So THAT's what an ATV park looks like - wow! It's like a hot wheels track, but life-sized, and winding through the forest. I descended to the trail system from Sugarloaf Mtn (Fern Gap) on the Balsam Preserve property, then I descended the trail system, and descended, and descended. Should have asked an ATV rider to pull me back up.

Does anyone ride these trails on a regular basis (on a mtn bike, that is)? I didn't see any bike while I was there, but plenty of ATVs and dirt bikes. I could see some people doing some serious hucking and DH in that place (I'm clearly more of the XC ilk).

Anyway, wow, that's fun.

mtbr member
    hm, no where is that? I know of Brown Mountain and I'm pretty sure it's the only legal place to ride ATVs in Pisgah. I'm guessing this is more towards the east?

In good ole' upstate new york (my home town) that's what we have to work with up there. Generally we lace up their double track with some singletrack (and try to hide it from them obviously) and I remember how fast and flowy those trails can be. dirtbikes and atvs have been around a lot longer than mountain bikes have so you'll see a lot of older atv trails that have been converted into "our" trails. Something to consider next time you hear a mountain biker complain about ATVs. They're not all bad. Kinda like us.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Wayhutta also known as Roy Taylor's ATV Park in the Nantahala National Forest just outside of Collowhee. I've heard lots of good things about the area but have yet to ride there.

Jeremy