Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Visiting NC

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Visiting NC

Hey guys, i"m looking to take a weekender down to NC in Aprilish, and I was just looking for some info on trails, bike rentals, and places to stay or camp near good trails. I figured this would be the best place to look.

Any info would be great. Thanks ahead of time.
    Cheers

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    The search feature works pretty well on this site FYI

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So you can reply to tell me that, but no advice. thanks a lot. I'll rethink my trip,
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Davidson River Campground in Brevard is your best camping option for riding. Hot showers and town is super close.

There are two excellent bike shops within 1/2 mile of Davidson River; The Hub and Sycamore Cycles both will have great rental options, maps for sale, and can offer the in-person advice that is 1000x more valuable than anything the interwebz will offer.

You can ride, from Davidson River, on 90% singletrack for anywhere from 1-12 hours.

Is that better advice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome! Much better advice, thanks a lot. I'll def check into that, I appreciate it.
    Cheers

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbobagginz View Post
    Awesome! Much better advice, thanks a lot. I'll def check into that, I appreciate it.
    With all due respect, you were given good advise. The search function is your friend. Much advise has been given on the subject as the same question is asked almost daily. Lots of I go out there already.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    With all due respect, you were given good advise. The search function is your friend. Much advise has been given on the subject as the same question is asked almost daily. Lots of I go out there already.
    Understood. I just figured I'd ask instead. Seems more personable to figure out good areas, than trying to search for general things. I guess from now on I'll just search. Sorry to bother you Carolinians.
    Cheers

endorphin junkie
    Understood. I just figured I'd ask instead. Seems more personable to figure out good areas, than trying to search for general things. I guess from now on I'll just search. Sorry to bother you Carolinians.
    I'll second the recommendation for Davidson River camping, Hub/Sycamore for rentals, etc. There are lots of other options. For trail information and maps, as well as more options for lodging/dining, check out the following websites:
    Pisgah Area SORBA Trail Locations, Maps & info
    Mountain Biking in Western North Carolina - MTB WNC

Also, please excuse the resident Carolina Trolls. They have a rather annoying inability to simply move on past topics they aren't interested in.

It might help if there were useful, concise sticky topics that provided information about mountain biking in this region. Something like, "Visiting the Carolinas? Start Here!" Yes, people would still ask questions and not read the stickies. So what?

This is a regional mountain biking discussion forum. What's the purpose of it? Just what it says, having discussions about mountain biking in and to regional destinations. Some people, like the OP, would rather engage in a personal dialogue than browse past topics or use search features. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    I'll second the recommendation for Davidson River camping, Hub/Sycamore for rentals, etc. There are lots of other options. For trail information and maps, as well as more options for lodging/dining, check out the following websites:

Also, please excuse the resident Carolina Trolls. They have a rather annoying inability to simply move on past topics they aren't interested in.

It might help if there were useful, concise sticky topics that provided information about mountain biking in this region. Something like, "Visiting the Carolinas? Start Here!" Yes, people would still ask questions and not read the stickies. So what?

This is a regional mountain biking discussion forum. What's the purpose of it? Just what it says, having discussions about mountain biking in and to regional destinations. Some people, like the OP, would rather engage in a personal dialogue than browse past topics or use search features. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Again, the search function is a useful tool. That's all I'm trying to say. Always gonna be a pusquit to call it trolling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Thanks I appreciate the info. No worries, I get it I guess. If any of you guys ever venture in to NJ, feel free to message me and I'll help out as best as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Again, the search function is a useful tool. That's all I'm trying to say. Always gonna be a pusquit to call it trolling.
    I wasn't trying to start a war or anything, but I mean, if I see a topic I don't feel like viewing, or have any thing to say about, instead of chiming in about the search tool, I ignore it. I would have rather no one answered than give an answer like that.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    April is a great time to come to Asheville and ride Pisgah or Dupont. Dupont has more moderate singletrack and wide track with many waterfall views. Pisgah is more technical with challenging singletrack in more remote parts of the forest. Both places offer amazing riding. Here are a few places we recommend staying. Mike and Claudia Nix at Liberty Bikes in Asheville has a cool cabin for rent called Trail's End near Asheville with riding out your door in Bent Creek. Vacation in the Heart of Cycling Paradise - At Asheville's Favorite Bike Shop

Pro Biker Adam Craig stayed at The Red House Inn in Brevard. Red House Inn - A Brevard, NC Bed and Breakfast

Rebecca Banner has a perfect, cozy cottage rental in Asheville that would be excellent for a mountain vacation. Asheville Vacation Rental - VRBO 169068 - 2 BR Smoky Mountains House in NC, Walk to Downtown from Charming Cottage, in Historic Montford

Pro racer Jeremiah Bishop stayed at the Bear Ridge Cabin in Brevard. Brevard Vacation Rental - VRBO 309725 - 2 BR Smoky Mountains Cabin in NC, Charming Mountainside Cabin with Plenty of Upgrades & Privacy

Hope you have a great trip and keep riding!! Home - Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures

mtbr member
    Hey guys, i"m looking to take a weekender down to NC in Aprilish, and I was just looking for some info on trails, bike rentals, and places to stay or camp near good trails. I figured this would be the best place to look.

Any info would be great. Thanks ahead of time.
    where in NC?...Raleigh?..Charlotte?...Wilmington?...The Outer Banks?..Boone?...just wondering.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

Official Cooler Inspector
    There are many positive benefits to utilizing "the search tool" on MTBr. You can gain knowledge from a great & diverse group of locals/visitors (who rarely post on this site any more) and see some awesome seasonal photos/videos.

Lack of responses are not representative of the region. Thanks to MB for continuing to be a gentleman contributor.

JF:That's the bootleg I have been looking for my whole life!

Rogue Exterminator

Good post

+rep

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They called me "the search tool" in high school, and I always thought it was derogatory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    where in NC?...Raleigh?..Charlotte?...Wilmington?...The Outer Banks?..Boone?...just wondering.
    I don't know yet, part of the reason why I asked for info. I've never been to NC and I'm going specifically for mtb. Maybe anyway, its a toss up still between NC,TN, and FL
    Last edited by Philbobagginz; 01-06-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Cheers

mtbr member
    I don't know yet, part of the reason why I asked for info. I've never been to NC and I'm going specifically for mtb. Maybe anyway, its a toss up still between NC,TN, and FL
    I would say try to ride the mtns..even tho Ive never ridden there..I hear it is THE place to ride in NC (Brevard/Asheville- Dupont National Forest/Pisgah)...looking up videos on youtube is always a good place to start..then youre getting the feel of what you are up against...it prolly also depends on your level (beginner/expert what have you)...also in Charlotte there are alot of trails around that area..I have ridden a few and every one of them I have enjoyed..the US National Whitewater Center is a very unique place to ride because they have other things as well (Kayaking/Rafting etc etc)...I live in the middle of the state so I ride in Sanford/Uwharrie/Briar Chapel. there are a couple of sites I would suggest to look at Tarheel TrailBlazers Charlotte's Premier Mountain Bike Cluband TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill but these sites mainly deal with the middle of the state. This site might help as well: The First-Timer's Guide to Mountain Biking in Western North Carolina

so hopefully this helps a bit...good luck with all of this.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

Rogue Exterminator
    Lots of great trails and other activities in the Asheville area. If you have not been, it should be the first choice on your list IMO.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Do not drive to nc to ride mtn bikes and go to any other area other than Pisgah anything else would be silly

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    GLWT!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M View Post
    There are many positive benefits to utilizing "the search tool" on MTBr. You can gain knowledge from a great & diverse group of locals/visitors (who rarely post on this site any more) and see some awesome seasonal photos/videos.

Lack of responses are not representative of the region. Thanks to MB for continuing to be a gentleman contributor.

Totally awesome post. Thanks MUM.

mtbr member
    We're not unfriendly, just a little lazy ;-)

I searched up a thread with some "where to stay" info and a lot of extraneous "where to eat and drink" info by me.

Where to stay in Ashville?

hope it helps. The rentals answer is easy...etiher Hub or Sycamore...and the guys at either place can sell you a map (so worth the $12 or whatever) and point you in the right direction for trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    One other set of trails you may want to try are the ones around Wilkesboro. They are super flowy, purpose-built trails as opposed to the natural rustic trails in Pisgah. Think roller-coaster for a bike and you've got the idea. The campgrounds are nice but the downside if that Wilkesboro doesn't have the cool bars, restaurants, bike shops, that Asheville/Brevard do. You might just want to spend a day here on your way to/from Asheville...

Kerr Scott Trail Guide

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Lots of great trails and other activities in the Asheville area. If you have not been, it should be the first choice on your list IMO.
    Ditto. I live in Raleigh. If you were coming to this area to visit friends/family/work for a weekend, I'd point you to local trails. If you are saying that you want to bike somewhere in NC and you want to maximize your mtb experience, stay in the mountains.

In addition to all the other links/advice already posted, it would also help if you said what type of trails you want to ride (flowy, techy, all day epics, etc) and whether or not you'll have people/family with you that won't be biking and will need something to do.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    We're not unfriendly, just a little lazy ;-)
    No, I am pretty sure some people here are just unfriendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast