Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

UNCC students: Cycling/mountain bike club!

Hey guys,

There is currently an inactive cycling club at UNCC that used to be mostly comprised of roadies. I'm very interested in reviving it in a mountain bike-centered iteration. You have to prove interest to reinstate clubs, so if this sounds like it'd be up your alley, PLEASE shoot me an email at dbroome1@uncc.edu ASAP to let me know that you would be willing to participate.

This will NOT be a club that participates in sanctioned collegiate racing through the ACCC or other, just a group of people of any skill level that share the common thread of loving to ride--definitely more about camaraderie than competition. We can and will participate in local Charlotte-area races, but the club will be primarily focused around recreation. Any skill level is encouraged. I am on the intermediate side of novice myself, and always looking to improve.

If the consensus grows toward official collegiate racing, we can certainly take that route for next year, but a recreational club is a much better launching pad.

If there is sufficient interest by next week I will get the ball rolling on the bureaucracy and paperwork, which is due by September 15th. Please email me ASAP to indicate your interest! Thanks!
    ----------------------------------------------
    '01 Gary Fisher Mt. Tam
    '05 Specialized Enduro Comp - sold

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Way late on this, but have you found any interest or are you still looking? cause I'd def be in.

spec4life???..smh...
    I know they are still currently inactive....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    well that sucks....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If I didn't just graduate and move away, I'd be in for sure!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i would be down. im looking for people to ride with. email me at jspoon1@uncc.edu if you want to go ride. im really interested in starting up a club for road and mountain being that i do both.

all your base
    I don't go there, but my wife does and we live close by now. Is there any organization right now? If not, lets all of us ride sometime?
    I live off mallard creek church road and could meet anywhere...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There isn't right now but I'm about to start one up again, and i am down to ride anytime, sherman is right down the road, it is a great ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was back on campus this past weekend. They are killing all the trails to make room for the stadium! I'm afraid the ones behind the hospital are next..

I STILL haven't made it down to Sherman Branch though. Everyone tells me its a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ya i rode the campus trails last year and they are dying fast....

Sherman is an awesome ride and that comes from someone who is used to AM riding and large hills and long down hill.

I am in the process of getting the forms for the club done now and also about to put up a FB group so people can atleast get together and ride. I have been working through some logo ideas and only have 2 done right now. I will post them below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've kind of been trying to do the same thing here in Winston @ WFU. I'm now a senior and I've yet to find someone who mountain bikes aside from the people I've introduced to the sport.

The school is within spitting distance of some of the best and most beautiful trails in the world yet, no one! I never would have imagined that I'd have more buddies who mountain bike in Florida than I could find here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I know Wake has a good cycling tea, (road) one of my friends is on it. but i understand about the mountain. I know people around here have to mtb but I just can't find that many. And the school is horrible about emailing me back about how to start a club.

all your base
    I've never been to sherman despite going to Davidson for 4 years, anyone want to meet up there Sunday afternoon?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    soccer6543, do you live on campus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ya man I do, im living in Witherspoon, and what about you?

and primefocus. I will be at Sherman on Sunday. I'm not entirely sure what time yet though

all your base
    cool, I will be there between 1:30 and two. Driving a silver subaru sedan, blue bike. I'll hang out in the parking lot for a while if anyone else would like to join, riding is just cooler with other peeps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I will try and be there the same time then, I drive a silver 4-runner, black k2. I'll hang out for a bit as well.

all your base
    Awesome ride at Sherman yesterday, definately need to get more group rides going out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey guys! I'm still alive.

Last year I had all the legwork done on the club--a constitution, everything laid out with Rec Services, etc., etc.--and tried to hold the first meeting to have the first members approve the constitution, elect officers, and therefore officially instate us as a club. I think 12 were supposed to show and NOT ONE person did. I was so dejected I just forgot about it.

I've got to admit, I'm kind of jonesing to do it again. I think 8 is the magic number--you have to have 8 people officially join the club to be recognized by the University. Do you think we can scrape together that many people if we give it a shot this year?

I'm completely swamped with tests and other garbage going on over the next couple of weeks, so it may take me a bit to dust everything off and get started with it again, BUT, I think there's a deadline toward the end of September where you have to be registered with Rec Services (i.e., first meeting held and constitution approved), so this may have to happen relatively quickly.

So let me know if you guys think you can find 7 more people that would be in on this FOR SURE, and, if so, we'll give it a shot as quickly as possible.

--
    Dave
    ----------------------------------------------
    '01 Gary Fisher Mt. Tam
    '05 Specialized Enduro Comp - sold

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sad to hear about the campus trails. Those trails were my first mtn bike experience way back when i was at UNCC in 92 and are still some of my favorite. I think at one point we had upwards of 15-18 miles total out there without overlapping anything. Hope you guys can get organized and keep some of the alive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by z1 zonly
    Hey guys! I'm still alive.

Last year I had all the legwork done on the club--a constitution, everything laid out with Rec Services, etc., etc.--and tried to hold the first meeting to have the first members approve the constitution, elect officers, and therefore officially instate us as a club. I think 12 were supposed to show and NOT ONE person did. I was so dejected I just forgot about it.

I've got to admit, I'm kind of jonesing to do it again. I think 8 is the magic number--you have to have 8 people officially join the club to be recognized by the University. Do you think we can scrape together that many people if we give it a shot this year?

I'm completely swamped with tests and other garbage going on over the next couple of weeks, so it may take me a bit to dust everything off and get started with it again, BUT, I think there's a deadline toward the end of September where you have to be registered with Rec Services (i.e., first meeting held and constitution approved), so this may have to happen relatively quickly.

So let me know if you guys think you can find 7 more people that would be in on this FOR SURE, and, if so, we'll give it a shot as quickly as possible.

--
    Dave

Glad to know there is still interest. I had a meeting with Dan (club sports director) a few days ago to discuss the details, and 8 is the magic number, I personally know of 5 (including me) and possibly more. And I am more than willing to take the initiative on this if you are too busy, cause I just want to get everyone together and do some riding like we all enjoy. So you, or anyone else let me know what you Think of all this. I have all the necessary forms/contacts etc. Just waiting for the 8 interested ppl. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have to be a current student?

all your base
    yeah, not a student but my wife is. It would be awesome to finde more peeps to ride with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    to be on the club you have to be a current student, but if you wanna ride with me/us thats fair game, we can set up a fb page or something to coordinate rides....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am definetly in. I am more than willing to help do something to get this thing started. I would really like too. Let me know if yall want a FB page and I can set one up. I am down. Let get this started and even if we have to fast track it, fine with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast