James Adams

Trails in Madison County, NC (Mars Hill, Marshall, Hot Springs)?

Can anyone suggest MTB trails in Madison County? I'm considering moving up there from downtown Asheville but I'm concerned that I'll miss the easy access to trails that I have from Asheville (Bent Creek, Dupont, and Brevard/Pisgah which are all in the other direction), and it's not obvious that there are as many trails available (or as many concentrated in one area) in Madison County.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

--James

mtbr member
    James- there are not as many established trails- at all. Last I checked, there was probably less than 20 miles of established trail. Coleman Boundary had as much to offer as all of Madison County. There's a hiking outfitter, cannot remember name, in Hot Springs. They'll go over the map with you and show you what's supposed to be there, or at least they did with me. I'd suggest that route.

It's very likely there's a ton of old roadbeds, goat paths, hunting spurs, and other community trails on both public and private lands. If that kind of exploring is your cup of tea, this seems like it would be a good area for it...except for how some people might react to accidental trespassing

Hope that helps at least a little bit.

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    Fear not my friend, there's plenty of great riding in that neck of the woods. Rocky Fork, just over sams gap has many miles of trails and old haul grades. Untill about a year ago this was the largest tract of privately owned land in the eastern US- a little over 10,000 acres. Now its protected and in the process of being transfered to the state and USFS.
    Here's an article about Rocky Fork from Blue Ridge Outdoors

The hot springs area also has lots of trails, mostly north of the river, though not any farther from most of madison county as pisgah is from downtown asheville. And there's Coleman as MB mentioned. Just stay away from shelton laurel, spookiest place on earth.

If you like epic rides its possible to get from hot springs to johnson city along the crest of the mountain with only about 10% of the route on pavement and entirely staying on trails that are legal for mtbs to be on. That ride is 75 miles each way.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

James Adams
    Thanks a lot, thumpduster; this is a really helpful and encouraging response.

It's funny that you mention Shelton Laurel -- that's the area where I'm considering buying land and building a cabin/homestead. Someone else has mentioned Hickey Fork as a possible MTB trail near Shelton Laurel, but I've only found information about it being a hiking trail up to a waterfall. Do you know about this trail? Is it rideable, or mainly just for hiking?

--James

mtbr member
    [QUOTEThat ride is 75 miles each way][/QUOTE]

Wow I could handle the 5 miles part Its close to me and I never knew that was there so thanks thumpduster

mtbr member
    Rocky Fork is awesome! made it there three times this year and saw no one! Mostly overgrown double track there are some good maps here http://www.ntmba.org/index.php?name=Downloads&c=5 Just be aware there are some big rattlers up there and they tend to not yield trail( at least not the one I almost ran over)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster

If you like epic rides its possible to get from hot springs to johnson city along the crest of the mountain with only about 10% of the route on pavement and entirely staying on trails that are legal for mtbs to be on. That ride is 75 miles each way.
    how do we get info on this route?

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    Most all of the route can be seen on the Trails Illustrated map "782 French Broad & Nolichucky Rivers". Keep in mind the trails illustrated map is horribly innaccurate- same thing goes for the USGS Flag Pond quad- in the portion that covers the rocky fork area. Both show roads and trails that do not, and have never, existed. They also ommit major sections of service roads and trails that you need to use to get through the area. Use the map that's posted on the ntmba site.
    I can always be talked into showing folks around at rocky fork, just be ready for lots of climbing.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

all your base
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but happened across it while searching for any developments up Hickey's fork. Did you end up moving to Shelton Laurel? I've been away for college the last few years and haven't been around to ride much. I grew up deep in Shelton Laurel and my parents still live there. I love every minute I am home, not nearly as spooky as you think and I can't wait to move back Though we are as redneck as people fear, we are not slow as some people claim. Three kids from my class of 150, including myself, are in medical school now. Anyone else find anything worth riding in Madison?

Rocky Fork, btw, is a beautiful place to spend time. Highly recommended.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Bet there'z alotta bridge ridez 'round there huh?
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    We just bought 10 acres in marshall and I've been doing research on trails in the area also...

now, isnt there alexander park just north of asheville?

http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/alexanderpark.pdf

and I also read something about a new lift assisted mtb park 25 miles north of asheville in Breakaway village? With a freeride park and everything? I read some old posts on this forum from guys who rode it, so I know it existed at one point in time
    Deltona (between daytona and orlando)
    2006 trek liquid with beefy freeride components for my fat arse

all your base
    We got bridges out der wha-zoo!

There is, but I haven't been there in ~8 years. At the time it was under construction but had potential, I would love to know if they ever finished it. Has anyone been there recently?

The lift-assisted park was called 26West and was open for a single season I made it up there to watch the one DH and DS race they held. It was scheduled to open the next year as well but, if I understand correctly, the trail designer/manager took a position somewhere else and it hasn't been picked back up. Real shame! It would be great to have a lift-assisted park in the south!

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Awesome bike trails right outside Johnson City, TN TN State Parks: Warriors' Path State Park
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.