ride free

Trip to Greenville and Charlotte

I'll be in greenville charlotte area during beg of december: is there a way of having great riding there? I do all mountain and freeride. I'll appreciate any suggestion. For a great week end in that area.I've car but need to rent the mtb...thanks to all the fox in advance

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T con Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Contact Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest SC(just a few miles from Greenville). They can rent you a bike and get you to the local trails.

Rogue Exterminator
    Although Greenville and Charlotte both have trails, if you have just a little extra time while you are on the Greenville leg of the trip and come up the Asheville or Brevard NC, you will be in the premier area on the East Coast for mountain biking. When in Greenville, you will only be about an hour from both Dupont and Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Like mentioned above Dupont & Pisgah are only an hour away. However,if scheduling doesn't allow. Ride Paris Mtn in Greenville. I rode it today and had a blast.

mtbr member
    Contact Tarheel TrailBlazers Charlotte's Premier Mountain Bike Club for riding in the Charlotte area...they will not steer ya wrong.

I know Paris Mountain near Greenville SC had a super d/enduro race there recently...so it might be the all mtn thing you are looking for.

Paris Mountain, SC. 2011 downhill Bill Miller winning run - YouTube

Sarah hammering down Paris mountain downhill course.... Jan 2012 - YouTube
    Last edited by Dresdenlock; 11-26-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    Contact Tarheel TrailBlazers Charlotte's Premier Mountain Bike Club for riding in the Charlotte area...they will not steer ya wrong.

I know Paris Mountain near Greenville SC had a super d/enduro race there recently...so it might be the all mtn thing you are looking for.

Paris Mountain, SC. 2011 downhill Bill Miller winning run - YouTube

Sarah hammering down Paris mountain downhill course.... Jan 2012 - YouTube
    That trail (Sulphur Springs) is gone - rerouted/replaced by a smoother, switchbacked XC type run. It's fun, but I'll miss the old downhill course.

Paris is still a great way to spend about half a day if you are a fairly strong rider. Nothing really techy, and Kanuga is fun. From the junction at Fire Tower, head west for steep downhill type fun, or head east for fast, rolling fun and plenty of air time and turn left on Brissy Ridge/ left onto Pipsissewa to end up at the lake and ride the loop. Return the same way (unless you want to suffer up Kanuga). The park is closed to bikes on Saturday, and only remains open until 6 pm in the winter except for Tuesday (9 pm) if you are interested in night riding.

For a long day (if you are in Greenville) the closest fun is Dupont. From the Corn Mill Shoals lot ride out Corn MIll Shoals/Little River and take the second left on Cedar Rock to ride/push up. The downhill side of Cedar Rock/Big Rock are fun techy runs along with Burnt Mountain (the end of the Eastern leg heading back into Corn Mill Shoals will test your skills). On the North side from Guion Farms head up the gravel road to run down Rocky Ridge, cut over to Rifle/left on Guion/right on Hickory Mountain. Pick up Ridgeline and fly. Try to wipe the smile off your face at the end. Those are my favorites, Along with Reasonover Creek, Airstrip, and Laurel Ridge Have fun exploring the rest of the area - the junctions are well marked and a map is necessary. There aren't any really seriously bad or long climbs and it's hard to go wrong anywhere there - just wing it! If you want more of a leg workout, driving furthur up to Pisgah opens up a world of trails. As was suggested, ask at the local shops (Sunrift in Trvelers Rest and The Hub in Brevard if you make it up there)

Enjoy!
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

ride free
    Thanks to everybody!!! I've got got many ideas for my MTB stay there!
    During spring I've to come back again in NC and PA but here I got many useful information! thanks again

Rogue Exterminator
    If you decide to come up to Asheville or Brevard on a weekend, let me know.
    I know my way around Dupont pretty well and have friends that know Pisgah well. Can help you rent a bike up here too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jleeasc View Post
    Contact Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest SC(just a few miles from Greenville). They can rent you a bike and get you to the local trails.

Coming in March 2013: A bike park in Gateway Park behind Sunrift. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Coming in March 2013: A bike park in Gateway Park behind Sunrift. Stay tuned.
    Is it not finished yet? I played on old track a few months back. When I came back from riding Swamp Rabbit a crew was working on the changes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Muxherdlr View Post
    Is it not finished yet? I played on old track a few months back. When I came back from riding Swamp Rabbit a crew was working on the changes.
    Pump track was built in July 2011, and rebuilt this year. That was phase 1, and much more is to come.

-Wood features
    -PBR trail (a short gavity fed track with pumps, berms and rollers)
    -A woodland trail
    -Permiter trail around entire park with skill features on entire length
    etc

Construction will begin in late Feb and full build will be complete in late March.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Idea!

Pump track was built in July 2011, and rebuilt this year. That was phase 1, and much more is to come.

-Wood features
    -A woodland trail
    etc

Construction will begin in late Feb and full build will be complete in late March.
    That's Awesome! I live in NC but only 20 minutes from TR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I and heading down on Monday to start the planning/design phase of the project.

This is funed with RTP (Recreational Trails Program) grant money and UpState SORBA will be involved and serving as the needed volunteer match (RTP grants are 80/20 so there have to be some local matching funds or in-kind contributions to these projects).

Bike park will be kid and family friendly but a little something for a wide range of riders.

ride free
    Spent all morning in Dupont till noon: followed suggestion by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat from Corn Mill Shoals, tons of sinlgletracks, beautifull skyview, great technical sessions... a perfect ride.
    I've rent a front trek 29er at Liberty Bike where I've found a detailed map also, that save me around burnt mountain...not enought for this type of trail having an hardtail in the back!.
    Crossing the river in that I dislike most: no solution except by feet into cold water and slipping continuously.
    Thanks to all folks for suggestion received and hoping really have some more occasion to stay in this area....and if you came to Alps....

mtbr member
    May 2009

-Wood features
    -A woodland trail
    etc

Do you know how long the woodland trail will be? Greenville is in SORE need of trails.... we have 15 miles at Paris Mountain and you can't even ride there on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    " if you came to Alps...."

Glad you had a great day in Dupont.

You live in the alps?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I read this thread as acid trip from Greenville to Charlotte .... Wrong website I guess

mtbr member
    " if you came to Alps...."

Glad you had a great day in Dupont.

You live in the alps?
    About ACDCIT

From
    (City, State or Country)
    Italy North
    Year started riding
    Favorite type of riding
    (can choose more than
    All Mountain
    Favorite Trail
    Alps
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

ride free
    Yes, I live in Dolomithes area, 2 hours north from Venice
    Distances are different in Italy and you get from the sea to mountains in quite short time...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    I read this thread as acid trip from Greenville to Charlotte .... Wrong website I guess
    you're just still delirious from the new maze section at BYT