mtbr member
    Mar 2006

USFS road closures for winter

FOREST SERVICE ALERT
    Jan. 17, 2014
    Roads Closed in Pisgah Ranger District

PISGAH FOREST, N.C. -- The U.S. Forest Service has closed the following roads in the Pisgah Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest, for public safety and resource protection:
    • Forest Service Road (FSR) 475B (Headwaters Road) from the intersection of FSR 475 (Davidson River Road, near the Pisgah Fish Hatchery), to Gumstand Gap (Sunwall Trailhead)
    • FSR 476 (Wolf Ford Road)
    • FSR 477 (Avery Creek) from the Pisgah Stables north to Route 276
    • FSR 479 (Bent Creek) from just after Ledford Branch Trailhead to the Blue Ridge Parkway
    • FSR 5000 (Wash Creek) from the Blue Ridge Parkway to just before Wash Creek Horse Camp
    Motorized access to trailheads in the Bent Creek Experimental Forest, Wash Creek Horse Camp and Trace Ridge Trailhead will remain open.
    The following additional roads (or portions of roads) will be closed if changing weather conditions cause further deterioration:
    • FSR 140 (Courthouse Creek)
    • FSR 146 (Yellow Gap)
    Seasonal freeze and thaw has caused soft road conditions that make driving difficult. Additional traffic can increase damage to roads and cause sediment runoff into adjacent streams. These conditions create a public safety concern, make traveling difficult and increase the chances of motorists becoming stranded. The duration of these closures will be determined by weather conditions.

Please note, these closures apply to cars/trucks only. You can still ride mtn bikes, hike, and trail run on these roads. I am only posting here as it may affect which trailheads you can drive to and of course parking patterns will change.

When did you get here?!?!
    Thanks for the great information, Woody!
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    There is an update to Yellow gap that should read.
    FSR 1206 (Yellow Gap)

Also if conditions continue more roads may close is the rumor.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    FS update:

Additional Road Closures in Pisgah National Forest

PISGAH FOREST, N.C., Feb. 4, 2014 -- The U.S. Forest Service is closing additional roads in the Pisgah National Forest. Roads closed currently will remain closed.

The closures effect the following roads:
    Yellow Gap Road (1206) from junction with Wolf Ford Road to just before North Mills River Recreation Area
    Courthouse Creek Road (140)
    Headwaters Road (475B)
    Access will remain open to North Mills River Recreation Area and Wolf Ford Horse Camp. Seasonal freeze and thaw caused soft road conditions that make driving difficult. Additional traffic can increase damage to roads and cause sediment runoff into adjacent streams. These conditions also create a public safety concern because of the likelihood of having difficulties traveling on the road, including the possibility of becoming stranded. The duration of these closures will be determined by weather conditions.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Thank Motomike for getting this up. I was busy at work today and didn't get to post it up.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Any word on re-openings? The weather suuuure is nice.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Rogue Exterminator
    Bah, keep the roads closed.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Any word on re-openings? The weather suuuure is nice.
    Nothing yet.
    Last edited by Logover; 03-11-2014 at 07:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I agree. Rode over in Pisgah over the weekend and climbing the forest roads was much nicer than when open and dodging traffic and eating dust.

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Bah, keep the roads closed.

Rogue Exterminator
    Especially when they are rednecks in a pick up truck who think they are the Duke boys in The General Lee. Yeeehaw!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Curious as to roadside camping options during the road closure. Most of the spots that I have been using for years are on the closed roads. Looks like it might be slim pickings for free camping. any suggestions if they don't reopen the roads?

mtbr member
    The roads will re-open, I'm sure. Until then, 475 going towards the turn for Butter Gap is open and the roadside camping spots were available last weekend at least. The camp sites from Daniel Ridge trailhead are easy to walk to. 477 is open to the horse stables, but those heavily used campsites become a little too much like open air toilets for my liking.

Rogue Exterminator
    Also plenty of road side camping in Mills River near Laurel and Pilot.

mtbr member
    1206 is closed too.

There are a few campsites before the gate after the campground, but they have the same open air toilet problem. Any campsite I can smell from my bike in the summer is not where I want to camp.

There is a good, free camping area at the other end of 1206 by Wolf Ford- it's closed just past this turn.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    The roads will re-open, I'm sure. Until then, 475 going towards the turn for Butter Gap is open and the roadside camping spots were available last weekend at least. The camp sites from Daniel Ridge trailhead are easy to walk to. 477 is open to the horse stables, but those heavily used campsites become a little too much like open air toilets for my liking.
    I forgot that I could walk in from the DR trailhead, so thanks. I agree on the horse stable camping. Haven't stayed there in many years.

If only we could get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    1206 is closed too.

There are a few campsites before the gate after the campground, but they have the same open air toilet problem. Any campsite I can smell from my bike in the summer is not where I want to camp.

There is a good, free camping area at the other end of 1206 by Wolf Ford- it's closed just past this turn.
    Yeah. those camp sites on the circle going down 476 are over used. We almost always stay further down 476 on the right. Easy access to the goods and kinda far back.

Hopefully, everything will open back up soon or we will just hike in and camp somewhere if we have to go that route.