Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40

    Two hours and first trip at DuPont

    What would you recommend?

    Heading there for a project, and it's my first time with a bike and no family/little kids.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,425
    For some fast flowy stuff, park at Buck Forest and ride Jim Branch and Ridgeline. There are also some good trails off of Joanna Rd. Just have fun.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  3. #3
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    For some fast flowy stuff, park at Buck Forest and ride Jim Branch and Ridgeline. There are also some good trails off of Joanna Rd. Just have fun.
    Agreed but park at Lake Imaging instead and you are right there at Jim Branch and Ridgeline.

    If you want more technical, park at Cornmill Shoals and do Burnt Mountain, Cedar Rock and Big Rock.

    There are several other good trails such as Reasonover and Airstrip to name a couple but I hear Reasonover is a pretty muddy right now.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Thanks! I'll be parking at the (soon to come) visitor center, if that affects anything...can you tell i don't know squat about Dupont yet.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orthoguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    259
    You'll get it figured out soon enough. Get a map and go exploring, it's a great place! Have fun.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

  6. #6
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
    Thanks! I'll be parking at the (soon to come) visitor center, if that affects anything...can you tell i don't know squat about Dupont yet.

    You can hit any of trails mentioned from there.
    However, if you do Burnt Mtn, Cedar Rock, Big Rock from there, I would go across the main road and Sheep Mtn to Pine Tree to get there or you will have to do a river crossing.

    I suggest stopping at pretty much any LBS and picking up the "Western North Carolina Trail Guide for Dupont. It is close to $15 but worth every penny.

    When are you coming?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    164
    Jim Branch and Ridgeline are pretty dry..... I'll be there tomorrow noon ish.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowMTBer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Agreed but park at Lake Imaging instead and you are right there at Jim Branch and Ridgeline.

    If you want more technical, park at Cornmill Shoals and do Burnt Mountain, Cedar Rock and Big Rock.

    There are several other good trails such as Reasonover and Airstrip to name a couple but I hear Reasonover is a pretty muddy right now.
    Reasonover was really muddy Saturday afternoon once the trail thawed. Most other trails were fine though.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

  9. #9
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    Reasonover was really muddy Saturday afternoon once the trail thawed. Most other trails were fine though.
    Yeah, I was out there Saturday and heard Reasonover was sloppy.
    Must the other trails out there seem to hold up pretty well most the other times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •