mtbr member
    Mar 2006

USFS Land and Resource Management Plan revision

If there ever was a time for a Mountain Bikers or parents of future dirt riders to participate in a Pisgah National Forest planning process, this is the one. The current management plan that has been guiding the way trails and the forest is managed has been in place since 1987 with one major revision in 1994. The public input given to the National forest in the revision of this plan can guide the direction of how Pisgah National Forest and surrounding forest will be managed for many years into the future. This plan revision process is going to take up to 3 years of work by the National Forest service and is scheduled to be completed summer 2015. The process will consist of written reports, environmental impact studies, and periods of public comment. We as mountain bikers need to participate in this process if we want to keep trail access with quality trails that we all enjoy for generations to come.
    Over the years and months ahead Pisgah Area Sorba volunteers will do their best to keep you informed of when your participation is needed to help with this plan revision process. Anyone willing to volunteer their time on this process would greatly be appreciated. At times your volunteered efforts can be done from the comfort of your home submitting comments to the NFS plan revision from your computer. At other times your presents will be needed to attend NFS meetings. Please do consider any participation that you can be involved with.
    On March 18th was the first meeting for the plan revision process. Approximately 170 participants from various organizations like hunters, timber industry and environmentalist were able to submit comments. There did not appear to be a lot of Mountain Bike representation. Donít fear, the NFS has provided everyone with a way to submit comments online for the first meeting. To submit your comments and more about this process please see the links below. In addition the NFS has announced some upcoming key dates where we can show our presence and participate in the plan revision process. The first date will be on May 30th, which the location is to be determined. The second date is a all-day workshop on Saturday July 30th at the Arboretum. Please consider participating at these upcoming dates to show our Mountain bike presences and desires.
    Comments are being accepted at the link below until April 29th, 2013
    https://cara.ecosystem-management.or...?Project=30641
    2012 Planning Rule Proposed Directives click here
    Planning Rule - Home
    Click here handouts distributed at March 18ths meeting.
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/wp-co...s%20031813.pdf
    Click here for U.S. Forest Service Planning Rule Revision.
    Planning Rule - Home
    To read the newsletter online you can visit this link: Participation requested by MTBers on NFS planning process

mtbr member
    I'm going to try bumping this and speaking a little bit more plainly.

Ever wonder why it doesn't seem like very much $ gets spent on trails? It's pretty simple; the people managing our local forests have to follow the mangement plan. The one that has been in place since 1987 does not emphasize WNC's woodlands as a recreational resource; it's a timber, wildlife, and water resource. Now, I'm not saying I'm against timber or wildlife (far from it- I'm about as enviro as one can be but also understand that timber has to come from somewhere) and, long-term, clean drinking water is more important than most anything else. That said, recreation is what most people use the forest for and I for one feel like money and staffing resources should be directed towards it. That WILL NEVER HAPPEN unless the management plan calls for it. If you agree, please consider submitting a polite comment at this web address:

Thanks!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    I'm going to try bumping this and speaking a little bit more plainly.

Ever wonder why it doesn't seem like very much $ gets spent on trails? It's pretty simple; the people managing our local forests have to follow the mangement plan. The one that has been in place since 1987 does not emphasize WNC's woodlands as a recreational resource; it's a timber, wildlife, and water resource. Now, I'm not saying I'm against timber or wildlife (far from it- I'm about as enviro as one can be but also understand that timber has to come from somewhere) and, long-term, clean drinking water is more important than most anything else. That said, recreation is what most people use the forest for and I for one feel like money and staffing resources should be directed towards it. That WILL NEVER HAPPEN unless the management plan calls for it. If you agree, please consider submitting a polite comment at this web address:

Thanks!

Yep, multi-use is still a new idea when it comes to the plan.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member

Re: USFS Land and Resource Management Plan revision

Comments are being accepted at the link below until April 29th, 2013

Make some thing better happen.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The May 30th meeting is set at the Arboretum:

Asheville, NC - May 30th at the NC Arboretum
    (100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way, Asheville, NC 28806)
    *Meetings will run from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.*

We encourage participants to arrive at 5:30 to gather handouts
    and review materials prior to the meeting.

May 2013 Sessions

The second round of Forest Plan Revision assessment information sessions for the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests will be held on the last two Thursdays of May. The objective of these sessions will be to present more in-depth information on a selection of topic areas related to the existing condition of the forests, and share opinions and ideas on these topics. The tentative format will be concurrent information/discussion sessions on selected assessment items, including some that were of high interest at the initial round of meetings in February and March.

Topic areas likely to be addressed include: 1) ecological restoration, 2) early successional and other habitats, 3) recreation access and scenery, and 4) designated areas. Meeting participants will have an opportunity to participate in two or three topic discussions of their choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This will be a very important meeting for mtn bikers to attend. The first meeting in Brevard was dominated by sportsmen (lots of camo in the room) with only a few of us mtn biker types.

mtbr member

Re: USFS Land and Resource Management Plan revision

Bump

The meeting is tomorrow evening.
    Hunters are showing up in mass and encouraging logging for early stage growth. The equestrians will have nothing else to do on a Friday night. I will be out of town.

The end result of this process will determine how the USFS will focus their energy and small budget for the next decade.

Please think about offering free beer to all those that can fit in your car and attending.

Make some thing better happen on the trail.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Anyone know how this turned out? Wish I could've been there for it.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    It was a good meeting with LOTS of mountain biker participation. It's going to be a long process with many more meetings however; the intent is to have a draft plan complete for submission by summer 2014. Format was brief overview followed by discussion groups on high interest topics of 1) Wildlife areas and early successional habitat, 2) Designated Areas (ranging from wilderness to picnic areas), and 3) Recreation and Access to said. Meeting was formattes so that you had to participate in all 3 groups, it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.
    The next work session will be ALL DAY August 30th at the Arboretum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    The next work session will be ALL DAY August 30th at the Arboretum.
    I think it's actually Aug 3rd.

Interesting meeting- good to see the bikers out. I felt like we were being heard---- we'll see.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the correction. Augst 3rd, Saturday.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    I think it's actually Aug 3rd.

Interesting meeting- good to see the bikers out. I felt like we were being heard---- we'll see.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"