mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Trails Around Cary/Raleigh?

Hey guys, I am coming up to NC next month for thanksgiving for acouple of days to visit family in the Raleigh/Cary area. Wondering if there are any good trails around to check out.. Would love to get some riding in. Thanks in advance!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the info posted on Trianglemtb.com.

PM me. There a bunch out here. I can show you around the ones I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

^^Hey now, let's not be giving up all the secrets right off the bat.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

dog
    sit! stay!
    there are plenty of trails and a few are actually good, considering we have no actual mountains

something for most skill levels, too...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    alright guys gonna go riding today. Closest trail to me is Crabtree Park. But I was also wanting to try that trail on Old reedy creek road and weston pkwy that jij0226 posted about. Is it hard to find?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Directions edited...
    Last edited by jij0226; 11-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Transition Covert FTW

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome! How long is the trail? And what the condition of the trail? Lots of climbs or technical?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ...Disaster averted
    Last edited by jij0226; 11-27-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Transition Covert FTW

Thanks dude, want to draw a map and post that too? Stop what you're doing and think for a second.

Rogue Exterminator
    jij0226, I know you mean well, but use a little common sense when posting about trail locations. You should only post about sanctioned public trails. If you post about unsanctioned secret trails, they will get shut down ruining for you and everyone else that uses it.

However, that being said, thanks. Next time I visit my sister in Apex, I will see if my brother-in-law wants to go ride it.

^^Hit me up too. I'll ride with ya. Despite the fact that you like to be an asshat in the vegan/veg thread .

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    ^^Hit me up too. I'll ride with ya. Despite the fact that you like to be an asshat in the vegan/veg thread .
    Only if you don't make me eat veggies. lol

Might be heading that way for Christmas, not sure yet.
    Will let you know.

I don't care if your dietary fare consists of nothing but poop--human or otherwise--you ride MTB's and, as such, I'll ride with ya. And no, I won't force my diet on you and don't care if you order a giant rack of ribs; my veggie burger will be fine for me. Keep me posted, I can't usually make weekday rides since I work. I can do nights though. All day in weekends.

cjk
    How's New Light? I checked out Beaverdam a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it! Like to check out New Light but heard it's only open on Sundays this time of year. I've only been riding now for 3 months and enjoy myself around Crabtree...

Rocky and hillish from what I remember of my ride. To be fair, I only ever rode there once and I was super hungover. It's kinda far from me so I tend not to ride it. Seemed like my kind of place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    New Light - Great trail but probably the toughest one in the Triangle. Lots of rocks and log-overs. 2-3 really steep, slippery climbs. No gap jumps. Great scenery. Easy to get lost. If you ride the perimeter and don't miss the right turn below the big rock garden it's about an 8 mile loop. Non-directional but most people ride it counterclockwise. Abide by the rules and don't ride it any other day of the week unless you want to get shot by a hunter.

Try it out and just be prepared to a walk a few sections. Like a lot of trails, it is pretty tough the first time you ride it but it gets easier after you've done it a few times. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Agree w/ jnroyal. Also, the maps out on the trail are not up to date, the one on TriangleMTB.com is up to date, but my post count is too low to do the hyperlink.

Some people ride Beaverdam in the winter and New Light in the summer.
    The end of hunting season in May coincides with New Light opening everyday as well as Beaverdam charging the entrance fee.