mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Upset ULTIMATE RIDE Campground is the worst ever. I wish I were joking...

I'm a simple man and don't expect much... seriously! I reserved a primitive campsite for two nights at Ultimate Ride near Dupont State Forest based on it's proximity to one of the trail heads. I have to tell you the tent camping was REALLY, REALLY bad! We were the only ones up there and we checked 4 different campsites. Not a single one of them was even remotely flat. It looked like someone spent about one afternoon with a bobcat making the "campsites". So after one uncomfortable night, we go to the front and check out. I figure I probably won't get my money back, but I can explain what I see as the problem. This woman pretty much flips off the handle when I say the sites are not flat. I was honestly calm and collected despite my disappointment. She then starts raising her voice and says "I have had those laser leveled!" At this point my wife rolls down the car window and says,"those sites are definitely NOT flat." The owner than says, "we just had boy scouts out there working on them". Now at this point I am thinking, OK- did you have these site professionally laser sighted or did some 12 year olds with shovels push some dirt around? Which is it? Or is it both? At this point she very rudely says no way is she giving any refunds and then she says something about "you people- always have issues with the campsites" and I'm relatively certain she meant mountain bikers when she said that. My wife and I both say,"OK- we'll make sure 'our people' avoid your campground." She at this point, just shy of screaming, says, "Go ahead and tell all your friends".

Basically they have spent little or no money on the development of the primitive campsites and expect to charge $10/person every night- yeah $40 for 4 people on one site! It is obvious that she continues to get complaints about the primitive campsites, based both on her anger about the issue and her poor attempts to explain the work that has been done to make the campsites level.

PLEASE BE ADVISED, THE PRIMITIVE CAMPSITES ARE TERRIBLE AND THIS CAMPGROUND IS ADVERTISED AS MOUNTAIN BIKER FRIENDLY AND I CAN ASSURE YOU, IT IS NOT. LET THE BUYER BEWARE.

My wife and I now out $20, drove up past the Fish Hatchery and had an awesome second night at a primitive campsite on the road above the hatchery (near the Looking Glass trailhead that all the rock climbers use). The primitive campsite was FAR, FAR better than the Ultimate Ride rubbish...

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

on their website

the photos of the tent sites on their website look like you get a ditch to pitch your tent! do they even come with a place for a fire?

I'm interested in those cabins across the road up a little ways.

thanks for the heads up

memorable member
    Im crossin them off the list.

mtbr member
    The camps near the Pisgah Fish hatchery are pretty decent. There are also some really good spots on the gravel road that leads to the Pisgah Forest riding stables, just past the ranger station, all of which are free and most of them are right by the river. In the Mills River area of Pisgah National Forest which is about a 25-30 minute drive down Hwy 280 has a lot of good free camping spots along Wash Creek Road and Yellow Gap Road. There a some great trails in that area. There are also lots of great free places to camp on the Blue Ridge Parkway and it is a relatively short commute to the trails in Pisgah Forest. I have lived in this area all of my life and frequently camp in those areas when I want to get a way from everything for a little while but don't have the money to go out of town.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Campsites

Brado1- It's much worse. There are NO photos of the primitive campsites (for good reason). Check out the very back of campsite #12 where all the dirt is- that's pretty much what the primitive sites look like. Rolling dirt. Might be able to make some nice doubles without too much work though. ;-)

Campsite #13 shows the fire rings. Old truck rims.

My wife was bothered by the fact that the showerhouse had no exterior doors. Admittedly somewhat unusual, I can't think of any showerhouses that DON'T have exterior doors...

I guess I can now consider "all my friends at MTBR.com TOLD".

Thanks to all the people who read this thread. Over 100 views already today. I hate when business owners think you have no power and can treat you like trash. Time for a wake up call...

The primitive camping area near the stable is Avery Creek and is very nice but were full by 9AM saturday morning- definitely on my short list in the future.

Philosophizer
    I'm sorry but I had to chuckle when I read your story. I did some work for her when she was building that place and your right,she's flippin' nuts. One of the best places to camp I Cascade Lake Rec area. I live just a couple of miles from there and I think is one of the better camping places around.
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

Official Cooler Inspector
    They've done a lot of renovations to the spots along "the Horse Stables" road, including new grated fire pits. Some have new parking pads, so watch that loose tire eating chunky gravel.

RMG
    mtbr member
    You should try black forest campground!! awesome campsite...they even have an inground POOL!
    Very clean, very couteous, well worth it.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Ultimate Ride CG though...will not ever be staying there for sure.

mtbr member

Camp Ground

Why do people with a gold mine insist on making it a septic tank?

banned

Bonking ... not feelin' well Go up 276 just past pink beds to yellow gap road(1206)

take a right on yellow gap and then take your first right and go to the end of the road. There are a lot of free camping spots that are pretty secluded next to the creek and you won't have to worry about a lot of traffic being at the end of the road. Have fun, I gotta work.

mtbr member

Thanks for the heads-up

Last time I was there it was still under "construction" so we couldn't check it out. Black Forrest is great. We have kids so it is a perfect fit for us anyway.

Thanks!!
    Tim

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New question here. Are they closed?

I recently referred my friend to the Ultimate RIde Campground, and they said that when they drove up, it appeared no one was there, and the gate was locked. It looked like there had been no activity for some time. Anyone know why they closed?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by george2926 View Post
    I recently referred my friend to the Ultimate RIde Campground, and they said that when they drove up, it appeared no one was there, and the gate was locked. It looked like there had been no activity for some time. Anyone know why they closed?
    Because it sucked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mashochist View Post
    Im crossin them off the list.
    You mean you aren't staying with Alexander Supertramp when you come to Pisgah?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Because it sucked.
    ^^^this^^^