whatever
    Nov 2005

upper barkhouse and steeles creek

Hey ive got yet another dumb question for all of you. Can someone give me directions to upper barkhouse and also tell me where the beginng of steeles creek is in relation to the end of little fork
    thanks

mtbr member

Bark House

Bark House starts literally right out of the door of the outhouse in the picnic area. The trail splits part way down. The left fork will dump you back out on 496 prematurely, missing the big jumps. Due to a relatively new logging operation, the trail seems to end in a big clearing. There's a little more. Go straight across and the trail resumes.

There are two Steels Creek rides that I know of. One of them starts by going straight through the gate across from the end of Bark House. I haven't been there in a while so I'm fuzzy on directions, but you cross the various forks of Steels and pick up the MST and crank it up to 496, making a clockwise loop. My recollection of it was some very fast singletrack and wading at least one creek crossing.

The other Steels ride that I know of is listed as 210A off of 228 (God's Country). It's on most of the maps I have. Very pretty ride of double track. Crossing Steels Creek is a daunting operation usually involving shoe removal.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ain't no such thing as Upper Barkhouse, it's too short as it is without making it an upper and a lower. You may be confusing two different trails.
    If it's Bark House you are after, GG's description is on the money. I guess I could have said "spot on" but WTF is that anyway ?
    I always picture an Englishman smoking a pipe when I hear 'spot on". It just ain't right. Next time you see a Burke County hunter in full camo, say "spot on" and see what happens. Or better yet, count the years before you hear him say it.
    Little Fork to Steeles Creek-hang a right on the FS road. When the road peters out, cross the creek and hike-a-bike upstream. If you have some steel legs, you will eventually hit the same FS road that Barkhouse empties into. Right to 181-left to Table Rock.
    Please don't complain about not getting your exercise shuttling Headley's.
    It's a little absurd if you think about it.
    Park in Morganton and ride to Barkhouse or do an out and back on the Kistler Memorial Highway.
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 11-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.

whatever
    Nov 2005
    thanks for the directions. And yea i know im just lazy when it comes to riding up 181

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by threeheadedduck
    thanks for the directions. And yea i know im just lazy when it comes to riding up 181

Thats not lazy, thats common sense taking over. Riding up 181 on a mtn bike is just a plain wastefull way to spend time on a bike. I've done it out of need, not because I wanted to I like to climb, I enjoy it to a point, but I think it should be up some singletrack or a fire road to get to another section of dh or singletrack. Road climbing on a mtn bike is just wrong. It's just wrong, necessary sometimes, but still wrong.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"