mtbr member

Trying to move to Asheville area

I already know there's good riding there, and I'm a kayaker so it seems like a pretty sweet location and a cool city from what I've heard and read. My wife actually prompted the desire to move, she wants to be closer to family, and with my family and hers spread between Michigan, Indiana, and the DC area its within a (long) day's drive to all of those. We've lived Colorado Springs since 2007 and I really didn't want to leave and give up skiing initially, but my knees are pretty shot from multiple ACL injuries so I can deal with sweet riding and boating (hopefully year round) to replace skiing. I know there's skiing in the western NC area, but I'd rather just quit after skiing in Colorado.

Anyway, to get to the point and the reason for my post, a couple specific things I'd love to know more about.

I currently make about 20-30% of my income playing guitar in bands on the weekends here and I'm wondering what the local music scene is like. I'd love to keep supplementing my income with something I love doing. I'm used to driving an hour or two for gigs, so it doesn't have to be Asheville specific, but the more local opportunities the better.

My wife wants to find a place with a little land, nothing huge, just a couple acres. She's tired of small city lots and in some ways I am too, even though I'd be happy in a cool urban neighborhood as well. She's been looking online at houses in some of the smaller surrounding communities within about 20 miles of downtown Asheville. Any recommendations of places to look at or places to avoid in the area?

We're going to try to rent a car and drive down when we're visiting family in DC this spring to check things out in person, but I'd love some local knowledge to get a head start. I appreciate any info. Thanks.

mtbr member
    You will like Asheville a lot. Plenty of music, but a lot of it carries a little twang with it. If you move here you will be giving up skiing, period. If you are lucky you will see a few inches here and there . You can tolerate the skiing here if you have young kids. The trails and rivers will be what you make of them. Bring your job with you and expect a pay cut. But its still cheaper than a ski town. Check out areas south and west of Ashevegas as a that's where the trails are focused and some of the better rivers are located. However downtown is fun and has the music. Hendersonville is minutes from the Green if creeking is your thing, Brevard is next to Pisgah Nat'l forest.

I think DC is around 8 hrs by car. You can fly South West to Greenville,SC pretty cheap.

You also get the extra bonus of having "hero" lungs for a short time.
    Last edited by 2bfluid; 11-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image, NOT YOURS.

Speed just slows me down...

Big Mac
    Some neighborhoods here have large lots. Mine is almost an acre. I live in Oakley. It's close to town and has easy access to interstates. Kenilworth is another. If you gotta have your rural 2 acres, then I'd look south towards mills river. Avoid the west. North is nice, but you're moving away from everything there. Asheville has a very active music scene. It's a vibrant little city. Lots of boating and biking opportunities available year round. Well, for the most part. How do you earn the remaining 70-80% of your income? Your wife?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are looking for a less urban and somewhat less expensive land situation, look outside of Buncombe County and toward the north (Madison County), or to the west (Haywood County). With the interstate system, even if you live 15-20 miles out from Asheville you can enjoy living in a less built up area with great roadriding, and still have access to all of the trails surrounding the Asheville area.

mtbr member
    If you are into hair boating, the Green River is just 30 minutes south. There are tons of other good rivers within a 2 hour drive. Most are natural flow, but the Green is dam controlled and runs most of the year.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. I do have a day job, I do tech support for a mobile phone company. I'm going into this expecting to lose pay, which is one reason I really want to be able to keep playing music for extra money. My wife is a speech therapist and has never had a problem finding work.

Regarding boating, I know there's a ton of creeks there including the Green, which is part of why I want to be there. I'm not a creeker at this point, just river running and play, but creeking is where I want to progress. I'd also like to try raft guiding as a second job if music doesn't work out. Seems like there's a lot of rafting companies within an hour or two.

And twang is fine with me, one of my current bands is a country band.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I live in Oakley.
    me too

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    me too
    Seriously?

Big Mac
    Lots of creeks and lots of rafts around. Plenty of play spots too. And believe it or not, we do have backcountry skiing opportunities if you're willing to work for it and winter actually pays a visit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Seriously?
    really

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    really
    I knew we had a connection.

mtbr member
    Bromance to follow?
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image, NOT YOURS.

Speed just slows me down...

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Bromance to follow?
    Wait, is this Craig's list?