mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Trip Planning - Western NC - Spring?

We're considering planning a trip to the Asheville area/Western North Carolina this spring and haven't been able to find a lot of good information on spring mountain biking conditions. How are trail conditions in western NC starting in April through May?

Would it be smart to plan the trip in early to mid spring, or wait for early/mid summer?

Being from the midwest I've always gone west for mountain bike trips, however we're looking for something new this year. From what I've heard Asheville is a great place to start. Any information or links are much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Check the two Sticky threads at the top of the forum list...

Trail Conditions is a nearly two-year history of comments which give a pretty good diea of what kind of conditions you might find.

Pisgah Area Trails and Visitor Info is the one-stop beginning to your answers.

If you are all-in for riding just come to Brevard. More, bettter trails and less driving. If you want some scene too then Asheville may be more your style. But there's still plenty to do in Brevard between some good local clubs, great brews at The Hub, and Oskar Blue's within a few minutes by bike.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Pisgah is a rain forest. Temps will likely be fine for you in April/May, especially coming out of a midwest winter (I moved from Iowa to WNC). There is absolutely no telling what you'll get as far as rain though. It could rain every day or you could have the best weather ever...no way to tell.

We may get a foot of snow tomorrow...but it is also supposed to be in the 50s Friday through Sunday...go figure.

Depending on what you are looking for in your trip you might consider staying in the Brevard area. You'll be closer to Pisgah and DuPont (further from Bent Creek). There are some stickied threads on here for folks that are visiting and have questions. Asheville will have more going on for entertainment at night. Brevard will still have 2 breweries and live music somewhere here every night of the week, potentially in 3-4 places on any give night.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks guys. Brevard is definitely in consideration as well. Appreciate all the info. I'll check out the stickies in more detail, I just hadn't seen anything that concrete from locals on the seasons. Didn't want to be 'that guy' and show up in the spring expecting to ride dirt when it's obviously a no go/etc.

We're also thinking of bringing road bikes in case of wet days. Is Brevard still preferable for road rides vs Asheville?

Any specific recommendations on lodging near Brevard? I've found some decent condos in the Asheville area. An affordable condo would be preferable due to being able to cook meals and shower after long days.

jn, we'll be coming from central Iowa and it has been a brutal winter! The worst I can remember in a long while... beyond ready to get outta here for awhile!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here's a recent thread about where to stay in Brevard.

Brevard/hotel question.

I was in Iowa City the last 5 years, lots of friends back there still. Sounds like it has been a tough winter (get a fatbike)!

Road riding is nice here too! Blue Ridge Parkway is a 25 minute drive from town, or just ride to it if you like the climbing. If you google a little about cycling in Brevard you'll find all sorts of suggested routes on various local websites.

Happy to try to join you for a ride if you find yourself down here this spring. Just send a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Thanks guys. Brevard is definitely in consideration as well. Appreciate all the info. I'll check out the stickies in more detail, I just hadn't seen anything that concrete from locals on the seasons. Didn't want to be 'that guy' and show up in the spring expecting to ride dirt when it's obviously a no go/etc.

We're also thinking of bringing road bikes in case of wet days. Is Brevard still preferable for road rides vs Asheville?

Any specific recommendations on lodging near Brevard? I've found some decent condos in the Asheville area. An affordable condo would be preferable due to being able to cook meals and shower after long days.

jn, we'll be coming from central Iowa and it has been a brutal winter! The worst I can remember in a long while... beyond ready to get outta here for awhile!

Rogue Exterminator
    The only predictable thing about the weather here is that it will be totally unpredictable.

I have seen clear skies predicted while getting rain dumped on me.
    Torrential down pours predicted on days that you get nothing but blue skies.
    I have seen temps almost 20 over the predicted high for the day.
    Temps change 20 in a 15 miles distance.
    Literally been on the motorcycle in a 55 hail storm and 5 miles down the road on the other side of the mountain get to blue skies and 85 temps where it never rained.

The area is great and has some incredible mountain biking. It is worth the risk but the best plan is to have a back up plan no matter what time of year you come.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    skip link; brevard-red house inn. the bungalow has a full kitchen. owners rock.

Rogue Exterminator
    Another suggestion is to camp.
    For one if you need to ditch out and go some place else you won't be out any money.

Also look for the PAS/SORBA Spring Fling.
    They rent the large group campsite.
    It is car camping with restrooms and all free.
    It is held in the middle of April before the seasonal trails close.
    I can't say for sure but I would guess it will be April 11-13 since that is the last weekend before seasonal trails close.

It is open to 100 people so it will be a good time to meet people and get ride suggestions or tag along with others that know their way.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.