Thoughtful Responder
    Feb 2004

Trails near Fairview, NC?

Howdy, y'all:

A friend suggested that the collective trail brain here was a good place for solid information. In just a couple weeks, I'll be in Fairview, NC for about 10 days. Wondered about trails in the area. If they were <30min, or even better, if they were within riding distance from here: nesbitt chapel road fairview nc - Google Maps that would be even better.

I'm a moderately accomplished XC type rider, and tend to like challenging XC style riding. I'm not really set up (with equipment or physically!) for big-air or pump track type stuff.

So, with all that said, any suggestions? Thanks in advance, and of course, don't forget to:

Ride smart, stay safe, have fun.

Sincerely,
    DJflite
    Sincerely,
    Dahron Johnson
    Vanderbilt Divinity School
    Nashville, TN

e: djcontraption A att D net

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Head to Old Fort. Check out the ORAMM routes for trails. Kitsuma, Heartbreak, a small gravel grinder called Curtis Creek Rd.

Thoughtful Responder
    Feb 2004
    aircooled:

Thanks for that. I've done a bigger road loop from where we'll be staying that takes in the old 70 climb that looks like it's also part of the ORAMM route. The nicely-sized topo on their site is really helpful. Thanks for the great suggestion. All the best, and who knows, maybe I'll see you out on the trails.

So, folks, any other suggestions to add to the list?

DAJ
    Sincerely,
    Dahron Johnson
    Nashville, TN

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Trails near Fairview, NC?

You won't be that far from Bent Creek, Pisgah proper (near Brevard), DuPont, or Bracken. I'd advise that you look back over some old threads, as this topic comes up all the time. Any recommendation really should hinge on your skill level and riding preference. There are tons of options within about 45 minutes of Fairview. When you search old threads, look for topics covering rides near Asheville.

In addition to what you hear online, check out Pisgah Map company (search online) and consider stopping by one of our many local shops.

Thoughtful Responder
    Feb 2004
    rsa:

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and suggestions. I'm familiar with the areas you suggest, and also agree that much depends on my skill level (as a side note, what would it say about my ability if I just had given to me a photo of me and a teammate from the startline of a Camp Carolina race--in 1991?; LOL!). While they certainly aren't out of the question, I figured I'd test the waters here to see if there were any hidden treasures that were closer to where we're staying. I like to try to ride to the ride, or minimize the driving as much as possible.

With plug duly noted (any updates on Android availability? an add-on to something like Backcountry Navigator would be awesome), I'll also make sure to stop by a place that stocks your wares to check them out!

Again, my many thanks, and of course:

Ride smart, stay safe, have fun!

Sincerely,
    DAJ
    Sincerely,
    Dahron Johnson
    Nashville, TN

Rogue Exterminator
    If you are riding by yourself and don't know the area, I recommend Bent Creek and DuPont.
    There is a lot of good trails in both those spots with plenty to keep anyone happy and you will never be more than a couple miles from the car if something happens.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    There's off the radar stuff but it's illegal and overgrown this time of year. It's only good for exploring any way and the actual riding isn't great. Unfortunately you're really close to some great single track too bad it's for hiking only. Maybe some day our National Parks will open trails for us.

Bent Creek is the best bet for quality trails per square mile. Kitsuma is a great DH followed by a paved road climb (with great views) but it's not my favorite loop by a long shot. DuPont has a couple of absolute GEMS: Ridgeline (might be the only local flow style trail that I'm aware of), Airstrip, Cedar Rock has the famous east coast slick rock - the problem is that linking them all together takes a lot of work and the trails not on this list are beyond boring. I rarely make the drive there any more, it takes some effort to get there from Fairview for sure...
    My one says BRAP!