mtbr member

Trails Near Asheville?

Howdy-

Going to Asheville for a few days this weekend and wanted to find some trails close to town. Taking the SO and want to ride some with her on some shweet mellow singletrack, but also want to hit some harder trails on my own.

I know there are a lot of trails in the area, but don't know any specific ones as I've never ridden there.

Thanks for any help...RC

pronounced may-duh
    I suggest bent creek. A variety of trails & close to town. Get a map at any LBS.

For more advanced stuff head to Pisgah. Get a guide book and map also at any LBS. Easy to get lost in Pisgah.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xPneu
    Howdy-

Going to Asheville for a few days this weekend and wanted to find some trails close to town. Taking the SO and want to ride some with her on some shweet mellow singletrack, but also want to hit some harder trails on my own.

I know there are a lot of trails in the area, but don't know any specific ones as I've never ridden there.

Thanks for any help...RC
    If you want a killer ride on your own, and love to go fast for a while, then Kitzuma is the one you NEED to hit. It is about 10 miles outside of Asheville near Black MTN. Take the ridegcrest exit and go right off I-40, make a right at the T in the road. Go straight past Ridgecrest conference center and about 1/2 mile straight ahead is the parking lot. The bike trail keeps going straight as when you were driving in, it has about a mile switchback in the beginning that is a pain in the A$$, but , then you get a quick reward with some steep decending then another little bit of a climb, and then finally about 10-15 minutes, depends on how fast you are of descending. If you don't want to do the old 40 4 -5 mile climb out, then have your wife pick you up where the trail dumps out at Old Fort campground. If you want to climb all the way out make a left out of old fort campground and go straight until you run into OLD HWY 40 gate, go through it and climb climb climb. It's gradual, but long, and you will come back up to the trail head where the parking lot will be on your left. Have fun