mtbr member

Trail recommendations near Boone, NC

Several of us our coming down in April to ride the Kerr Scott area. We'll be staying in Boone and looking for recommendations of must ride trails while in the area. We've rode Dupont and Bent Creek in years past and prefer new ones to explore.

Thanks,

Big Mac

Try Pisgah.

Rogue Exterminator
    How close do you want to stay to Boone?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    How close do you want to stay to Boone?
    That just seemed like the best place for camping options and relatively close to most of the trails.

Did you have a suggestion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Check out Rocky Knob

rockyknob.wordpress.com

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    That just seemed like the best place for camping options and relatively close to most of the trails.

Did you have a suggestion?
    I think you're pretty far off base with that. You may want to rethink.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I think you're pretty far off base with that. You may want to rethink.
    Living in Boone, I would have to agree. I would say camp at warrior creek or bandits roost for campsite access to the Kerr Scott trails and then move towards Asheville. Stop for 1/2 a day at rocky knob on the way...

Rogue Exterminator
    What is your idea of camping? Do you want to rough it like real woodsmen and hike miles out where you don't see a sole the whole time you are there or do you just want to stay in tents close the car and have a few brews around a fire while telling stories?

If your main purpose is the ride and you just want to stay outside in tents close to the vehicles, there are plenty of free campsites in Pisgah right off the road in Mills River and you will be surrounded by some great trails. The sites are maybe about 50-100 feet from the road. You could ride out from the sites or hop in the car and go other places near by. (I don't know how strict they may be on drinking beer out there though since it is still a state forest.)

Big Mac

Pisgah is a national forest and not a state forest. Beer is legal. LE does take issue with rabble rousing on white pines road.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Pisgah is a national forest and not a state forest. Beer is legal.
    Doh! I knew it was a national forest, don't know why I typed state but I still didn't know beer was legal in a national forest. That is good to know. Thanks.

So does that include Bent Creek too?

(Not that it really matters much because I still take a cooler out to DuPont during the summer. There is just something about popping the top immediately after a ride that makes it so yummy. lol)

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Doh! I knew it was a national forest, don't know why I typed state but I still didn't know beer was legal in a national forest. That is good to know. Thanks.

So does that include Bent Creek too?

(Not that it really matters much because I still take a cooler out to DuPont during the summer. There is just something about popping the top immediately after a ride that makes it so yummy. lol)
    Bent Creek is an odd can of worms. While I think alcohol is technically legal, you can't camp in BC. LEO would likely frown upon parking lot consumption. I guess you could walk a piece into the woods and have beer. 😄The experimental designation has different rules.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    The rules on alcohol may vary from place to place. I know from experience alcohol is illegal at Brown Mtn near Morganton. Back around 2002 that was a $75 fine.
    i ride bikes

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank View Post
    The rules on alcohol may vary from place to place. I know from experience alcohol is illegal at Brown Mtn near Morganton. Back around 2002 that was a $75 fine.
    Pretty sure It's not legal in all parts of pisgah. Just some parts care more than others.

lamer

Re: Trail recommendations near Boone, NC

If it wasn't made clear already, the only trails in the Boone area are Rocky Knob, which is right on the edge of town, and and Emerald Outback, which is on Beech Mtn. Rocky Knob is currently closed for the season, but I'd imagine it'd be open by April, depending on this winter. Emerald Outback cuts through the actual ski slope, so I can't imagine it's not currently closed.

Rogue Exterminator
    Searched google and it seems that some areas in Pisgah along with other national forests, alcohol is prohibited. Many roadside camp sites along with recreational areas, alcohol is prohibited.

Weather or not they enforce it, I suppose it depends on the ranger that sees you and probably also a lot on how you are acting. Also, don't forget it isn't illegal anywhere if you don't get caught.

Abby Design & Constructio
    Feb 2012
    Go to Rocky Knob for some local fun. Let me know if you do and I can meet you there.