mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Vacation Ride Recommendations

This summer my family and I will be in the Raliegh - Durham area as well as in the Asheville area. Looking for a couple of rides in Raliegh - Durham and at leasy three rides in the Asheville area. Want to ride intermediate to expert level all mountain terrian. Would also like trails to have at least a few technical sections. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Lots of good riding in Raleigh. Best bet is to post up on www.trianglemtb.com and let them/us know exactly what you watn. Varying trails from beginner to intermediate+ in the area, and rides of varying length. Trails in RDU typically close if we get significant rain.

As for Asheville, there is a TON of great riding in the area. For really epic rides, head down toward Brevard (maybe 20-30 minutes), as the riding IMO is better. There are locals on this board who can give better advice than I can, but I think you'll get a better response if you:
    1. Just search past threads about ride recommendations in the area, or
    2. Put the locaton of your interest into the thread title, so that the right people know to open it. (But really, all the info is already here if you do a quick search of past threads,)

My fav's would include
    Laurel Mountain to PIlot Rock, and then the Pilot Cove trail and others.
    Bennett Gap if you are up before 4/15, or Black Mountain if after. Go up past twin falls.
    Squirrel Gap

And for an easier day of riding that is still great, a day in Dupont is wonderful. It's more spread out, and less extreme, but still really fun, and if you are not in top shape, it can be a nice break from all the hike-a-bike in Pisgah. (Pretty much all of Dupont is rideable, some is fireroad, much is singletrack. It's flowey and the scenery is great too.)

I could go on for days, but this is a start....