Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??

Saw the Warrior Creek 6 hour announced for April. Haven't ridden those trails.

Can somebody give some feedback on the trails? Rolling terrain, steep climbs or more sustained climbs, smooth or technical??

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd say all of the above, with nothing extreme.

It is rolling terrain that follows the contours of the fingers around the lake. There is certainly a fair amount of climbing, but it isn't the mountains. There is a pretty serious rock garden, but it's only 30 ft long or so.

It's a ton of fun, as it's always up and down and back and forth, very windy. It doesn't let you get into much of a rhythm, as you are almost always climbing or descending.

consistent default champ

a video from last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6jYG9L7lV8 only the first minute or so is trail footage, the rest is of the award ceremony.
    The course was fun. If I remember correctly, it wasn't so much sustained climbing as lots of ups and downs. It did seem like a lot of climbing by the end. I personally did not attempt the rock garden. I was actually really sick and probably shouldn't have been racing but when doesn't kill you makes you stronger ... right? the berms were lots of fun!
    I will be there again this year, hopefully not coughing up a lung.

banned
    sorta like a pump track for 11 miles. fun with lots of berms and quick ups and downs.

spec4life???..smh...
    no pisgah climbing but the most climbing in wilkes....nothing to long though not close to any hike a bike situations...the only real tech spot is the one long rock garden but a real fun trail to ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    sorta like a pump track for 11 miles. fun with lots of berms and quick ups and downs.
    That's how I'd describe it too. Like a 12-mile rollercoaster. Very fast and smooth with few roots and lots of berms. My favorite XC trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There is another technical addition and it involves rocks. It is not complete yet, but it will replace a boring section of trail below the K3 climb (~mile 8 on THIS MAP). There is also new trail with a "sustained" climb that replaces another crap section of trail which was between the road xings at the campgrounds. See THIS OTHER MAP if you want to compare. Please note that there are some trail closures during the week until Jan 1 due to some overall facility upgrades being managed by the USACE. There are also some upcoming trail closures that involve wild game and guns. The BMCC website has this plastered all over their website, but I have not seen it mentioned here yet. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Yes... Click Yes for Yes

Yes.

Wendy Warrior... She's here for your riding pleasure... She doesn't shave her legs, she's dishwasher safe, she rides like a man but works like woman.

Let's Ride Pimp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy1theeternaloptimist.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy2skeletoncrew.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy3bustinamove.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy4wenchonawinch.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy5wearsmyclinometer.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy6shesnotbitchyshesbenchin.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy7chewinrootswithonegoodtooth.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy8mymoonshinesnotdownhere.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy9stirinmoonshinewithanaxe.jpg  

Warrior Creek Race - Trails??-wcwendy10goesdown.jpg  

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Saw the Warrior Creek 6 hour announced for April. Haven't ridden those trails.

Can somebody give some feedback on the trails? Rolling terrain, steep climbs or more sustained climbs, smooth or technical??

One of the most fun trails I've ever raced laps on.... (damn grammar).

It is all of the above, minus the steep climbs... they're just kinda steep, but not hike-a-bike steep.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We camped there last year and rode....great fun, twisty, banked, no long climbs. Plan on doing the race so we will try and get up there a couple of times to pre-ride.