Thread: Trail work day

mtbr member

Trail work day

On Sunday the 10th at 1:00PM, Todd Branham has a group from Brevard College and Warren Wilson College planning to do some volunteer work on Squirrel Gap Trail. You are invited to attend and help out. I will be out of town, but I will take him up there Thurs. afternoon to show him what we have been doing and what is still needed. It will be mostly bench cuts in areas the bench has collapsed. You will need your bike and some work gloves. Bring plenty of water and any snacks you may need to keep the fire in the belly burning. The area will be in the section between Laurel Creek and Horse Cove. That section is off limits to horses and has been adopted by PAS. There is a huge effort by equestrians to get access to this section and they are making a lot of noise about their desire to help work on this area. The results we produce will ensure that this section doesnít erode into what other areas of that trail look like. Itís time a lot of you step up to the plate and help out, otherwise you may find yourself sharing a trail that has a 12 inch tread with horses. If youíve never been on that trail, you are missing the sweetest stuff Pisgah has to offer. Meet at the Turkeypen parking lot around 12:45 on Sunday. Drop Todd an e-mail if you can come (epicrides@gmail.com). If you canít make it, plan on coming in January. You can visit our website at http://pisgahareasorba.org/index.html

Thanks,

Mark Allmond
    allmondm@mchsi.com
    421-5843

mtbr member
    Old dude, Hey man we really appreciate your guys efforts fixing the trails down there in Pisgah. My buddies and I have been riding down there for 9 years now and I don't think there are many better places to ride than Pisgah, even more than alot of out west stuff. We travel from Indy quite often to come down and ride and enjoy your guys woods . Could I ask a favor of you guys to check out the huge tree top blocking the trail just past Horse Cove on Squirrel Gap going towards SMR. This thing is huge and makes it a b!tch to get thru there. It definitely will take some serious chain saw work. Just thought I'd throw it out there since you guys will be working very close to this spot. Thanks again for ya'lls efforts.

mtbr member
    Reigman- I'm not sure where the tree you are talking about is. If it's on the west side of Horse Cove, that section of trail is designated for equestrian use and maintenance by their club, so they'll get to it soon.
    If' it's on the east side between Horse Cove and Laurel Creek, it's staying. Huge downed trees discourage equestrian use of this section of trail and will be left so long as it's possible to scramble your way over them. We'll only take it out if users, particularly equestrians, start bushwhacking their way around the tree creating an erosive alternate line.

Make sense?
    Mike

mtbr member
    I am gonna' have to miss this one, sorry guys, work constraints have me tied up until after Christmas. After then, we, PAS that is, should try and plan work days and announce them at least 3 weeks in advance due to the fact that folks like me with a schedule planned out 2 weeks in advance can ask off from work in order to lend a hand (major run-on sentence; LOL). Regardless, a big "THANK YOU" goes out to any and all doing trail work in our "neck" of the woods. It is appreciated, MUCH RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Ya Mike it's west of Horse Cove about 1/4 mile or so on Squirrel Gap. It's just before a creek crossing after you have descended from Horse Cove. This tree is huge and takes a major hike a bike up around and over the huge trunk and branches. There's no way horses could get thru unless they buschwack a new trail between the existing trail and the creek. By the way who is doing the trail work on Horse Cove above Squirrel?

mtbr member
    Todd called last night and said that there were 20 people at the trail work day on Squirrel Gap. They completed all the benchwork we flagged and rock armoured that section by the cliffs. Believe it or not, Todd and I rode up there Friday morning before I left town to flag the stuff. It was well below 20 degrees at the parking lot and I didn't even want to know how cold it was up top. I want to thank everyone who turned out on Sunday on behalf of all Mtn Bikers. The best reward you will get is that feeling you will have the next time you ride over the areas you helped on. I encourage all of you who haven't had the chance to come to one of these to give it a try. It can become an addiction.