mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Visiting Tryon and want to ride....

My wife and I will be visiting her parents in Tryon over Thanksgiving and we want to get in two days of riding (Thursday and Friday). I believe we're flying into Greenville. Here's the logistical challenge: where to rent bikes and where to ride? We want to pick up the bikes on Wednesday and her parents will return them for us on Saturday, so it needs to be fairly close to Tryon.

Also, where should we ride: we were thinking about Tsali and Dupont. I understand that Pisgah is closer to Tryon than Tsali, and while I would love to ride there, I'm not sure my wife is up to the technical challenge. Is there some fairly buff, mid-level tech riding to be had at Pisgah or should we venture out to Tsali for a day?

mtbr member
    Most convenient options:
    1) Rent Bikes at Sycamore Cycles in Brevard. Buy a Pisgah map as well and ask the peeps at the shop to show you the following:

2) Good options in Pisgah itself: From Fish Hatchery, 475 to 475-B to down Cove Creek (aka Caney Bottoms) back to 475 back to the car. Another good option this time of year with a little more climbing and fast descending is 475 all the way up to Long Branch Trail down to Cat Gap Trail down to the Hatchery. After a big grassy field on Long Branch, there's a pretty good (2-3 foot) rock drop to a creek crossing- careful. After you cross the creek, you're on Cat Gap and it's pretty tech all the way down but rideable- have fun. Finally, if really want a little more, ask said peeps to show you "the Big M"- they should be able to help from there...

Dupont is very convenient and fun, but a maze of trails. Be prepared to scratch you head staring at a map at times(which I find fun, but hey, I am not known for my sanity) and respect the private property boundaries- again, Sycamore can help.

No need for the 2-plus hour trip to Tsali.
    Mike

pronounced may-duh
    Other options for rentals are Back Country Outdoors in Brevard and Liberty Cycles in Asheville.

Pisgah trails are not buff. They are technicaly chanleging. Dupont is easier and close to Brevard. Bent creek trails are smooth for begineers and are close to Asheville.

Tsali is also smooth trails but is a long drive.

mtbr member
    It's possible that your parents-i-l might consider the Great Escape in Spartanburg to be more convenient than bike shops in the Brevard or Asheville area. Plus, you could pick the bikes up on your way to Tryon. (you will be taking I85 from the airport to I26 in Spartanburg and then north to Tryon)

Of course, you would want to call and see if they have rentals. I am just suggesting them because they are a big shop and convenient to I26. Otherwise, I agree that Sycamore is a great shop and the friendlies there will help you out...and I agree you need the map

There are plenty of trails in Pisgah that can be ridden conservatively. In addition to MIke's suggestions, you could park at the Ranger Station and do a loop of Black Mtn, Thrift Cove, Sycamore cove. Not buff, though. Make sure she knows to slow down or get off and walk whenever she is worried. No shame in walking , everybody does it to one extent or another in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Black Mountain, Thrift, Sycamore is the "Big M" previously mentioned...
    Sorry about the local lingo...
    Mike