Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tsali

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Tsali

Is the tsali recreation area open for camping and mountain biking?? I have a trip planned for oct 7 2013. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    According to the folks at Bryson City Bikes, the campground is closed & the signage at the trailhead kiosk indicates that the trails are closed to all users. You can still drive down to the trailhead area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The cynical side of me wants to say that these trail closures are just a clever way to effect political repercussions for the whole government shutdown fiasco, making constituents who use them angry enough to contact their representatives and get it resolved.

The practical side realizes that keeping a popular, developed, front-country trail system like Tsali, FATS, or the Great Smoky Mountains open during a management hiatus could very well lead to reckless abuses of the amenities at the trailheads: household waste in the pit toilets, poaching by ATV's and 4wd trucks, graffiti, alcohol, fires in parking lots, etc. - all the crap you can imagine mice doing while the cat's away.

The upshot is that I'm less and less inclined to want developed recreation areas serving as hubs for our trail systems. In Pisgah, we're used to pack it in, pack it out, leave-no-trace style recreation on widely dispersed trails, so the shutdown just has no practical impact.

This is yet another reason I'm sad that remote trails like Summey Cove are closing.

mtbr member
    Well if all the rangers are off on furlough, who is going to be around to enforce trail closures at all these places?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Law enforcement rangers are still on the job in the NFS.
    I imagine if they are going thru a closed area & see a parked car, then a ticket will be left.

mtbr member
    So everyone is welcome to come to Spartanburg to ride this weekend. Our trails are rough and pretty much unmarked, but they are damn sure open.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    law enforcement rangers are still on the job in the nfs.
    I imagine if they are going thru a closed area & see a parked car, then a ticket will be left.
    yawn!

Big Mac

Tsali

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch on 1206 View Post
    yawn!
    A yawn followed by an exclamation point. So it's an excited yawn. The things people think.

mtbr member
    Major bummer....we have a trip scheduled for next week.

What about JackRabbit, Brush Creek and places like that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Come ride brushy creek. Park at Boyd gap and bomb down old copper road to the whitewater center crossover and hit chestnut and thunder rock. These pricks do nothing but flush our tax money down the drain then make big show by pulling this stuff. Feds are out of control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    According to SABA, Jackrabbit is open. The restrooms at the trailhead are locked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Jackrabbit is open. The campground is closed and the pit toilets at the trail head are locked. I just rode there today and am local to the trail.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    What about Chilhowie? We have a trip planned for next week, just trying to put together alternate plans.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side View Post
    What about Chilhowie? We have a trip planned for next week, just trying to put together alternate plans.
    I gotta go to Cleveland this afternoon. I'll see if there's any barriers up at the clemmer trailhead on hwy 30.

mtbr member
    I was told by a Tsali local today that a lot of people have been riding and nothing has been said. I was also told that there is 1 ranger for all of Western NC currently on duty and that he is MTB-friendly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am hearing conflicting reports concerning Tsali. The folks at Motion Makers in Sylva are reporting that enforcement of the closed trails is occurring with warning tickets today & arresting folks starting on Saturday. Not good!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    So everyone is welcome to come to Spartanburg to ride this weekend. Our trails are rough and pretty much unmarked, but they are damn sure open.
    So are the trails in Pisgah, Bent Creek and DuPont.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    I was told by a Tsali local today that a lot of people have been riding and nothing has been said. I was also told that there is 1 ranger for all of Western NC currently on duty and that he is MTB-friendly.
    I am sure there is more than 1 ranger in ALL of Western NC.

That being said, do what you want, I just don't want hear anyone coming here and crying about the gray area again.

It sucks, but there is plenty of legal riding in WNC and much of it is better that Tsali.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I am sure there is more than 1 ranger in ALL of Western NC.

That being said, do what you want, I just don't want hear anyone coming here and crying about the gray area again.

It sucks, but there is plenty of legal riding in WNC and much of it is better that Tsali.
    Please tell me the open trails in WNC that are in the same league, or better than Tsali.

Serious question, not being a smartass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Jackrabbit, if you're looking for a similar style.

DuPont State Recreational Forest if you don't mind upping the technicality a notch, and some gravel road interconnections. It also has better scenery and variety.

Pisgah if you don't mind a lot more tech, but a ton of variety in between.

There are no bike-legal trails *closed* in the area, with the possible exception of Tsali and Kerr Scott...
    Last edited by mtbwnc; 10-05-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: did I just get trolled?

mtbr member
    Please tell me the open trails in WNC that are in the same league, or better than Tsali.

Seriously, Tsali is fun to ride mostly just to be able to say you rode Tsali, but it ranks way down the list compared to most of what WNC has to offer.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008

Literally every single one

mtbr member
    Hey guys we are going on vacation to gatlinburg this next week, was planning on hitting tsali but now need some other options, anybody have any suggestions knowing that I'll be staying in the gatlinburg area (cabin is there at least)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The trails at Western Carolina University are open & about the same distance from Gatlinburg as Tsali. 6.8 miles of purposed built trails with around 1700' of climbing. Check out the WCU.edu website for more info. Jackrabbit, near Hayesville is still open. Bent Creek & all of the Pisgah District just southwest of Asheville.

mtbr member
    So did anybody ride Tsali over the weekend?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast