Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Visiting Asheville in September, looking for riding buds.

Hello!!! I'm visiting the Asheville area in September with bike (SC Bronson) and am looking for trusty trail partners. I have family in the area and visit quite often yet haven't found a good group to ride with. I usually stay in the Waynesville area.

Hoping to find a few kind souls willing to share rides and laughs (maybe even beers) while I'm visiting. In the past I have brought friends from NY but it can get complicated.

I have ridden Bent Creek (including Green's Lick), Dupont, Tsali (a looong time ago), yet have never ridden Pisgah. I can hold my own, have been racing sport this season with decent finishes, and know what I'm in for. I may not be the fastest but I love technical riding and need the climbing practice for a long race coming up in VT.

Any guidance / help is appreciated!

Rogue Exterminator
    I am always happy to include people on rides.
    My riding days are usually Wed evening with a scheduled group ride. Also Sat & Sun with friends or alone. Most weekend rides are usually 20-30 miles ea.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I am always happy to include people on rides.
    My riding days are usually Wed evening with a scheduled group ride. .
    LIAR! Everyone knows that it rains EVERY Wednesday in WNC :facepalm:
    Pisgah Area SORBA

... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    LIAR! Everyone knows that it rains EVERY Wednesday in WNC :facepalm:
    LOL, I did say "usually".
    Hopefully we will be back to normal (whatever that is) by September.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok, will keep you in mind...weekend rides sound like what I need, although I hope I can last that long in those mountains. Do you know about how much climbing you do in those rides? Pace? Would hate to hold you up and will always try my best.

Rogue Exterminator
    Pace is not an issue. I would say my pace is average or that of an intermediate rider but I don't mind slower riders. A good rule of thumb for climb in these parts is expect 100 feet per mile but I have done 150+ fpm. It all depends on where you ride. I can also shorten rides if need be.

Just let me know closer to when you come up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I'm at bent creek the majority of the week and pisgah is right down the road. Always up to ride with new people!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sweet! Thanks so much...I think I may try to get a two week vacation so I can extend my trip. Really want to ride in Pisgah...hope I can make it happen.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Visit the guys at The Hub - great craft beer and bikes too. They are always UP for a ride!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can also checkout The Bike Farm Pisgah. They do guided rides/shuttles. I haven't ridden with them yet, but I have heard good things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Craft beer and bikes, perfect, will definitely visit them. GREAT link matty, thanks so much. I just put in my request to extend this trip to two weeks, getting excited to ride the beauty of WNC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    OK, travel plans made. I land in NC sometime on the 9th and will be there till the 18th. Would love to plan some rides now so I can mentally 'prepare' ;-) I've stepped up my riding and have been racing in the sport class up here but the climbing still scares me, but, I will do my best!

SO looking forward to shredding on the Bronson down there...

mtbr member
    Catch the Middle Rim ride on Wednesday night. A fun group ride, usually followed by beer and mexican food. PAS - The Bent Creek Middle Rim Ride - Pisgah Area Mountain Biking Meetup (Mills River, NC) - Meetup
    Pisgah Area SORBA

... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Rogue Exterminator
    +1 on the middle rim ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So, I'm a little confused. That ride is posted to start at 6pm, and lasts 2.5-3 h. But...it doesn't say anything about needing lights, is it me? Would like to have some solid ride plans...this doesn't look promising.

mtbr member
    It's not yet time for lights, but it may be dark by the time you load up and leave the parking lot. We don't really start requiring lights until after daylight savings time ends in the Fall.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Rogue Exterminator
    Wed rides are also usually closer to 2 to 2.5 hours and we are usually drinking beer between 8:30 and 9:00

mtbr member
    Also check out Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures Home - Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures

They're a ton of fun and a great way to ride great trails on your own schedule.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm all for supporting the trails, mountain biking in general, and the community but I almost fell over when I saw the pricing...really? 150 to ride my bike? At that rate, I'll just have to shorten my trip and come back home to ride with friends :-(

Quote Originally Posted by docter_zab View Post
    Also check out Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures Home - Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures

They're a ton of fun and a great way to ride great trails on your own schedule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
    I'm all for supporting the trails, mountain biking in general, and the community but I almost fell over when I saw the pricing...really? 150 to ride my bike? At that rate, I'll just have to shorten my trip and come back home to ride with friends :-(
    Fair enough! I think what you're doing (finding locals to ride with) is awesome, and it sounds like you'll get to go on some awesome rides!
    The benefit of the tour group is that YOU get to set the schedule, and the ride is catered around your desires/skills. I agree it's not for everybody, but it is definitely a great option for out-of-towners completely new to the area that want an introduction to riding in Pisgah.
    ​mountain biking is fun.

Big Mac

Don't let them scare you. You don't need a guide. All you need is the will to do it and a map. If you can find a local to ride with, well that's great too, but it's not necessary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Don't let em scare you, you'll have enough time to hub off between bent creek, pisgah and DuPont, all 3 of which I highly recommend. There is no need for a guide what so ever, a trail map works wonders and could come in handy in the future. Go for the gold, just go ride dude!

mtbr member
    Hey Diana, maybe you can try here Tarheel Trailblazers Message Board - Index, I know they're Charlotte club but they ride all over.
    I had great success hooking up with some great people to ride with when my daughter went to UNC!
    Worth a try
    Too soon old-Too late smart!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know I don't 'need' a guide and am fairly happy riding on my own however, I do have family in the area and am down there a lot...was looking to get to know a few good souls to ride with, ya know...actually make some friends...this world is just too busy it seems :-(

Thanks Paul, I'll try that too...

Rogue Exterminator
    this world is just too busy it seems :-(
    A couple people including myself offered to meet up with you but I don't think anyone meant any harm by telling you that you don't need a guide.

Anyways, if you are wanting to meet up with people for riding, beside the offers you got from members here, check out these places.

Pisgah Area Mountain Biking Meetup (Mills River, NC) - Meetup

Also

Mountain Bunnies Outdoor Club (Asheville, NC) - Meetup

May be a little better for making friends then trying meet people from Charlotte.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast