Man up
    Sep 2010

Trip to Jacksonville/Wilmington, NC from FL. Anything worth it along the way?

I will be making a weekend trip to Jacksonville, NC from FL and I will have one shot for a couple hours at a trail. What trail would y'all recommend? I'll be coming up 95 then going from Lumberton on 74/76 and would like something en route.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not exactly on your way, but a detour to FATS would be well worth it if you could squeek out a 1/2 day on your way up.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Blue Clay Park in Wilimington is pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can ride the Brig trail on Lejeune or ride NRT on New River or Ride the Pitttt at Cherry Pt. When and where you going to be? I live in J-ville and work on New River.

Check out www.fat-tire-underground.com for local trails and rides.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Oh snaps, perfect. I'll be looking for a ride on Sat Feb 5th in the morning.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member

Wilmington

I'm in Wilmington. I just sent a long message about area trails to a guy who moved to the area. Scroll down on this link (all you need in Wilmington area).

Shallotte NC

Below are some options on the way though (check trail status before you commit though):

FATS is great if you can spare the time. It's 4.5 hours one way from Wilmington but you could, perhaps, head northwest from Savanah and go through Augusta and then take I20 back to I95 to resume your trip.

http://sorbacsra.org/

A little closer off I-95 to the northwest is Uhwarrie NF. A good option if you can't go all the way to Augusta, GA (FATS).

http://www.sorbauwharrie.org/

I'm told there are some decent trails in Columbia, SC (about an hour west on 1-20 when you get to Florence, SC) but I've never ridden there. It would be your halfway point to FATS by way of I-20.

Once you get here:

There are the above trails in the Wilmington area

2 hours one way can land you in Raleigh (Crabtree is my favorite there):

http://www.trianglemtb.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1
    You can ride the Brig trail on Lejeune or ride NRT on New River or Ride the Pitttt at Cherry Pt. When and where you going to be? I live in J-ville and work on New River.

Check out www.fat-tire-underground.com for local trails and rides.
    Awesome, I just moved to the area and work civil service at Camp Lejeune, need to get up with you guys sometime.